Windows 10: Sound stopped working after updating to windows 10

Discus and support Sound stopped working after updating to windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Problem: 1) Since updating to windows 10, Laptop completely incapable of making any sound out of the speakers. 2) Headphones plugged into jack... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by nebuchadn3zzar, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Sound stopped working after updating to windows 10

Problem:
    1) Since updating to windows 10, Laptop completely incapable of making any sound out of the speakers.
    2) Headphones plugged into jack produces no volume out of earbuds
    3) The Color of the volume slider when F9 or F10 is pressed is a light yellowish orange. Not the Usual Green
    4) Playing a test tone creates an error box "Failed to play test tone"

Things I have Tried
    1) Downloading a new Driver (failed)
    2) Resting the sound and Sound system (failed)
    3) Finding the mute button and unmuting the computer (it wan't muted)
    4) Restarting the computer
    Edit: 5) Tried to switch playback options, There are only 2: 24 Bit: 48000 Hz, 16 Bit 48000 Hz (DVD quality)

Solution I want:
    1) My toshiba to actually play sound out of speakers
    2) toshiba to play sound out of headphones.

I'm not sure if this is a hardware of software problem. Any way I'm posting it on both Toshiba and Windows 10 Forums.
    -CRO

:)

nebuchadn3zzar, Feb 2, 2016

2. The sound stopped working after update

Original Title: The Sound

After the update to windows 10 the sound stopped working how do i fix this

javawneycrooks, Feb 2, 2016
  3. Sound/audio not working on windows 10

My sound is not working? It was working, but after an update it stop working. Please advise? I have a gateway NV52 and have windows 10.

Davey James, Feb 2, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Sound stopped working after updating to windows 10

Hello *Smile

I have heard of this happening. One other thing to try:

Right click on the Volume tray icon and select Playback Devices
    Select Speakers and Properties
    Select the Advanced tab and try changing the bit depth and test. Mine's on Studio quality but CD quality is usually quite adequate.

Sound stopped working after updating to windows 10 [​IMG]

For some reason changing this to something else and back again has been known to sort the problem out.

philc43, Feb 2, 2016
  5. Hello nebuchadn3zzar Welcome to the Ten Forums!

philc43 is quite correct on checking the playback properties as well as going through the configuration optoin also part of that. Also if you reply back with the model of the Toshiba laptop you have there the Windows 8.1 x64 drivers could be looked since those will work as good substitutes on 10. I ran into this on an older HP 7 laptop that was upgraded to 10 last summer and found the 8.1 drivers were what it took to get everything set to go.

Night Hawk, Feb 2, 2016
  6. I tried this and I do not have the same number of options that you have. I only have 2 different options, one DVD quality and one non-DVD quality. Neither of them work. When I get home from Work I'll try the other method.

nebuchadn3zzar, Feb 2, 2016
  7. Well if you post the model number for the laptop you have there the W8.1 x64 drivers can be looked up if none for 10 are found. This is often found to be the case with older model laptops due to the fast turnover to newer model series as well as that first year wait when any not just 10 but "ANY" newer version comes out. You wait and wait and wait and.... if you end up seeing the updated drivers at all that is?!

Night Hawk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Sound stopped working after updating to windows 10

1. Sound stopped working after updating to windows 10 - Similar Threads - Sound stopped working

2. Sound stops working after every Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound stops working after every Windows 10 update: I have checked: update, up to date, sound device drivers, latest is installed. Using Windows 10 Enterprise on an Hp Elite Desk. Why does this keep happening?***moved from Microsoft Edge / All other issues / Windows 10***...
  3. After updating from 10 to 11 Windows, the sound stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After updating from 10 to 11 Windows, the sound stopped working: no sound at all https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-updating-from-10-to-11-windows-the-sound/5067ce20-d0d4-48d5-a825-0401a90617e1
  4. After updating from 10 to 11 Windows, the sound stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After updating from 10 to 11 Windows, the sound stopped working: no sound at all https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-updating-from-10-to-11-windows-the-sound/5067ce20-d0d4-48d5-a825-0401a90617e1
  5. Sound stops working after Windows Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound stops working after Windows Update: I find my sound stops working a Windows Update.Troubleshooter is no use because it just tells me that sound is not installed.I am using a HP Envy laptop running Windows 11. I asked on a HP forum but no simple fix suggested. I just make sure I have a recent System Restore...
  6. Sound stops working after Windows Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound stops working after Windows Update: I find my sound stops working a Windows Update.Troubleshooter is no use because it just tells me that sound is not installed.I am using a HP Envy laptop running Windows 11. I asked on a HP forum but no simple fix suggested. I just make sure I have a recent System Restore...
  7. Sound stopped working on speakers after windowns update????

Sound stopped working on speakers after windowns update????: sound stopped working on sonic studio virtual mixer after windows update? like whattt? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sound-stopped-working-on-speakers-after-windowns/5fb8b92a-9a15-492d-ad63-d160972a16e9
  8. RCA Tablet sound stopped working after one of the windows 10 update

RCA Tablet sound stopped working after one of the windows 10 update: RCA Tablet sound stopped working after one of the windows 10 update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rca-tablet-sound-stopped-working-after-one-of-the/dc568035-ed6f-4c5c-9115-5f8a3c8793bc
  9. HP laptop sound stopped working after the updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HP laptop sound stopped working after the updates: After I down loaded latest updates, the audio stopped working and history of the update showed "failed to install - 0x800705b4 (Realtek Semicoductor Corp - Media. What I should do to resolve this problem...
  10. Sound stopped working after Creative Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Sound stopped working after Creative Update: Hello, I have Windows 10 on my HP TouchSmart Envy, and after updating to the creative update, the sound doesn't work. I am not hearing anything from my speakers. I am not seeing the sound visual up when I am looking at the Volume Mixer. I have the latest drivers for my AMD...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. sound not working with windows 10 update kb4100347