Windows 10: "Something Happened" What Next?

Discus and support "Something Happened" What Next? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm trying to update my Windows 8.1 Home laptop to Windows 10 by running setup.exe from a USB stick created by the Media Creation Tool. I get as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Steve C, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Steve C Win User

"Something Happened" What Next?

I'm trying to update my Windows 8.1 Home laptop to Windows 10 by running setup.exe from a USB stick created by the Media Creation Tool.

I get as far as installing the files, a window appears about restarting the PC, then a small grey box saying "Something Happened" appeared.

This is rather uninformative! What should I try to solve this problem?

:)

Steve C, Nov 15, 2015
  2. musum Win User

" SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

SO HERE'S THE LINK TO THAT PIC

http://i26.tinypic.com/2ihbdco.jpg

CAN U PLZ CHECK IT ACTUALLY I HAVE USED THE NOKIA SOFTWARE UPDATER B4 ... BUT I DONT KNW WHY I M GETTING THIS ERROR NOW

musum, Nov 15, 2015
  3. musum Win User
    " SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

i have installed windows xp sp2

previously i was using windows media center i thought i might b facing this probs due to that but then i changed it to windows xp ! n moreover i have also shown to nokia service center executives but they were not having the latest updates available ......
    my pc suite is showing that new update version of firmware is available but i cudnt download it "Something Happened" What Next? :(

oh gawd wat to do ? "Something Happened" What Next? :(

i tried in another pc then again i got an error u need to have minimum 256 ram "Something Happened" What Next? :(

please cant it b rectified ? there must b any solution to this probs please help me guyz

god bless all of u thanx "Something Happened" What Next? :)

musum, Nov 15, 2015
  4. "Something Happened" What Next?

DeaconFrost, Nov 15, 2015
  5. Steve C Win User
    Yes, the system was fine and fully up to date. I found a fix mentioning you may need to set your region / language in Control Panel to English (US) whereas I was English (United Kingdom). I'm just trying again now having made that change.

Steve C, Nov 15, 2015
  6. Steve C Win User
    That fix didn't work.

I get to the blue screen saying "Your PC will restart in a few moments" then after about 1 minute I just get a white info box saying "Windows 10 installtion failed" - see below.

"Something Happened" What Next? [​IMG]

"Something Happened" What Next? [​IMG]

What can I check now and where is the Windows 10 installation error log so I can try to work out what's wrong?

Steve C, Nov 15, 2015
  7. If you have got time, you could try my fix, it will run for about 1-2 hours.

TairikuOkami, Nov 15, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Are all peripherals and accessories disconnected from your computer? The only stuff connected should be keyboard/mouse/monitor/network(optional) and the Windows 10 USB stick. Disconnect all printers, extra drives, etc.

NavyLCDR, Nov 15, 2015
  9. Steve C Win User
    Nothing else is connected - it's a Dell Inspiron 7537 with a single hard drive and nothing else connected apart from the USB installation stick. I do have the latest version of Classic Shell - should I remove it?

Steve C, Nov 15, 2015
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    I couldn't hurt. Also remove any third party anti-virus software.

Another thing you can do, if you have room on your hard drive, is shrink the current partition by about 50GB, create an NTFS empty partition and do a custom Windows 10 clean install to the empty partition. That will set up dual boot with your existing OS and if that completes then you know it is a problem with the previous OS software and not the laptop hardware. Just don't attempt to do a clean install to unallocated space - that will setup a completely clean install with it's own boot files and you will have to reset some files to go back to previous OS.

NavyLCDR, Nov 15, 2015
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Also, this from another forum member:

NavyLCDR, Nov 15, 2015
  12. Steve C Win User
    I'm only using Windows Defender having already removed Kaspersky anti-virus. I'll use MSCONFIG to disable the non-Microsoft services but should I keep the various Intel services e.g. Intel Proset/Wireless Zero Configuration service? Is there an error log which may indicate what's wrong?

When I run setup.exe to install Windows 10, there is an option to get updates which I've skipped. Should I enable this?

Steve C, Nov 15, 2015
  13. Steve C Win User

Here are the last few lines of the log file setupact.log. Does this help indicate the likely problem and solution? There is reference to error 0x80004005 but I don't know what this means.

2015-11-17 10:39:14, Info MOUPG CInstallUI::ShowMessageBox: Showing MessageBox
    2015-11-17 10:39:15, Error MOUPG CSetupManager::Execute(232): Result = 0x80004005
    2015-11-17 10:39:15, Error MOUPG CSetupHost::Execute(371): Result = 0x80004005
    2015-11-17 10:39:32, Info MOUPG CInstallUI::Quit: Posted MSG_INSTALLUI_FORCE_QUIT
    2015-11-17 10:39:32, Info MOUPG CInstallUI::CInstallUIMessageWindow::ForceQuit
    2015-11-17 10:39:32, Info MOUPG Force ending Message pump
    2015-11-17 10:39:32, Info MOUPG CInstallUI::ExitInstance
    2015-11-17 10:39:32, Info CONX Uninitializing compatibility provider wsc:setup:...
    2015-11-17 10:39:32, Info CONX Uninitializing compatibility provider wsc:wica:...
    2015-11-17 10:39:33, Info MOUPG SetupUI: Calling PowerClearRequest with type [0x1]...
    2015-11-17 10:39:33, Info MOUPG SetupUI: Power request cleared!

Steve C, Nov 16, 2015
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Are all of your user data files like My Documents in their default locations on C: drive?

NavyLCDR, Nov 16, 2015
  15. Steve C Win User
    Yes - they are all under C:\Users\Myusername. I only have the one hard drive on C: and the USB stick on F:

The setup error log file is enclosed. Can anyone advise how to fix this?

setuperr.log

I'm now thinking an in place Windows 8.1 repair install may be a good idea before upgrading to Windows 10?

Steve C, Nov 16, 2015
Thema:

1. "Something Happened" What Next? - Similar Threads - Something Happened Next

2. Something unexpected happened

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Something unexpected happened: I dont know what is the unexpected happened in your end but I want you to fix it immediately together with this error code in my store 0x80240013. Microsoft always have issue in their app and I dont know why. Even updating Windows is not worth to try because it does not help....
  3. Something unexpected happened

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Something unexpected happened: I dont know what is the unexpected happened in your end but I want you to fix it immediately together with this error code in my store 0x80240013. Microsoft always have issue in their app and I dont know why. Even updating Windows is not worth to try because it does not help....
  4. Something unexpected happened

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
  5. something happened 0x8024001E

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    something happened 0x8024001E: Please help me I cant figure out what is happening on your end error message. I tried to run windows store troubleshooter and even reset the store with nothing. I tried to restart multiple times and still got the error....
  6. something happened 0x8024001E

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    something happened 0x8024001E: Please help me I cant figure out what is happening on your end error message. I tried to run windows store troubleshooter and even reset the store with nothing. I tried to restart multiple times and still got the error....
  7. Something Happened to me

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Something Happened to me: Hello, With the help of members of this forum I have gotten to the MediaCreation Tool 64 bit and a Windows 10 Pro without the N. I intend to download an ISO to burn to a DVD for later installation. Unfortunately when it is run it goes to a "Something Happened" message and...
  8. Next Issue after Something Happened!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Next Issue after Something Happened!: Hello, In a previous thread I had become stuck with a Something Happened error during a 64 Bit Media Creation Tool effort to produce an ISO to burn to DVD for future use. I had tried the wuauclt.exe fix with no apparent difference. While waiting I did that fix again and the...
  9. Something Happened

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Something Happened: I'm trying to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, but I keep getting the Message "Something Happened" Windows is trying to determine if your PC can run Windows 10. I have removed my Virus program (MBAM) and cleaned out my Windows.old directories and made sure that Win 7 was...
  10. Something's Odd Is Happening

in Windows 10 Support
    Something's Odd Is Happening: I have Windows 10 Home 64bit operating system installed on my desktop computer. Recently, I downloaded Mozilla Firefox version 52.0.2 (64bit) on my computer and was successful because I have tried many times before without success. However, my elation was short-lived as the...