Windows 10: Something really annoying - Win 10 Home user account.

Discus and support Something really annoying - Win 10 Home user account. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Yesterday I've upgraded to Windows 10 Home 64 bit, from my Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium. Then I clean installed it, after the OS was activated. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Joanne, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Joanne Win User

Something really annoying - Win 10 Home user account.

Yesterday I've upgraded to Windows 10 Home 64 bit, from my Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium. Then I clean installed it, after the OS was activated.

I used a local account and I have never switched to any of my Microsoft's e-mail accounts. The installation went fine. So, right afterwards, I have customized the Privacy settings, from the Settings Menu. In short, I have disabled (turned to Off) almost everything found in there. And I have also set Cortana to not get to know me. She isn't available in my region, anyway. So all good.

Then, and just out of curiosity, I've tried to set up the Mail app. I've added two MS accounts. They could not synchronize, of course, so no problem. I was just curious.

The next day though, when I powered on my computer, one of those two accounts had become the Microsoft account for my computer!! So, I was asked for the password on the Lock Screen, right after booting up! Now this specific password for that account was created with a password manager, so it was a long alphanumeric string, which I could not remember, of course!

What saved me, from reinstalling the OS, was that I already had Windows 10 on another SSD. So I unplugged the disk with my "main OS", plugged in the other one, booted, powered on my external HDD, opened the file where I keep those passwords, wrote it down on a piece of paper, plugged back in the "main OS" SSD, entered the password and finally saw my desktop. Immediately, I've switched to my local account again.

- Why did Windows 10 arbitrarily and without any notification set my OS from a local account to an MS account?
    - Can the Mail app provoke (cause) something like that by itself, and without notifying the user?!

I'll make sure this will NEVER happen again, but I'd appreciate your input.

Thank you.

:)

Joanne, Jul 29, 2015
  2. sp_999 Win User

Critical error task bar win 10

Thank you for your response. I really do appreciate any help on this

Unfortunately, this is a company networked PC, on the domain. They do not use MS accounts and this is not something we can easily try with this company. Are the any other non home user style suggestions? Not every one has this issue with win 10. I am hoping
    MS will rectify this quickly other this will a ship back and rebuilt which seems rather extreme considering how may other Win 10 users have the problem. Any idea if there are any reg settings we can tweak?

Thank you

sp_999, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Pro login screen does not show the Administrator or Guest account

July 15, 2017

I have WIN 10 Pro on a Dell laptop.

I have been unable to find a way to show ALL accounts, User, (built in) Administrator, Guest account, etc at WIN 10 login/sign on. The only account I can get to show in my user account (which has administrator status).

I have successfully used the cmd “net user administrator / active:yes, net user administrator * “ and successfully assigned a password, and the net user guest / active:yes command. I restart or power down and restart and the only account that shows is the
    single user account. As far as I can tell issuing the above commands should make the Administrator and Guest accounts show on the login/signon screen. I have tried a couple of other options I found on line but without success.

I must be missing something. I did see a couple of comments about “User group. Home group” but could not figure out what was being asked. My Dell laptop is used at home, wireless connected to my router and the internet. I do not remember being asked any
    questions about “home group” or “groups” at installation on WIN 10.

Would appreciate any (detail) instructions or links showing how to make all the WIN 10 PRO accounts to show at logon.

Thank you

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

krazykat9999, Jul 29, 2015
Thema:

Something really annoying - Win 10 Home user account.

1. Something really annoying - Win 10 Home user account. - Similar Threads - Something really annoying

2. Really messed up user accounts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Really messed up user accounts: My laptop is running Windows 10 Home. I was trying to create an additional user account and somehow messed up my main account. It appears that instead of creating a new account I told it to log into my windows account with a local account instead of my Microsoft account. What...
  3. Really messed up user accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Really messed up user accounts: My laptop is running Windows 10 Home. I was trying to create an additional user account and somehow messed up my main account. It appears that instead of creating a new account I told it to log into my windows account with a local account instead of my Microsoft account. What...
  4. Really messed up user accounts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. really annoying bug

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    really annoying bug: [ATTACH] So I've been using Win10 for about a year now and lately there's been this really annoying bug where on google pages, anywhere I click results in the little insertion line showing up. I can't find any information on this, and I wanna know if there's a fix for it....
  6. Win 10 annoyance.

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 annoyance.: My OS: MS Windows 10 ver. 1909 ----------------------------------------------- One of the most annoying things (there are many, too numerous to count... LOL) about W10 occurs only occasionally, but often enough to be extremely annoying & disturbing to me. It happened again,...
  7. Win-10 Home "Users & Groups"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Win-10 Home "Users & Groups": Win-10 Home "Users & Groups" in Computer Management why can I not see them when I have Administrator rights?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-home-users-groups/6efbd67c-4872-48c9-8b48-e5c7863f9463
  8. Can't access User Account Control (Win 10 Home)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't access User Account Control (Win 10 Home): 1. I was not able to download a software to the Program Files folder because access was denied due to "You don’t have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission..." (I could download to a folder whose name is the same as the username...
  9. My first really big annoyance with Win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    My first really big annoyance with Win 10: I got an email to download last night to add Cortana to my Acer laptop. So foolishly I did. In the process I was required to create an email account, so I tried. I used the windows.com ending. Along the way the whole thing went awry, so I finally abandoned the process because...
  10. Win 10 really?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 really?: Have a Packard Bell laptop with Win 8.1. Recently gave in to the constant reminders to upgrade to Win 10. I am not very computer savvy but followed the idiots guide and presided over the magical upgrade. I am now left with a laptop that opens with the PB logo then turns of/on...