Windows 10: "Something's Wrong. We can't tell if your PC is ready to update"

Discus and support "Something's Wrong. We can't tell if your PC is ready to update" in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I get a message when I try to do a repair install "Something's Wrong. We can't tell if your PC is ready to update" I think it might be an issue with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by nyg, May 13, 2017.

1. NYG
    nyg Win User

"Something's Wrong. We can't tell if your PC is ready to update"

I get a message when I try to do a repair install "Something's Wrong. We can't tell if your PC is ready to update"
    I think it might be an issue with my trying to put Windows 10 Pro on a Surface Pro.

:)

2. Tailor Win User

We can't tell if your computer is ready for windows 10

Hi,

I've been trying to upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10 for a couple of days, without any success.

The automatic update failed a number of times with a "cannot install " message.

I've downloaded the app onto an 8gb USB and tried that a number of times. Each time I get the cryptic message that something happened and it cannot tell if my PC is ready for Windows 10. I was previously advised by Microsoft that my PC was suitable, long
    before the Update was delivered. If it was OK then, why cannot it tell now?

My PC is a HP, with 16gb Ram and 622gb of free space running Win 8.1. As far as I know all automatic updates have installed, with the exception of Windows 10.

At this point I'm going round and round in circles and not getting a result. I've been installing Microsoft Os since the Dos days and this is the most frustrating experience I've had. If you can't solve the problem I'm giving up.

Tailor, May 13, 2017
  3. We can't tell if your computer is ready for windows 10

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I’m sorry to know that you have issues upgrading to Windows 10.I appreciate the efforts you took to resolve the issue.

I will be happy to assist you with this.

Please refer the frequently asked questions given
    by Andre Da Costa using below link and check if
    that helps:

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

Also please refer the wiki article given by
    Andre De Costa on
    “How to: Troubleshoot common Setup and Stop Errors during Windows 10 Installation” and check if that helps.

How to: Troubleshoot Common Setup and Stop Errors During Windows 10 Installation

Please let us know, if you need any further help and we would be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Vijaya Kumari 1, May 13, 2017
  4. NYG
    nyg Win User

To be clear I have a Surface Pro 4, not a Surface Pro. Windows 10 Pro is listed as a supported OS on this.

Eventually I got it to do a repair install in place from the USB stick Windows 10 Pro Full Version. Went through the whole thing, succeeded, set up my preferences.

Then I tried to do, what I have been trying to figure out how to do, the cumulative update KB4019474. That was failing before I did the repair install, and I had tried it several times including using the Windows Update troubleshooter a couple of times.

In PowerShell, I did the get-WindowsUpdateLog commmand and carefully looked through the output. This is a command in PowerShell that pulls WindowsUpdateLog related messages out of the Event Log and puts them in a file called WindowsUpdate.log on the desktop. This log has lots of detail but I can't really spot an error message saying why the update failed.

KB4019474 is a pretty big update, and takes 5-10 minutes to download over FIOS.

When I restart, it says that it is installing the update before the shutdown. Then when it reboots, it continues the update. It seems to grind away for a long time and then say "something's wrong" and gives up.

*Sick

5. NYG
    nyg Win User
    Here is (probably) the solution to this problem.

I contacted Microsoft support and did a chat support case. This support was free because I just had bought a new version on Windows 10 Pro.

The problem is that the USB key that I got when I bought the version of Windows 10 Pro (down the road at the Microsoft store) is an out of date version of Windows 10. It is an old build. There is a bug in KB4019474 in that it will not update an old build of Windows 10.

To get the new build of Windows 10, go to

Download Windows 10

and do Download Now.

It takes a long time to download and a long time to update.

The tech was connected to my PC through a LogMeIn. Before he did the update, he did a bunch of cleaning out old directories, downloads, updates, and disabled a whole bunch of services. I think that these actions were very helpful. In addition to disabling some Microsoft services, he disabled all non-Microsoft services for things I have installed.

I got to chat via:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

I think that it'd be worth having the tech do this, if you can manage to connect to one.

Thema:

1. "Something's Wrong. We can't tell if your PC is ready to update" - Similar Threads - Something's Wrong can't

2. "We Couldn't Tell if Your PC is Ready to Continue Installing Windows 10. Try Restarting Setup."

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "We Couldn't Tell if Your PC is Ready to Continue Installing Windows 10. Try Restarting Setup.": When upgrading Windows 10 with ISO, the setup keeps failing with the above error 1909->20H2. None of the forum posts give the right answer. The correct answer is that secure boot in BIOS is messing with it. Go into BIOS and change secure boot settings. It worked first time...
  3. "We Couldn't Tell if Your PC is Ready to Continue Installing Windows 10. Try Restarting Setup."

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "We Couldn't Tell if Your PC is Ready to Continue Installing Windows 10. Try Restarting Setup.": I have seen many forum threads about this when trying to upgrade Windows 10 from ISO 1909->20H2. None of them give the right answer. The correct answer is that Secure Boot is messing with it. Try going into BIOS and tweaking the settings. That worked first time for me after a...
  4. "We Couldn't Tell if Your PC is Ready to Continue Installing Windows 10. Try Restarting Setup."

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "We Couldn't Tell if Your PC is Ready to Continue Installing Windows 10. Try Restarting Setup.": When upgrading Windows 10 with ISO, the setup keeps failing with the above error 1909->20H2. None of the forum posts give the right answer. The correct answer is that secure boot in BIOS is messing with it. Go into BIOS and change secure boot settings. It worked first time...
  5. "We Couldn't Tell if Your PC is Ready to Continue Installing Windows 10. Try Restarting Setup."

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "We Couldn't Tell if Your PC is Ready to Continue Installing Windows 10. Try Restarting Setup.": I have seen many forum threads about this when trying to upgrade Windows 10 from ISO 1909->20H2. None of them give the right answer. The correct answer is that Secure Boot is messing with it. Try going into BIOS and tweaking the settings. That worked first time for me after a...
  6. "We Couldn't Tell if Your PC is Ready to Continue Installing Windows 10. Try Restarting Setup."

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. "We Couldn't Tell if Your PC is Ready to Continue Installing Windows 10. Try Restarting Setup."

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. we tried to sign in to your microsoft account, but something went wrong.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    we tried to sign in to your microsoft account, but something went wrong.: I recently purchased minecraft for windows ten and whenever i try to sign into my account in order to play minecraft realms with my friends all I receive is an error message stating "we tried to sign in to your microsoft account, but something went wrong."...
  9. We can't tell if your PC has enough space to continue installing Wind

in Windows 10 Support
    We can't tell if your PC has enough space to continue installing Wind: Hello everyone. I am trying to update windows 10 but I am having a lot of troubles with it. I try to install the version 2004. When trying to install through windows update I get this message : We couldnt install this update, but you can try again (0x80070002) When looking...
  10. Oops - something went wrong - we can't sign into your account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Oops - something went wrong - we can't sign into your account: So, I rebooted my freshly installed Windows 10 x64 14393.447 and got a blue screen "Oops - something went wrong" clicked on "Next" - got the Set up a PIN window skip this step - got a login screen - entered my outlook.com user-id and password got a screen "Get your...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. we cant tell if your PC is ready update now

2. we cant tell if your pc is ready to continue