Windows 10: Sorting out File History

Discus and support Sorting out File History in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Looks like File History typically runs forever or is aborted without error messages. The log files suggest that lots of files were not successfully... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by eezacque, Aug 5, 2018.

1. eezacque Win User

Sorting out File History

Looks like File History typically runs forever or is aborted without error messages.

The log files suggest that lots of files were not successfully backed up, without specifics:
    Unable to finish backup cycle for configuration ...
    Unusual condition was encountered during finalization of a backup cycle for configuration ...
    File was not backed up due to an error: <filename follows>
    (The last message is repeated 100s of times)

For me, it is already fatal that essential software fails quietly, or leaves useless error messages in places most users don't even visit, but I would very much like to know if there is any hope to sort this out, before I move on to a third party backup software. Any clue?

:)

eezacque, Aug 5, 2018
  2. #Jon# Win User

File History not backing up any files

Hello Victor

Thank you for the response. I had already checked that thread, but it hasn't helped me:

• The thread deals with Windows 8's implementation of File History, which is somewhat different to that of Windows 10.
    • Most of the thread deals with setting up File History (which I have already done, precisely following the recommended steps). The third link in the thread might have been useful since it appears to link to a page that deals with troubleshooting File History
      (as opposed to setting it up), but unfortunately the link is dead.
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#Jon#, Aug 5, 2018
  3. File History - Does not turn off

To assist you further, we suggest that you try to check on the link below:

Step by Step: File History

Update us on the result.

Marivel Man, Aug 5, 2018
  4. Sorting out File History

File History never copies anything

Hi,

Temporary system failure is one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. To help resolve the issue, we suggest deleting the files in the USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options.
    • Click Stop using this drive.
    • Delete the File History folder on your external drive.
    • Try again to add the USB drive to backup File History.
    Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Aug 5, 2018
Thema:

Sorting out File History

1. Sorting out File History - Similar Threads - Sorting File History

2. Folder/File sort button greyed out in explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder/File sort button greyed out in explorer: Edition Windows 11 Home Single LanguageVersion 22H2Installed on ‎24-‎09-‎2022OS build 22621.521Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22634.1000.0Ever since I updated to 22H2, the folder/file sort option is greyed out. It is greyed out only for "Home Earlier quick...
  3. Folder/File sort button greyed out in explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder/File sort button greyed out in explorer: Edition Windows 11 Home Single LanguageVersion 22H2Installed on ‎24-‎09-‎2022OS build 22621.521Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22634.1000.0Ever since I updated to 22H2, the folder/file sort option is greyed out. It is greyed out only for "Home Earlier quick...
  4. File Sorting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Sorting: Can some explain to me why two folders, both created just using CTRL+SHIFT+N sort the files differently *EDIT- some folders have been created using the 'New Folder' option when sharing a copy of files from Adobe Scan to Google Drive on an Android Phone*? I want the files to...
  5. File sorting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File sorting: I have a folder on a drive that has multiple sub-folders. I want to search the entire folder including sub-folders and sort the results individual files in a particular order date, size, file type, etc..How can I do that?...
  6. File sorting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File sorting: I have a folder on a drive that has multiple sub-folders. I want to search the entire folder including sub-folders and sort the results individual files in a particular order date, size, file type, etc..How can I do that?...
  7. File sorting

in Cortana
  8. File sorting

File sorting: Re the sorting of files. I am not given the option of choosing A to Z, just the normal Name, Date modified, Type etc. So how do I get out of the sorting A to I, H to P and Q to Z? - for those who did not see my original question....
  9. Sorting Files

Sorting Files: Afternoon All Now, this isn't particularly important in the overall scheme of things but the fact that I can't get around it is niggling me a little. I have a new laptop which is running otherwise perfectly. In File Explorer I have a significant number of folders stored...
  10. Not sorting files

Not sorting files: My wife wants to arrange pictures in a file in windows 10 but not with any criteria laid out in any of the items in the "sort by" list how can we do this please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-sorting-files/f38b6235-dc66-4962-904a-ab575a956f04