Windows 10: Sound - speakers/headphones - stopped working on ASUS laptop

Discus and support Sound - speakers/headphones - stopped working on ASUS laptop in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I tend to doubt the sound chip has failed. Take a look at this thread if you haven't already to see if it is of help. Sometimes installing one audio... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by asus2016, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Sound - speakers/headphones - stopped working on ASUS laptop

I tend to doubt the sound chip has failed. Take a look at this thread if you haven't already to see if it is of help. Sometimes installing one audio device, or one only with some audio capability, kicks out the sound device you want to be the system default for playback.

wordsworth, Mar 15, 2018

2. IMO, the realtek/conexant DAC chip on the motherboard is the last thing to ever fail on the system. I would try booting without signed driver check and see if the issue is resolved

theveterans, Mar 15, 2018
  3. I really think, that first thing you should do, is boot your device into safe mode. Then while still in safe mode fire up device manager and find ALL audio related drivers and devices, both physical and virtual, enabled and hidden. Remove every single one of those. Then finally boot into normal mode and let Windows find suitable drivers.

This procedure often solves hardware related issues.

I still doubt the hardware has physically failed, but it's rather a conflict issue in Windows that was caused by the installation of the Cisco VPN tools.

slicendice, Mar 15, 2018
  4. asus2016 Win User

Sound - speakers/headphones - stopped working on ASUS laptop

I appreciate the last two posts. The repair shop did boot the computer into safe mode, and into non-Windows OS's. For now, I'm content to ask, as in Post #13, if the inexpensive product I'm looking at should address my problem.

asus2016, Mar 15, 2018
  5. That USB soundcard would solve the issue IMO. However, its internal amplifier power might be weaker than the ones built-in to your laptop and therefore may not be suitable for medium high volume level (distorts easily). I would just purchase it and see if it's loud enough with your headphones.

theveterans, Mar 16, 2018
  6. asus2016 Win User
    The product I mentioned in post #13 above did the trick for us. Whatever the sound limitations of this product, the laptop isn't being used to listen to the NY Philharmonic or U2. And to accomplish our low-bar goal - restoring headphone-listenable sound to the computer - a $7 part easily wins over a $280 (parts and labor) MB replacement!

asus2016, Mar 18, 2018
  7. *Thumbs

slicendice, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Sound - speakers/headphones - stopped working on ASUS laptop

1. Sound - speakers/headphones - stopped working on ASUS laptop - Similar Threads - Sound speakers headphones

2. No sound on speaker, but on headphone is worked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No sound on speaker, but on headphone is worked: Hello,So last week I go to a computer repair service to replace my laptop's keyboard my laptop still on Windows 10. When I take it back, I noticed that the computer can't automatically switch between speaker and headphone. I bring my laptop again to them and they tried to do...
  3. No sound on speaker, but on headphone is worked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No sound on speaker, but on headphone is worked: Hello,So last week I go to a computer repair service to replace my laptop's keyboard my laptop still on Windows 10. When I take it back, I noticed that the computer can't automatically switch between speaker and headphone. I bring my laptop again to them and they tried to do...
  4. Sound not working in external speakers, but works in headphones, VR headset, and ASUS monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound not working in external speakers, but works in headphones, VR headset, and ASUS monitor: Hi,I just re-installed Windows 10. All sounds was working before re-install...External speakers, headphones, VR headset, and ASUS monitor. After re-install everything is working except the external speakers. Everything is showing up fine in device manager. All drivers are...
  5. Sound not working in external speakers, but works in headphones, VR headset, and ASUS monitor

Sound not working in external speakers, but works in headphones, VR headset, and ASUS monitor: Hi,I just re-installed Windows 10. All sounds was working before re-install...External speakers, headphones, VR headset, and ASUS monitor. After re-install everything is working except the external speakers. Everything is showing up fine in device manager. All drivers are...
  6. Sound not working in external speakers, but works in headphones, VR headset, and ASUS monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Sound Not Working, 'No speakers or headphones are plugged in'

Sound Not Working, 'No speakers or headphones are plugged in': The sound is not working and it does not even register my laptops speakers as existing, there is a red x on the volume icon on the bottom of my page. The sound does however playback when I connect a Bluetooth device and it plays back on the device just fine. When I disconnect...
  8. No Sound From HeadPhones But Speaker Works

No Sound From HeadPhones But Speaker Works: I Have a HP Pavilion g7-1355dx Notebook PC And I Just Upgraded From Windows 7 To Windows 10 And I Cant Hear Anything From My Headphones But Only From My Internal Speaker. The HeadPhones Work Fine On My DeskTop And They Dont Require A Drive. have tried updating the...
  9. Audio sound not working on speakers/or headphones. No sound

Audio sound not working on speakers/or headphones. No sound: Yesterday my audio worked fine on both my speakers on my laptop (Dell Inspiron/N5110) and headphones. Then all of a sudden they stopped working. I have made sure that all the volumes are not muted. I did a troubleshoot on playing audio and it said low audio device volume...
  10. No sound from headphones but speakers work.

No sound from headphones but speakers work.: Hello, I have a laptop - Asus GL551JW-DS71. My speakers work fine but when I plug in my headphones, I can't hear any sound from the headphones. The headphones do work as I use them for my desktop. I have tried updating the sound drivers from the device manager. I...