Windows 10: Something happened: Windows 10 installation has failed

Discus and support Something happened: Windows 10 installation has failed in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello everybody, I'm having issues upgrading to Windows 10 on my Windows 7 PC. I've tried to install it using countless methods - triggering the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CRex, Jul 31, 2015.

1. CRex Win User

Something happened: Windows 10 installation has failed

Hello everybody, I'm having issues upgrading to Windows 10 on my Windows 7 PC. I've tried to install it using countless methods - triggering the upgrade via console command, burning an ISO to USB, editing the registry, but on all but one occasion I got the error message described in the title of the thread. On using the method editing the registry, the PC did appear to install it (apart from AVAST Antivirus kept throwing up error messages during the installation, and I had to keep pressing enter to acknowledge them) but upon starting up Windows 7 was still installed. *Mad

At the moment I have no idea of what is going on, and the only option I'm left with it doing a clean reinstall of Windows 7 and then trying to upgrade. I should also mention I have all my documents and applications stored on a seperate HDD - will they be affected by the clean install of Windows 7?

Edit: I should mention I have another PC, and did the same steps with the console command, and it installed perfectly.

:)

2. Sumit Dhiman2, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Jul 31, 2015
  4. Jairus24 Win User

No, if the files are in separate drive or partition, it will not be affected if you clean install Windows 7. The installation will only touch the drive where you want to install Windows 7. I also had the same error you mentioned and I also resorted to a clean install of Windows 8.1 on one of my machines.

Jairus24, Jul 31, 2015
  5. CRex Win User
    Oh, well that clears things up. But will I still be able to launch the programs stored on my other HDDs?

6. When doing the upgrade all other drive's should be unplugged.

Do the upgrade again from within 7.

COMPUTIAC Guest, Jul 31, 2015
  7. Jairus24 Win User
    If they are portable and doesn't need the registry or they can self-fix the registry entry, yes. Otherwise, no, you need to reinstall them if most of their required or proper settings to run are stored in the registry.

Jairus24, Jul 31, 2015
  8. CRex Win User

The other drives are internal, so I guess I'll need to reinstall some apps on them.

9. Jairus24 Win User
    What I mean by portable is not a portable drive. What I really mean is a portable software hahaha sorry

Jairus24, Jul 31, 2015
  10. Can't you unplug them ?

What is the exact make and model of your PC ?

11. CRex Win User
    No, these drives are inside the computer and I don't really want to mess around unplugging them for the sake of an upgrade. Also, I should mention my PC is custom built. I'll list the specs if you like.

Also, I appreciate the fast replies a lot. On some forums I've had to wait nearly an hour for just one response. Something happened: Windows 10 installation has failed :p

12. PRMan Win User
    Microsoft recommends that you uninstall your virus scanner during the upgrade and then reinstall it afterwards. This has solved "Something Happened" for lots of people.

PRMan, Jul 31, 2015
  13. CRex Win User

Thanks PRMan, I'll give that a try next time I am using the PC. I noticed Avast throwing up a lot of errors during my latest failed installation attempt, and the only thing I could do was press enter to acknowledge them.

14. There is no need for your spec's now if you are unwilling to go inside of the 'puter.

If Avast is giving you problems, you can disable it, and see if it will stop warning's.

Are you willing to do the upgrade again to correct the problem's ?

15. CRex Win User
    I'll be uninstalling avast and running the upgrade again. I doubt it will work as the downstairs PC also had avast and Windows 10 installed fine.

I'm still a little ticked off I might need to format my OS drive, reinstall windows 7 and upgrade to Windows 10. Surely there must be another option?

Thema:

1. Something happened: Windows 10 installation has failed - Similar Threads - Something happened installation

2. Has something happened to windows mail?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Has something happened to windows mail?: I have Gmail sync to my android and to Mail on my pc. Suddenly not getting messages loaded or folders synced on Mail, but android's ok.nothings changed on my end - - tried removing account from mail and adding it back in. Looked like it was going to work, but still not...
  3. Has something happened to windows mail?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Has something happened to windows mail?: I have Gmail sync to my android and to Mail on my pc. Suddenly not getting messages loaded or folders synced on Mail, but android's ok.nothings changed on my end - - tried removing account from mail and adding it back in. Looked like it was going to work, but still not...
  4. Something unfortunate has happened.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Something unfortunate has happened.: My dad's computer, which is a Windows 7 was upgraded to a 7 around 2019/2020, was originally a Vista is slowly but surely dying. His Performance Index is 5.1, yeah, the index is easier to find on that computer but the computer constantly BSOD's. Since the first time I...
  5. Something unfortunate has happened.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Something unfortunate has happened.: My dad's computer, which is a Windows 7 was upgraded to a 7 around 2019/2020, was originally a Vista is slowly but surely dying. His Performance Index is 5.1, yeah, the index is easier to find on that computer but the computer constantly BSOD's. Since the first time I...
  6. Minecraft for Windows 10 wont install Something has happened on our end

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Minecraft for Windows 10 wont install Something has happened on our end: My friend bought me a code for Minecraft for windows 10 Had to use a vpn to redeem it and when I go to install it it says There was a problem on our end. I've tried almost every fix I could find on YouTube but nothing is working, I also saw that windows might have to be fully...
  7. Win Upgrade - "Something happened, Windows 10 installation has failed"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win Upgrade - "Something happened, Windows 10 installation has failed": Good morning, I have a Dell Inspiron 32 bit machine that I am trying to upgrade (one of about 10) from Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit to Windows 10 Enterprise 32 bit. All of the Windows Updates have been installed and every time I try to upgrade to Windows 10 I get the...
  8. Solved: "Something Happened" Installation Failed" Error 80070005

Solved: "Something Happened" Installation Failed" Error 80070005: I know there are a handful of threads with the above error message and code, but I have yet to see a thread with what was my reason for the error code. I wanted to pass on what I discovered and how I fixed it. I started with a standard Windows 7 Pro install joined to a...
  9. Something happened, Windows 10 installation has failed error.

Something happened, Windows 10 installation has failed error.: About 24 percent into the Windows 10 upgrade installation from Windows 8.1, using the Windows Media Creation Tool, I get the error "Windows 10 installation has failed" error. I searched around, and found a similar post. The popup looks the same. But, I have a lot more free...
  10. Something Happened Windows 10 installation failed (Grey box)

Something Happened Windows 10 installation failed (Grey box): Ok so I've tried every fix I can find/think of and Windows 10 still will not download on my husbands laptop, mine however upgrade perfectly on the first try. He has Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack1 Processor is AMD E-350 Processor 1.60 GHz Installed memory (RAM):...