Windows 10: sound not working on windows 10

Discus and support sound not working on windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; ello! so before i start i want to say that i am NOT in any way shape or form a pro at pc's. so, if i've done something wrong, don't go harsh on me and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dariia, Oct 5, 2017.

1. dariia Win User

sound not working on windows 10

ello! so before i start i want to say that i am NOT in any way shape or form a pro at pc's.
    so, if i've done something wrong, don't go harsh on me and please explain what i am supposed to do to fix it clearly and calmly.

well, i updated realtek drivers (but the thing is, when i went into device manager, under sound there wasn't any realtek thing, only "AMD High Definition Audio Device".
    But I had SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION BSOD's and I thought I should update drivers and when I wanted to update my audio drivers, I installed realtek, thinking it is a must have on all pc's (is it?)

anyways, after installing, i reeboted and.. boom, no sound. I have a red x next to the sound icon on the bottom right (running windows 10).
    When I go into "Sounds" it says "no audio devices are installed" or something among these lines, even though I have my HyperX Cloud Core Headphones plugged in.

I then went back into "Device Manager" just to see that both my AMD Driver and *new* Realtek driver have a caution sign next to them. Double-clicked and found out that the drivers are supposedly corrupted or missing.

any help is appreciated. thank you!

Please help!

:)

dariia, Oct 5, 2017

2. Sound not working on Windows 10

Thank you for the detailed response. Since you have already tried some troubleshooting steps, we recommend that you check this support page article: Fix
    sound problems
    and follow the additional solutions provided in the drop-down menu. Once you are done, kindly reply back and tell us the result.

We'll wait for your update.

Jennifer Cha, Oct 5, 2017
  3. David Haz Win User
    Sound not working on Windows 10 Home

Hi Nathan,

If your computer is not playing any sounds or audio, it could be that there is a process or service within the system that is conflicting with your sound card drivers, or that it may point out to hardware failure. For us to isolate the audio issue, kindly
    respond to the questions below:

• When did the issue start to occur? Did it happen after installing an app?
    • What changes have you made before the issue occurred?
    • Aside from what you have mentioned from your post, are there any other troubleshooting steps that you have done? This is for us to know and to avoid any duplication of efforts on your end.

We look forward to your response.

David Haz, Oct 5, 2017
  4. sound not working on windows 10

Hi dariia.

First you need to update your specs with the exact Motherboard you have. Right from box or documentation. I can't find that board on their site and that is where this journey begins.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 5, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    - I suggest that's where to start - in the BSOD section of the forum.

To clarify- were you experiencing the BSODs before installing the Realtek drivers or afterwards?

ASRock > Z170 Pro4S

• Supports 7th and 6th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors (Socket 1151)
    • Digi Power, 10 Power Phase design
    • Supports DDR4 3866+(OC) memory modules
    • 2 PCIe 3.0 x16, 3 PCIe 3.0 x1
    • AMD Quad CrossFireX™, CrossFireX™
    • Graphics Output Options: DVI-D, HDMI
    • 7.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec), ELNA Audio Caps
    • 2 SATA Express, 6 SATA3, 1 Ultra M.2 (PCIe Gen3 x4 & SATA3)
    • 8 USB 3.1 Gen1 (2 Front, 6 Rear)
    • Supports Full Spike Protection, ASRock Live Update & APP Shop

dalchina, Oct 6, 2017
  6. I agree with dalchina you need to BSOD fixed.

That said I would go to device manager, find your realtec adapter and unintall it and the software associated with it.

Restart.

Then check device manager again in the sound section. If windows hasn't install driver for realtec, restart and enter your BIOS and ensure your onboard sound is enabled.

After you save BIOS, if changes were necessary let windows boot. Check device manager again. If windows hasn't installed realtec drivers head to your motherboard manufacture website and download audio driver they have and install it.

Check device manager again. Should be no exclamation marks.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

sound not working on windows 10

1. sound not working on windows 10 - Similar Threads - sound working

2. Galaxy earbuds 2 sound not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Galaxy earbuds 2 sound not working: hello, i recently got some galaxy earbuds2, i want to use them for gaming and calling at the same time, but when im in calls, i get no PC sound, only sound from the call.they are connected through bluetooth...
  3. Galaxy earbuds 2 sound not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Galaxy earbuds 2 sound not working: hello, i recently got some galaxy earbuds2, i want to use them for gaming and calling at the same time, but when im in calls, i get no PC sound, only sound from the call.they are connected through bluetooth...
  4. Galaxy earbuds 2 sound not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Sound stopped working in wired headphone on my Surface Pro 9

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound stopped working in wired headphone on my Surface Pro 9: Hi,So I've been using a wired headphone on my Microsoft Surface Pro 9 to listen, the device doesn't support a 3.5mm audio jack Port but it does have a type-c port which I use an adapter to plug in my headphone, everything was find, no problem at all, I plug out the headphone...
  6. Sound stopped working in wired headphone on my Surface Pro 9

Sound stopped working in wired headphone on my Surface Pro 9: Hi,So I've been using a wired headphone on my Microsoft Surface Pro 9 to listen, the device doesn't support a 3.5mm audio jack Port but it does have a type-c port which I use an adapter to plug in my headphone, everything was find, no problem at all, I plug out the headphone...
  7. HP Laptop sound not working Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    HP Laptop sound not working Windows 11: [IMG]If your HP laptop sound is not working on your Windows 11, this post will help you. This problem can be frustrating because you cannot watch videos, or listen to your favorite songs on your laptop. Usually, this problem occurs due to outdated or corrupted audio drivers,...
  8. Due to intel smart sound technology, the microphone stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Due to intel smart sound technology, the microphone stopped working: I install the drivers for sound, and along with the drivers, intel smart sound was downloaded, after which there was a hiss from my microphone, while the sound was...
  9. Due to intel smart sound technology, the microphone stopped working

Due to intel smart sound technology, the microphone stopped working: I install the drivers for sound, and along with the drivers, intel smart sound was downloaded, after which there was a hiss from my microphone, while the sound was...
  10. Sound stops working after every Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound stops working after every Windows 10 update: I have checked: update, up to date, sound device drivers, latest is installed. Using Windows 10 Enterprise on an Hp Elite Desk. Why does this keep happening?***moved from Microsoft Edge / All other issues / Windows 10***...