Windows 10: Sound, Start Menu and Cortana stopped working

Discus and support Sound, Start Menu and Cortana stopped working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Now, for some odd reason, on my computer, the sound, start menu and cortana stopped working and I can't even get past the sign in menu without it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MizushimaKasumi, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Sound, Start Menu and Cortana stopped working

Now, for some odd reason, on my computer, the sound, start menu and cortana stopped working and I can't even get past the sign in menu without it telling me to sign out so they can "fix" this problem which I've done 3 times now so I have no clue if I screwed up this computer or what.

It started with the sound first, then the start menu so I decided to restart my computer manually (which was a bad idea, apparently) and I guess Cortana just died on me when I got back on.

Also, if this helps any, my computer is on Windows 10 Pro Preview still.

:)

MizushimaKasumi, Jul 28, 2015

2. KB3124263 Start menu stops working, sound stoped working

After KB3124263 sound stoped working, and Start menu stops working after a few hours.

1. Sound -fixed

I found that sound stoped working after this update... I restored computer to before update and sound started working.. reinstalled update and stoped working again.. Fix.. Re-installed sound drivers and works great.

2. Startmenu/task bar/cortana- not fixed

Start menu/taskbar/cortana cuts out after hours of use.

Start menu, Cortana,and right click taskbar to close a probram fine on boot up then cuts out mid day.

I tried ending Cortana with task manager to restart cortana.. did not help.

I did sfc /scannow and no problems detected.

every few hours I have to do a restart due to start menu broken... then its fine for a few more hours.

mortensenjim, Jul 28, 2015
  3. Unable to access Start menu, Cortana, Taskbar, Sound after upgrading to Windows 10

Hey there everyone,

Couple of days ago I installed windows 10. In the beginning it worked fine but recently i am facing problem that my taskbar, Cortana and sound all stops working. I have no sound, Cortana not working, cant open action center or sound or battery or anything
    in the task bar, not even start menu, So I really want someone to help me on this. This is really frustrating not having things work when you need them.

Waiting for a reply.

Regards

Miran.

Original title :Taskbar, Cortana and Sound

Miran NoorUl Haq, Jul 28, 2015
  4. Diewoe Win User

Sound, Start Menu and Cortana stopped working

Yeah i am having the same problem, the Start menu will not work and Cortana is not working. If i didn't have shortcuts on my desktop i wouldn't even be able to use my computer lol. Also i got a notification that i can not open or view. I click it i get the blue spinning thing for a second and then nothing same as everything else.

I wanted to add that it worked fine for the first 10 hours, it wasn't until i woke the computer up out of sleep mode that this happened.

Diewoe, Jul 29, 2015
  5. ksjk1998 Win User
    @MizushimaKasumi
    welcome to the club

ksjk1998, Jul 29, 2015
  6. ksjk1998 Win User
    @MizushimaKasumi
    actually, lemme see if I can't fix you sound problem. When you actually log in, right click your sound icon and go to playback devices. There you should see your current sound device. Whatever it is, double click it and go to advanced. Now I have mine at 24 bit at 192000 Hz. But play around with yours if mine doesn't work. That usually solves THAT problem

ksjk1998, Jul 29, 2015
  7. Yea cortana stopped working for me too, when I press the mic button the grey box just comes up and disappears.

Winterwolf94, Aug 5, 2015
  8. YOU
    You Win User

Have tried sfc /scannow to check for corrupt files? Also, although it's very unlikely (VERY), it could be the result of planned obsolescence - after a few months, r copy of Technical Preview will start intentionally misbehaving. should still know about this, though. Microsoft reveals Windows 10 copies will expire | Digital Trends

9. I did the sfc /scannow and it came back saying it found corrupt files and was only able to fix some of them. Cortana still does not work for me though.

Winterwolf94, Aug 5, 2015
  10. Diewoe Win User
    i just did a restore to when Windows 10 was first installed even though no new files were installed and it works fine now. Has been fine ever since. No clue as to why it did what it did. i am sure it's just some weird bug.

Diewoe, Aug 5, 2015
  11. Having the same problem on Windows 10 release. In addition, when this happens the NIC does not work. Logging off and hard reboot fixes the problem. It is very annoying though.

truepharaoh, Sep 23, 2015
  12. musky Win User
    the start button does nothing for me i rebooted and it did not help.

musky, Sep 23, 2015
  13. Richaarrd Win User

Interesting post... I have same problem except the opposite... in order to fix the (non) behavior, I put it to "sleep" for a minute and then wake it up and search works until re-boot, when I have to repeat the workaround... very repeatable... I wonder if this annoyance will be fixed in November update...

Richaarrd, Nov 26, 2015
  14. Hwalker1 Win User
    Just ran scannow in RUN and after that it now seems to be working.
    Cortana however will not answer any questions at all unless I switch my browser to Microsoft edge - which is somewhat impossible as I don't have a copy on my windows 10. In the European Union this type of attitude where you are not allowed to use a a browser of your choice is illegal. Without cortana, I cannot open any of my old programs in windows, because they are not listed in the apps list. I have used Fireworks by Adobe for my graphics for years, but since win 10 I have had to get Cortana to run it for me. Now that I have no edge browser, cortana will not open and run the program. This is theft as far as I can see, and Microsoft is the thief. I will be taking legal action to get it sorted. Anyone like to join me?

Hwalker1, May 8, 2016
  15. dalchina New Member
    Hi, as you probably know, MS has now made Edge (+Bing) the only browser you can use with Cortana, preventing the previous choice of browsers.
    Microsoft blocks Google Chrome other browsers from Cortana in latest Windows 10 release
    Note that restriction must have come with an update- which you could uninstall.
    Possible workaround - using Chrome to change both browser and search engine:
    How To Redirect Cortana Searches Back to Chrome on Windows 10

I don't know why you don't have Edge- you should have.

Notwithstanding that, use a replacement start menu to get full access to legacy folder-based menus.
    Classic Shell (free) is very good, or you can try one of the replacements that offer a tiled menu.
    This will let you find and launch all your programs -it's very configurable in style, from Win 7 to XP-style expanding columns

Its search also offers a choice of internet, files and start menu search.

dalchina, May 8, 2016
Thema:

1. Sound, Start Menu and Cortana stopped working - Similar Threads - Sound Start Menu

2. Start menu and Cortana not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu and Cortana not working: Hi, I uninstalled a quality update of windows 11 because my computer has been freezing several times and after I uninstalled, my computer went well for only a few minutes before it freezed again. My cursor was the only thing that can move while my PC frozed. It showed me a...
  3. Start menu and Cortana not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu and Cortana not working: Hi, I uninstalled a quality update of windows 11 because my computer has been freezing several times and after I uninstalled, my computer went well for only a few minutes before it freezed again. My cursor was the only thing that can move while my PC frozed. It showed me a...
  4. Start Menu Sometimes Stops Working And Cortana Becomes Shorter

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Sometimes Stops Working And Cortana Becomes Shorter: Hey, everybody. Right now, sometimes, I would click on the start menu and it will not open. However, Cortana still works, but the window is shorter than usual. I have to restart Windows Explorer every time that happens, but it is only a temporary fix. Can you please help me...
  5. Start menu not working, Cortana not working.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start menu not working, Cortana not working.: I'm on Windows 10 and the following stopped working: Start menu Cortana Notifications on task bar Wifi connections list button on task bar Windows + I ( We couldn't connect to Microsoft family right now, so your family on this device might not be up to date) I...
  6. Start Menu and Cortana Not Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu and Cortana Not Working: So for the past couple of months I've been dealing with this issue. I managed to fix a couple of other issues with my computer, mainly wifi driver issues but I still can't open up my start menu or cortana. Another Issue I have are daily blue screens from driver failure fslx....
  7. Cortana and Start Menu Stopped Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana and Start Menu Stopped Working: Hello, I am struggle a lot with Windows 10 honestly. So all of a sudden, Cortana stopped functioning and start menu stopped working. I have tried all steps and tweaks available out there to fix the issue beside changing the profile and backing up the entire user because...
  8. start menu is not working and cortana

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu is not working and cortana: suddenly my start menu and cortana is not working please help fast 33252
  9. Cortana and Start Menu Not Working

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana and Start Menu Not Working: After the most recent Windows Update, the Start Menu and Cortana stopped working. You can't type in the search bar and can't click on anything in the Start Menu. This is Windows 10 on a Dell XPS that was originally Windows 7. I tried a bunch of things and when I did a sfc...
  10. Windows Start menu and Cortana/ Search stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Start menu and Cortana/ Search stopped working: Have the Anniversary edition. Suddenly the start menu and Cortana have stoped working. As has right click menus on the start bar? It was okay after the initial install?? Have tried several restarts but no change. Dan 60994