Windows 10: son changed windows 10 username

Discus and support son changed windows 10 username in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; my son who is 7 somehow changed his username in windows10 from his name to a misspelling of his name. Now we can't get into the laptop at all. Any help... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by trahan31, Jul 31, 2016.

1. trahan31 Win User

son changed windows 10 username

my son who is 7 somehow changed his username in windows10 from his name to a misspelling of his name. Now we can't get into the laptop at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:)

trahan31, Jul 31, 2016
  2. davidh08 Win User

Administrator

I used my Microsoft account on my son's pc by mistake and it is linked to the windows 10 activation licence so I created a new account for my son and was going to remove my account. Somewhere in the process I went in user accounts and made my account a local
    and now I have no administrator and when I try to make changes to pc it asks for administrators username and password but gives me my son's new Microsoft account as Log in and enter password but the passord won't work as it none administrator and won't let
    me make any administrator so I can't get back to how it was before. Every option online doesn't work as I need administrator rights to change anything or to change or manage user profile it gives me the new ms account with no option to change but able to enter
    a password which is pointless as it doesn't work as it's not an administrator account.

davidh08, Jul 31, 2016
  3. Demsugar Win User
    My ovi Account is locked!

I have a nokia account with tha username but even when i change password i still cant login it gives" your account is lockd message"can anyone help because i need my son photos

Demsugar, Jul 31, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Jul 31, 2016
  5. Kari Win User
    Even if you change a username in Windows, you should be able to sign in with the old password.

In screenshot I have changed my local account name to Larry (#1). This does not change my user profile name as can be seen in folder C:\Users (#2), and in Advanced User Control Panel (#3):

son changed windows 10 username [​IMG]

This means that a username change in Windows is just superficial, cosmetic change with nothing to do with nor any effect in underlying user profile. When I now sign out I can see my new username in sign-in screen but continue signing in with password of the user profile, the original username:

I had both password and PIN set before the username change, both continue working with new username. A simple Windows username change does not lock user out, sign in continues to work with slightly changed credentials (username changed but password and PIN or picture password remain the same).

6. trahan31 Win User
    Thank you for your help. No, this was a Christmas gift to him and I guess I should have set myself up with a pw he doesn't know and then set him up. So what do I now?

trahan31, Jul 31, 2016
  7. Kari Win User
    You simply log in to your son's user account using the original password, assuming he didn't change that, too (you told he changed username, nothing about password).

If no password was set, you sign in simply with Enter or clicking Sign in button.

8. trahan31 Win User

I guess he changed the pw too. the original is not working

trahan31, Jul 31, 2016
  9. there should be a option to sign on your microsoft account or just user with out it maybe you need to switch log on preference

solarstarshines, Jul 31, 2016
  10. Kari Win User
    There's nothing much you can do. If the laptop has a built-in recovery partition, consult the manual to see how to launch recovery to restore it to factory conditions, or if it came with a set of recovery DVDs use them.

If factory recovery is not possible, download Windows 10 ISO and clean install Windows. Notice that when clean installation asks for a product key you can skip it by selecting "I don't have a product key"; Windows will be automatically activated when it gets to desktop and is connected to Internet to check the digital signature of original installation.

Remember to download the same edition as the original, Home or Pro. If a general ISO containing both images has been downloaded, next dialog after skipping product key will ask if you want to install Home or Pro edition. Choose correct edition.

Tip Windows 10 Anniversary Update will be released tomorrow, Microsoft has publicly announced they will make new ISO images available the same day.

I would wait until tomorrow evening before downloading ISO; downloading it now you have quite an upgrade process ahead when you have installed it.

11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Look for the tutorial on these forums on how to activate the built-in administrator account and use option number four from that tutorial. Then you can create a new administrator account or reset the old accounts password using the built-in administrator account.

NavyLCDR, Jul 31, 2016
  12. simrick Win User
    You beat me to it Navy. *Smile
    Administrator account - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

simrick, Aug 1, 2016
  13. Kari Win User

My apologies, I didn't even think about registry method. In above mentioned tutorial, Option Four is for you.

Thema:

1. son changed windows 10 username - Similar Threads - son changed username

2. CHANGING USERNAME ON WINDOWS 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CHANGING USERNAME ON WINDOWS 10: I changed my username from 'X' to 'Y' by accessing the control panel. However, whenever I open command prompt it shows my username as 'X'. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-username-on-windows-10/8fdef822-c16d-4815-83eb-e2e294467050
  3. CHANGING USERNAME ON WINDOWS 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CHANGING USERNAME ON WINDOWS 10: I changed my username from 'X' to 'Y' by accessing the control panel. However, whenever I open command prompt it shows my username as 'X'. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-username-on-windows-10/8fdef822-c16d-4815-83eb-e2e294467050
  4. CHANGING USERNAME ON WINDOWS 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Changing Windows 10 username folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Windows 10 username folder: I recently got a new laptop and I signed in with my microsoft account while settingup windows. This resulted in creation of a username folder under C:\Users\ with only first 5 chars of my MS account name. Some Googling and some pretty old articles showed that there are 2 ways...
  6. Username changed on login to Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Username changed on login to Windows 10: When you first boot your system. You see your picture with your username below and are prompted for a pin. Somehow my user name has been changed to Customer Service. Everything is working fine but instead of my usual username I get "Customer Service". I have also been told...
  7. Change username in Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Change username in Windows 10: Hi, my sister has a Windows 10 Pc and by some mistake there was a typographical error in the username. Now whatever Office and other software pick that as the PC name. How can I change it?...
  8. Changing PC Username (Windows 10)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changing PC Username (Windows 10): I want to change my username on my PC. I am the sole user of the PC, so I really only need 1 user (which by default, I imagine, has access to everything). How can I do that? https://imgur.com/JXDLEfy submitted by /u/Power1aj [link] [comments]...
  9. Change account username for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change account username for Windows 10: I have the only account on my PC. It is a Microsoft account, not a local account, with BitLocker enabled. I have discovered that my username in file explorer and in file paths are the first five letters of my email address linked to my Microsoft account. I want to change...
  10. Change windows 10 Home username

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change windows 10 Home username: Hello, I got Win 10 Home OEM with my HP Desktop. I would like to change the username of my local Win 10 account, but that's restricted in Home Edition. So, I would like to upgrade it to Win 10 Enterprise. I have read that changing the username is supported in...