Windows 10: Sound File Reports Wrong Information

Discus and support Sound File Reports Wrong Information in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi all I have a sound file that reports it's only 880k big and 13 seconds long. If I pay it in a media player, it's actually a few minutes. I also... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SirTophamHatt, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Sound File Reports Wrong Information

Hi all

I have a sound file that reports it's only 880k big and 13 seconds long.
    If I pay it in a media player, it's actually a few minutes. I also suspect it isn't actually 880k big as it's around 300kbps. I read VBR songs, if encoded incorrectly, use the first bits of the file to display it's time length.

Found this: VBRFix new version: Corrects Stream Length bug

but the program doesn't work, despite it saying it has.

I have others that report being 30+ minutes but are less than 5.

Is there anything I can do?

:)

SirTophamHatt, Jun 1, 2017
  2. petrib Win User

Nokia N96 release date, and Chinese counterfeits on eBay

Report by whom? The reporter's credibility has an impact on the credibiliness of the message (and even credible reporters can err if they have the wrong information).

petrib, Jun 1, 2017
  3. How do i uninstall groove music?

Nothing wrong with the phone, it can play remastered files the way it's supposed to sound, but the problem is the files, don't sound good.

EthanChoojitarom, Jun 1, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Sound File Reports Wrong Information

Suggest you upload such a file and provide a link to it..

Please post a screenshot showing how you see a report of incorrect duration. Thanks.

dalchina, Jun 1, 2017
  5. I zipped the file (attached).
    Right-click and see the properties. However, when you actually play it, the file time length is completely different.

6. Bree New Member
    File Explorer shows 13 seconds.
    Groove Music plays 13 seconds.
    Audacity opens it and plays 13 seconds.
    FFmpeg shows:
    Code: Metadata: album : Kalax artist : Kalax genre : Electronic title : Time Lapse track : 1 date : 2017 Duration: 00:00:13.56, start: 0.023021, bitrate: 539 kb/s Stream #0:0: Audio: mp3, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16p, 310 kb/s[/quote] Converting it using FFmpeg to another file make a 13 second long copy.

Whatever you are playing after the 13 seconds is up is not in this file, somehow it's linking to another when you play it?

Bree, Jun 1, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    This is only 13s long - which player were you using?

Sound File Reports Wrong Information [​IMG]

dalchina, Jun 1, 2017
  8. Sound File Reports Wrong Information

Hmm.
    Maybe that wasn't the file I was looking at through an audio program.

However, I have tested this one (attached) and it really does distort the time. However, ran it through the program I linked to and it worked this time.

Peter Sandberg - Truth.zip

Will mark as solved though as the program did correct it.

9. dalchina New Member

That one is different.
    Also very low bit rate and 1 min 40 is short for a song.

dalchina, Jun 1, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    That one reports 1:58 in Properties, but is actually 1:50 when played. Converting with Ffmpeg gives a copy that's 01:49.82 long. I have seen small discrepancies like this before - a few seconds difference between 'properties' and actual play time, even on some of my own recordings.

11. Does it report the low kbps because it's a variable bitrate file?
    So that program just looks at the first section and decides it's all the same?

12. dalchina New Member
    No, that's Windows properties sheet showing 18s, overlaid on the wave editor. 2 different things.

Here you can see it's VBR
    VLC player -> 1min 49.

If I create a new VBR file from the wave editor, the length is consistently reported ok.

How was the file created?

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Sound File Reports Wrong Information

1. Sound File Reports Wrong Information - Similar Threads - Sound File Reports

2. File Explorer Properties are indicating wrong information

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Properties are indicating wrong information: let me try my best to accurately explain the situation from my layman’s perspective, meaning, I am no computer expert and know enough to be a danger to myself. Also, I will try to be descripted as I can, however, I encourage you to analyze the entire post; as there may be...
  3. File Explorer Properties are indicating wrong information

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Properties are indicating wrong information: let me try my best to accurately explain the situation from my layman’s perspective, meaning, I am no computer expert and know enough to be a danger to myself. Also, I will try to be descripted as I can, however, I encourage you to analyze the entire post; as there may be...
  4. Crucial P5 M2 NVMe SSD reports wrong used and free spaces information

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Crucial P5 M2 NVMe SSD reports wrong used and free spaces information: Dear Sir/MadamHelloCrucial P5 M2 NVMe SSD reports wrong used and free spaces informationI contacted crucial support , they didn't resolve issuethis issue related to a specific file "image backup file"after format ssd reports 1.81 TB free of 1.81 TB,image backup file size...
  5. Crucial P5 M2 NVMe SSD reports wrong used and free spaces information

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Crucial P5 M2 NVMe SSD reports wrong used and free spaces information: Dear Sir/MadamHelloCrucial P5 M2 NVMe SSD reports wrong used and free spaces informationI contacted crucial support , they didn't resolve issuethis issue related to a specific file "image backup file"after format ssd reports 1.81 TB free of 1.81 TB,image backup file size...
  6. Wrong location information

in Cortana
    Wrong location information: My laptop running Windows 10 is providing wrong location information ...how do I fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wrong-location-information/83d5a1c0-2b0d-47d6-9970-986bfec5810c
  7. Reported storage wrong

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reported storage wrong: My Windows 10 storage is in several ways inaccurate. When I go to my settings and look at my storage, it lists apps that are no longer installed and which even say they aren't installed when I click on them through this route, but they are still being counted as taking...
  8. wrong system information

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    wrong system information: hello, I own an Asus laptop, model F554LA. Since I updated to win10 I occasionally have flickering screen problems, possibly due to wrong display adapter driver. I have tried every possible solution found on the internet but the problem always reappears. Lately I discovered...
  9. BATTERY WRONG INFORMATION

in Windows 10 Customization
    BATTERY WRONG INFORMATION: My device is ACER ASPIRER3-131T and its one year old device,no issues in battery usage but while charging at level between 90 to 98 percent It's saying more 20 to 30 mins remaining to full charge!how is it possible?pls any solution to it?...
  10. Crazy Report / Wrong Report

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Crazy Report / Wrong Report: well i finish format my PC i install drivers and programs and when i check command perform /report this appear [img] [img] is imposibility beacuse before format this error / warning dont appear , and also i have literaly a monster PC i7 3930k 16 GB ram ddr3 SSD...