Windows 10: Something on my windows 7 partition prevents win10 upgrade or boot

Discus and support Something on my windows 7 partition prevents win10 upgrade or boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I have gone through all the usual hoops I can find on the upgrade issues, mostly based off the one error I have managed to get spit back:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Nchi, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Nchi Win User

Something on my windows 7 partition prevents win10 upgrade or boot

So I have gone through all the usual hoops I can find on the upgrade issues, mostly based off the one error I have managed to get spit back: 0xC1900101 - 0x20017

This is usually found to be a driver error, but after removing everything possible to no avail I said screw it and went for the clean install.

The install media would get stuck at the spinning dots even after booting directly to it, that is until I removed the older hard drives, namely the one with my win7 install. I now have a clean win10 sitting pretty (on an SSD), but here goes my issue, if I plug the win7 drive back in (with computer off) I get stuck on spinning dots again! After restart I can get a repair screen which only leads to a black screen with a mouse. Take out the one drive again and I can get in. Fun stuff so far.

What is most curious: I dropped in the drive when win10 was up (yay sata hotswap), and it read the other two partitions great! But the win7 partition isn't read, leading me to believe something is corrupted there.

Ultimately and ideally I would like to do an upgrade to keep my files around and not deal with restoring everything. less ideally would be getting the win10 install to see the win7 install partition, but I would bet these issues are one in the same.
    I have run chkdsk and /sfc scannow, no errors on either.

For record
    Something on my windows 7 partition prevents win10 upgrade or boot [​IMG]
    is what I have in win7, and when I hotswap this drive in on 10 C: will not show up.

TIA

:)

2. N Whalen Win User

Win 10 Pro Install Fails With Error C1900101-20017

It is Feb 7, 2016, a weekend. I have spend three days trying to troubleshoot upgrading to Win10 Pro from 8.1 with the error code c1900101....17. I scoured the internet with this error message. I tried every suggestion to no avail.

I was suspicious my problem had to do with the fact my hard drive is dual boot, windows and ubuntu. On my boot screen, there are two windows boot option, the system reserve partition and the OS partition. The computer restarted after upgrading. Out of frustration
    and impatience, I accidently selected the system reserve partition. To my astonishment, the upgrade continued! The computer restarted a couple of times, and all times, I selected the system reserve partition until the upgrade was completed. It worked!!!!

I hope this helps. I can't believe how stupid I felt over something so simple!

N Whalen, Jan 13, 2016
  3. jc_863 Win User
    In Startup & Recovery "default operating system" shows "Windows 7", even though PC upgraded to Win10

No: I created the recover disk using the Create Recovery Disk option in settings on my Win10 computer. I booted from that USB.

The "Windows 7" boot record that I included above (bootloader) is from C: - not the recovery disk, the primary boot partition.

The reference to "Default Operating System: Windows 7" is from the System Properties|Advanced|Startup and recovery in settings ON MY WINDOWS 10 PC, booted normally from the C:

It appears to me that the reference to Windows 7 is coming from the boot record on this upgraded Win10 PC.

I think you are recommending I download the Win10 ISO and do a clean install? Everything is setup on this PC as I want it and has been for a long time since the upgrade months ago. I don't want a clean
    install.

jc_863, Jan 13, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Will the computer boot into Windows 7 with only that HDD connected?

NavyLCDR, Jan 13, 2016
  5. Nchi Win User
    Yes, I had attempted the upgrade that way at some point.

6. NavyLCDR New Member
    If you have the storage available, such as external hard drive or network storage, I would suggest loading Macrium Reflect Free on the Windows 7 and creating an image of the disk. Then you can install Macrium Reflect Free on Windows 10 and mount the image files created and see if you can access the data that way. It would be a start....

Also, a screenshot of the complete disk management window with all the information would help.

NavyLCDR, Jan 13, 2016
  7. Nchi Win User
    Something on my windows 7 partition prevents win10 upgrade or boot [​IMG]

I will get macrium and (depending on the time it takes) post back within the hour

8. Nchi Win User

I can read the image in macrium. I would still rather upgrade but at least this is workable in the end. Just going to be a pain to configure all the little bits, which seem to transfer fine through upgrade (upgraded another pc), not to mention I will have to format that partition and lose the dual boot (just for convenience)

9. NavyLCDR New Member
    We can try a few things.....

First - make a Macrium Reflect Rescue USB/DVD and make sure the computer will boot from it into Macrium Reflect.

Then, boot into Windows 10. Turn off fast startup:
    Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Shut down the computer by holding the shift key when you click shutdown from the power icon on Windows start menu. (just to make sure you get a complete shutdown, but turning off fast startup should give a complete shutdown anyway).

Reconnect the Windows 7 drive. Make sure the Windows 10 SSD remains selected as the primary boot device in bios and attempt to boot into Windows 10. Turning off fast startup may fix the problem.

If that doesn't work - then reboot the computer from the Macrium Reflect Free rescue USB/DVD and under the restore option is a utility to fix boot/startup problems. Run that utility and see if that fixes it and sets up dual booting.

NavyLCDR, Jan 13, 2016
  10. Nchi Win User
    The rescue USB froze on finding plug and play devices, restarting now to cancel that early

11. Nchi Win User
    No dice trying to cancel, I could open a cmd but diskpart didn't seem to work.

12. NavyLCDR New Member
    So, it's back to booting from either the Windows 10 drive by itself, or into Windows 7? You don't have Raid or anything special like that set up in bios? Bios disk controllers should be set to AHCI mode. What disk drive controllers are listed in device manager in Windows?

NavyLCDR, Jan 13, 2016
  13. Nchi Win User

Yep still stuck with the split drives. Nothing fancy in bios but I did have sata set to ide... And miracle miracle. Let's go try an upgrade!

14. NavyLCDR New Member
  15. Nchi Win User
    Can I just say ugh and f me? All this stress and sata controller fixes it. I'm blasted.

Thema:

1. Something on my windows 7 partition prevents win10 upgrade or boot - Similar Threads - Something partition prevents

2. Windows 7 upgrades to Win10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 7 upgrades to Win10: Our system is Win 7 and we want to upgrade it to Win 10. But our IT said that our PC didn’t stick with Win 10 image and didn’t purchase any Win 10 license. Last time,we upgraded our another laptop to Win 10 for free. Do we still need to purchase Win 10 license?...
  3. Windows 7 upgrades to Win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 upgrades to Win10: Our system is Win 7 and we want to upgrade it to Win 10. But our IT said that our PC didn’t stick with Win 10 image and didn’t purchase any Win 10 license. Last time,we upgraded our another laptop to Win 10 for free. Do we still need to purchase Win 10 license?...
  4. Windows 7 upgrades to Win10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Win10 installed on C: but boot partition on E:

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 installed on C: but boot partition on E:: I purchased a new hard drive last Christmas when I was running out of storage space. I already had 2 drives at the time, and I decided to install a new copy of Win10 on the new drive, making the 2 old drives D: and E: where D: was the previous Win10 drive i.e. boot drive....
  6. Upgrade win10 with windows 7 product key

Upgrade win10 with windows 7 product key: Hi all, I am using a laptop with activated Windows 7, is it possible to upgrade my operating system to win 10 with the product key of windows 7? Can I do that for free? Thanks....
  7. Dual Boot Win 7 and Win10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dual Boot Win 7 and Win10: Apologies if this is 'old hat'. I'm having trouble with win 10 (getting wifi working) and have a thread specifically on that subject already open. I'm in the position of installing win10 on my son's laptop and soon have to give it to him - but he lives 80 miles away. Win10...
  8. Running Win10 want to install 7 on seperate partition for Dual boot

Running Win10 want to install 7 on seperate partition for Dual boot: Bought a new computer with windows 10 installed, but my work from home job requires windows 7. I don't want to get rid of windows 10, as I will need it for other things, so I'm trying to install windows 7 onto a separate partition so that I can dual boot between the two. I...
  9. Windows Update preventing win10 upgrade

Windows Update preventing win10 upgrade: Toshiba Satelite Originally Vista, Upgraded to Win 7 Pro (32bit) SP1. Celeron Dual Core T3000 @ 1.80GHz 4GB RAM Background A few weeks ago the laptop's power seemed to just 'die' when booting up. When handed over to me, I managed to get Startup recovery running....
  10. Boot windows 7 after Win10 install

Boot windows 7 after Win10 install: So like a dispshit I did not read the dual boot directions because I really did not expect it to be this big of bitch to dual boot.. So how do I boot into windows 7 if I did not do the dual boot instructions? 5479