Windows 10: Something Happened

Discus and support Something Happened in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm trying to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, but I keep getting the Message "Something Happened" Windows is trying to determine if your PC can run... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by okrobie, Feb 12, 2016.

1. okrobie Win User

Something Happened

I'm trying to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, but I keep getting the Message "Something Happened" Windows is trying to determine if your PC can run Windows 10.

I have removed my Virus program (MBAM) and cleaned out my Windows.old directories and made sure that Win 7 was current with all updates, but still get this screen. Has anyone figured this out? I'm sure I'm not the only one.

BTW, it's a fresh install of 7. The PC is a HP g6 notebook with plenty of HDD space and 4Gb memory.

Thanks for any and all help.

:)

okrobie, Feb 12, 2016

2. Windows 10 Mobile & MirrorLink

While this is nice and neat, it is sadly Continuum, not Mirrorlink" it won't work if I pick "Android auto" on my car. If my had an HDMI or DisplayPort port, I would use my Continuum dock.

Something Happened, Feb 12, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Mobile & MirrorLink

I agree. And all they need to do is output Continuum on the car. I think we can all manage as a starting point.

I mean I don't think anyone would do anything beside start the Map app and Groove Music or some other music app. I mean, I highly doubt someone will type a Word document while driving. And then, when their custom special GUI things is ready, assuming they
    are interested in this, then yea, change the system. But it looks like Microsoft doesn't see any benefits of car integration, which is a shame.. as this is the future, and can be the first step for Microsoft to actually be a car OS. Now, Android is taking
    over the car space. Heck, Honda cars with the infotainment console already runs on Android.. and that was since many years. I am sure that they are other car manufacture doing the same. It is sad to see such great company filled with exceptional talent being
    blind by the obvious movement of the market.

I truly hope that I am wrong and that Microsoft is indeed working on something. Else, Windows might only be living in a world of PCs which is dying, as you can bet that Google will be having a Continuum competitor, and the future is mobile device that you
    can take anywhere. And as for cars, I expect to see Google having wireless sync with the connected phone where you go in your car, and you have your pined maps in sync with the car instantly, and have your currently playing music also in sync and playing,
    all apps of the driver available, all by keeping the phone in the driver pocket, and not have a separate experience. In other words, an evolution of Bluetooth integration.

Something Happened, Feb 12, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Something Happened

Hi.
    Why not just clean install W10 and activate using your W7 key? You can grab the current ISO at MS TechBench. Just make sure you have your data backed up, and any keys/install media needed for paid programs. You can use this to grab your W7 key if you need to.

simrick, Feb 12, 2016
  5. b1rd Win User
    Hi okrobie,

Just noticed that you included the following statement:
    Just so you're aware, MalwareBytes is not intended to be used as your virus protection per se, but rather to be used along side of it. If you have it set to active protection, then there's a chance that Win-10 might turn off Windows Defender which might leave you more vulnerable to threats.

Does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware replace antivirus software?

6. okrobie Win User
    Hi simrick, that's a good idea. I'm doing it right now. I think I found the fly in the ointment. I saw by retrieving my key, that it was an OEM key. Windows 10 will not update to an OEM key. It's taking several hours to download the ISO so I'll try to boot from my USB stick in the morning. I may have to buy a W7 key to be legal. I'll see if I can get a legal copy of W7 on Craig's list tomorrow. I'll let you know how it is working.

Hi b1rd, you are right of course. My bad.

okrobie, Feb 14, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    Windows 10 will indeed upgrade an OEM W7 key, no problem. Don't go buying another one!

simrick, Feb 14, 2016
  8. jds63 Win User

Something Happened

jds63, Feb 14, 2016
  9. okrobie Win User
    I downloaded the Win 10 64 bit ISO and put it on my USB drive with Media Creation Tool, (AKA Rufus) and it booted seamlessly from my USB, but it hated my Key. I don't know the history of this notebook as I bought it in a pawnshop as-is. It was a mess. Bad battery, viruses, bad keyboard etc. The Win 7 OS must have been bootleg. After trying the install a second time, it locked me out. I'll have to format the HDD before I try to install a legal version. I ordered an adapter so I can hook the 2.5" HDD to my desktop for formatting. Oh well, at least I got the laptop cheap, but was it worth it? Thanks for the support. I'll be looking for a legal Win 7. Regards, Jim

okrobie, Feb 14, 2016
  10. Fafhrd Win User
    It may be a more subtle cause than having a bad install of 7 on the laptop - not saying it isn't, tho'!

If the battery health is poor, as it often is on older notebooks, there are unhandled errors due to setup detecting power saving modes during various phases of the installation. One accepted fix is to remove the battery and plug in the power adapter before booting up to start the installation.

Another problem area may be the network so it may be wise to disconnect the ethernet or disable the wi-fi during the setup. If booting from optical media or USBs there may be driver errors, and if booting from setup files on the hard disk there may be startup programs, language inconsistencies, and all these pitfalls are coming to light as more folk attempt the upgrade. A thing as simple as a clock being out of sync with the real time or a date/time format difference from the US locale can cause upgrades to fail, without the real cause being known, as the system hopefully rolls back, wiping out the evidence.

"Something happened" is just one of several unknown errors that the Widows development team has never come across to give a name or exception code to - there is also at least one "Something went wrong" problem.

Fafhrd, Feb 15, 2016
  11. simrick Win User
    In addition to the above:

Not sure what model this laptop is, but you can usually boot to the OEM's recovery partition and restore the laptop to factory condition. It should upgrade then or allow a W10 install using the OEM-installed W7 key to activate it.

simrick, Feb 15, 2016
  12. Fafhrd Win User
    Assuming that there's an untouched OEM recovery partition, and except that the upgrade will probably stop when Windows 7 Windows Update tries to bring itself up to date with downloading and attempting to install 200+ updates, while setup is trying to run. *Sad

Either disable networking altogether until after installation, and run a "clean boot" in the fresh Windows 7 using MSCONFIG
    then rebooting before running setup, or what I'd do is attempt a clean install of 10 to a different partition, and worry about activation later - which should be possible using the product key on the COA sticker, if present and legible, or at least with phone support.
    Good luck Jim.

Fafhrd, Feb 15, 2016
  13. okrobie Win User

Something Happened

Hi simrick and Fafhrd, thanks for the support. I appreciate all of the suggestions.

First of all, the recovery partition was empty. And, I have not been connected to the network via LAN or Wi-fi, or relying on the battery (one is on order).

At this point, I'm waiting for some parts and I will let you know as I make progress.

Regards, Jim

okrobie, Feb 15, 2016
  14. okrobie Win User
    The real bottom line was the Product Key. I did do a low level format from WinPE.ISO and did a complete install from a Win10.ISO but it still wouldn't accept my former Product Key. I finally broke down and bought a new one and everything worked great. I'm sure the original Operating System was bootleg. I appreciate the help. I'll no doubt be seeing you all later. Regards, Jim

okrobie, Feb 23, 2016
  15. simrick Win User
    Glad you got it sorted. Thanks for reporting back! *Thumbs

simrick, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Something Happened

1. Something Happened - Similar Threads - Something Happened

2. I can't get into my laptop it says something happened and your PIN is not available. Click...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't get into my laptop it says something happened and your PIN is not available. Click...: I cant reset the PIN. When I click yes to reset it says you need to install an app. Because I'm not logged in I can't get to the app store. My laptop is in S mode and I would like to keep it that way if possible....
  3. I can't get into my laptop it says something happened and your PIN is not available. Click...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't get into my laptop it says something happened and your PIN is not available. Click...: I cant reset the PIN. When I click yes to reset it says you need to install an app. Because I'm not logged in I can't get to the app store. My laptop is in S mode and I would like to keep it that way if possible....
  4. How do i fix “something happened and your PIN isn’t available. Click to set up your PIN again.”

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How do i fix “something happened and your PIN isn’t available. Click to set up your PIN again.”: I’ve tried to troubleshoot with shift-reset and do it from there but i don't have advanced options available so i can’t do it. I also tried hard shut down on my pc 3 times to see if i can open a command prompt there, but it also didn't work. Not sure what to do anymore....
  5. How do i fix “something happened and your PIN isn’t available. Click to set up your PIN again.”

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i fix “something happened and your PIN isn’t available. Click to set up your PIN again.”: I’ve tried to troubleshoot with shift-reset and do it from there but i don't have advanced options available so i can’t do it. I also tried hard shut down on my pc 3 times to see if i can open a command prompt there, but it also didn't work. Not sure what to do anymore....
  6. How do i fix “something happened and your PIN isn’t available. Click to set up your PIN again.”

7. Microsoft Store "Try again later, something happened on our end"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Store "Try again later, something happened on our end": Hi! I've been trying to download Roblox app when the error appeared "try again later something happened on our end" I have looked at all the other threads and none of the commands or suggestions have worked. It is also definitely not the app problem as my store will not...
  8. Microsoft Store "Try again later, something happened on our end"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Store "Try again later, something happened on our end": Hi! I've been trying to download Roblox app when the error appeared "try again later something happened on our end" I have looked at all the other threads and none of the commands or suggestions have worked. It is also definitely not the app problem as my store will not...
  9. Microsoft Store "Try again later, something happened on our end"

10. Microsoft Store "Try again later, something happened on our end"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mirrorlink windows 10 mobile