Windows 10: Sound crackling, clicking etc. when playing sounds

Discus and support Sound crackling, clicking etc. when playing sounds in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello there, I just got myself registered and I have some problems with my sounds (text is copied from sevenforums; some may know it). Problem:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Repa24, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Repa24 Win User

Sound crackling, clicking etc. when playing sounds

Hello there,

I just got myself registered and I have some problems with my sounds (text is copied from sevenforums; some may know it).

Problem:
    You could describe the problem as a sound clicking or crackling. Those appear in various situations, for example when playing a MP3, videos from YT, gamesounds (especially Assetto Corsa: when revving the engine, shifting down etc.) and so on. Mostly they occur when the sound starts or ends (for example a cut in a film), even the simple windows-sound when adjusting the volume has this problem, when i rappidly klick on the volume-slider.

Things i tried, nothing of them helped:

Reinstalled Windows 7 several times, upgraded to Win10, reinstalled Win10 bought a new headset (QH-95), bought two different soundcards (Asus Xonar D1 and Asus Xonar U7), bought a new mainboard (ASRock Z77 Pro3, same as my old one), updated all drivers (reinstalled windows), checked the sound with the Latency Check-programm (mostly yellow, tried disabling drivers, didn't help), tried playing the sounds without soundcard (Asus Xonar D1) , changed sound frequienzies, played audio without WiFi on, played audio without any devices (apart from headset and mouse), checked with and defragmentaded my harddrive.

There is still no solution until this day. I slowly start to belive i'm the only one who can hear those sounds, it's just crazy and and the same time also depressing.

Examples of videos where the crackling appears for me (tell me if you can hear it):

Crackling starts at 0:20

Video made by me; right after the downshifts 0:10 - ...

PC Specs:

Windows 10

ASRock Z77 Pro3
    Intel i5 3570k (was overclocked, but I did reset it)
    8 GB RAM
    ASUS HD 7950
    1 TB Harddrive
    Thermalright HR-02 Macho (CPU-cooler)

Senneheiser PC360
    Asus Xonar D1

Logitech G400 (Mouse)
    Logitech G510 (Keyboard)
    Logitech Driving Force GT (Driving wheel)

Those are the most frustrating PC-problems i ever had, hopefully somebody can help me.
    Sound crackling, clicking etc. when playing sounds [​IMG]

Regards,
    Florian

:)

Repa24, Apr 1, 2016
  2. Nocturn9 Win User

N900 Sound Problem

Good Day

I purchased a nokia N900 at the start of this year. I love the phone. However recently anything I use on it that requires sound it makes a crackling noise. When I receive calls,play music or videos I can barely hear anything because of the crackling sound.
    I tried my headset and still the crackling sound persists. I even used to FM transmitter and it even picks up the crackling sound on the radio. I reloaded the software, but still no cure for the problem. Please can I have some feedback on this matter.

Thanks

Nocturn9, Apr 1, 2016
  3. sound crackling

When play a video on windows media player and movies&tv app,the visual's sound is crackling.

abhilash22, Apr 1, 2016
  4. skeen Win User

Are you letting windows take care of your drivers? Is so, try installing drivers from the manufacturers website, mainly the chipset drivers. Try updating your BIOS. You mentioned using a headset, are you also getting the same results through speakers? Are you getting any spikes in your volume mixer?
    If you have any Dolby settings turned on, try setting the audio to stereo.
    I would also try running a Live Linux CD to see if you have the same problem. If not, you can assume it's probably a windows issue.
    I doubt it's the case, but I wonder if it could also be power surges.

skeen, Apr 9, 2016
  5. Repa24 Win User
    Just checked again with the Latency Tool, it constantly shows yellow bars, so I have to correct the list above. Tried disabling the drivers in the device manager, didn't help.

To the questions:

No, I update all the drivers myself. I already did update my BIOS some time ago and there's now new update afaik.
    Well, i bought a brend new headset from Amazon, tried it, still crackling.
    I got none of those Dolby Settings.

Okay, before we continue, i might have to clear some things up. I didn't have the problems before December 2014 (had Win7, same headset), then it suddenly started (i started to notice it in Assetto Corsa, a racing game. If I already had those problems back then, Iwould have noticed it for sure!).
    Like I already described it above, the crackles/pops occur when one soundfile stops and another soundfile starts.
    Sometimes I also experience an extremely loud "white noise" when skipping through youtube-videos, I had to throw my headset off the head because it was so damn loud (the volume slider doesn't affect the white-noise).

I already googled A LOT, nobody seems to have the exact same sound-issues with that racing game. I mean, if anybody else had this problem, I should be able to find some threads aobut that (that's why i think it's not a fault of the game).

The only thing i can still think of is my power supply, which I might try to replace in the next time.

Did you hear the pops/crackles in the videos I posted above? Would be nice to know.

Repa24, Apr 10, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, just a note on drivers in Win 10. Hopefully you know that most of the drivers are maintained by Uncle MS. If a user installs driver older or newer than Uncle MS thinks is good for you, he will replace it, unless you take special action. (See Tutorial section for how to hide Windows updates).

If you search the forum using the box above, you will find a number of results for 'stuttering' e.g. and plenty of people who've been using LatencyMon from Resplendence

Here are a few I picked out:
    https://www.tenforums.com/general-sup...-speakers.html

I've solved the pops and crackles from Realtek chips, and others, by going to Control Panel Power Settings and setting 'Minimum processor state' to 100%.

Not ideal, but serves as a workaround until they release better drivers.

Random Stuttering / DPC Latency Nightmare
    I have noticed though that it is only the internal sound card that is affected by this(popping and stuff) by using a bluetooth headset which has no problems with DPC

For those on Intel and raid this might explain something HDD click (excessive load-unload cycles) | Intel Communities

For me the solution was as simple as changing the router beacon interval to 100, over 100 causes stutter on windows 10 and torrent client open.

PC lagging and stuttering during network traffic (Win 10) - Windows 10 Forums
    Just an update on this, it seems with the PC in "High Performance" mode these stutters don't occur.

dalchina, Apr 11, 2016
  7. Repa24 Win User
    Thanks for the answers.
    Sadly, not any one of them helped. I already did have the problem on Win7, actually I upgraded to Win10 because I hoped the new OS would resolve the issue, which is not the case. I did not change a thing on the hardware or software site back in December 2014, it just started the next day and it would become annoying (i noticeed it especially in Assetto Corsa).

I would love to see an answer on the question, if anyone can hear the same crackles/pops in the videos I linked in my starting post above. Thanks!

- - - -

Edit:

Just wanted to reinstall Assetto Corsa via steam while i was hearing some music, suddenly I only could hear the sound on my left ear, the right side of my headset was silent. After a restart of my computer, I could hear both sides of my headset again. Just wanted to let that here.

Repa24, Apr 11, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Hi, try searching (the internet) as follows
    Asus Xonar crackling

- rather a lot of results.

Feel free to search this forum too for more.

dalchina, Apr 11, 2016
  9. Repa24 Win User
    Actually, I bought the soundcard because of the crackling/pops (see "Things i tried" in the start post). Tried to deactivate it again, didn't help. But thanks for your help anyways!

Repa24, Apr 11, 2016
  10. CEL
    Cel Win User
    You should make a screenshot of the drivers page of LatencyMon and post it here.

"Yellow bars" doesn't tell anything about the drivers and their response time.

11. dalchina New Member
    When you use LatencyMon also look at the Statistics and Drivers tabs.
    Try to identify drivers responsible and try disabling them.

Process Explorer may help.

dalchina, Apr 12, 2016
  12. Repa24 Win User
    The windows of the DPC Latency shows this:

LatencyMon shows this. I already googled about the USBPORT.sys but this seems to be an issue which is more related to Windows 7.

Repa24, Apr 15, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

Do you use Bitdefender?

dalchina, Apr 15, 2016
  14. Repa24 Win User
    No, I use GData Antivirus.

Repa24, Apr 15, 2016
  15. dalchina New Member
    Hi, you may like to try stopping your AV doing port scans, if it does.

Follow thru any ideas in these:
    https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1491848
    USBPORT.sys causing high interrupts in my system, leading to CPU usage spikes and stutter in games. Is it a problem with my motherboards USB ports or my Fiio E10?

The attached file contains all the hints and possible solutions I've picked up from these reports. There are som fixes that have worked for those people, but each situtation is individual.

Have a look at your task manager- you may find System Interrupts is using more CPU time than it should.

dalchina, Apr 15, 2016
Thema:

1. Sound crackling, clicking etc. when playing sounds - Similar Threads - Sound crackling clicking

2. crackling sound?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    crackling sound?: i joined the insider program to get a new windows 11 update then restarted and all my sound is crackling https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/crackling-sound/94964467-f487-4e19-be07-6a2f6ae16553
  3. crackling sound?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    crackling sound?: i joined the insider program to get a new windows 11 update then restarted and all my sound is crackling https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/crackling-sound/94964467-f487-4e19-be07-6a2f6ae16553
  4. Crackling sound

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Crackling sound: Hi all,I have a strange symptom I can't get repaired my self, please help.The symptoms I am experiencing:1. A crackling sound through my speakers when sound plays. It doesn't matter what application i use. 2. When the PC gets really busy, music slows down a bit it's not...
  5. Crackling sound

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Crackling sound: Hi all,I have a strange symptom I can't get repaired my self, please help.The symptoms I am experiencing:1. A crackling sound through my speakers when sound plays. It doesn't matter what application i use. 2. When the PC gets really busy, music slows down a bit it's not...
  6. Crackling sound when playing music

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Crackling sound when playing music: I heard crackling sound when playing music on Chrome, Edge browser, even I plugged in headphone I still heard that sound. Except playing music on local disk, I didn't hear that. By the same time, my laptop has worked slower than before since the issue appeared. I tried...
  7. Sound Crackling/Popping

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sound Crackling/Popping: I finally changed my Win7 to Win10 after few years because my friend convinced me. Now all of a sudden i got crackling issues with my audio since the first day i installed it, it comes and goes. YouTube everything! It drives me insane. I tried reinstalling drivers, I even...
  8. Crackling sound when playing video files.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Crackling sound when playing video files.: So over the last few weeks, i've noticed an occasional crackling sound when playing video files on windows 10. It affects, youtube & netflix in chrome and edge as well as from files on my pc. I've uninstalled updated all video and sound drivers, rolled back windows,...
  9. Crackling sound on laptop

Crackling sound on laptop: Hello, i have a HP Pavilion 14 with windows 10. Intel i7-4510U, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA 840M. I dont know how and why but my pc is so laggy and start to make a crackling sound like a sound of a bee in a mili second i guess but repeteadly when i stream a video or open a game. At first...
  10. Sound Crackles

Sound Crackles: Whenever I'm watching a stream or playing a game with a stream my sound crackles and pops. I'm using Sennhieser PC 363d and I've tried another headset and also speakers and I'm still experiencing the sound issues. It started happening about 3 weeks ago when I started playing...