Windows 10: Sound Volume problem when using digital audio (s/pdif) listening devic

Discus and support Sound Volume problem when using digital audio (s/pdif) listening devic in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; No one else has had this problem? I recognize this issue from other people with similar issues. I don't use optical nor digital output so, I can't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by slicendice, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Sound Volume problem when using digital audio (s/pdif) listening devic

I recognize this issue from other people with similar issues. I don't use optical nor digital output so, I can't help much...

I think your driver/audio output is set to passthrough rather than going via some sort of mixer or similar. Please check all audio tools and control panels available from the driver package and Windows built in audio applications that manages sound. Maybe there is a switch in wrong position!?

OH, and another thing...since you are having the problem when you use multi channel audio, I think you are missing the proper codecs.

slicendice, Apr 5, 2018
  2. ShdwKnght Win User

I am having a problem with my sound. Whenever I play a video with A52 or DTS codec, I cannot control the volume with the player or with Windows volume control, other than muting the volume. The sound plays straight through the speakers.Now for a little background:This past weekend I wiped my hard drive that still had Windows 10 build 1511. For the past year and a half, I have not been able to upgrade, and in the past few months have not been getting updates either. I now have 1709. And that is when the volume problem began. I am using the on-board sound (VIA HD). I have used the drivers for VIA and the generic Microsoft drivers. The volume problem occurs with both drivers. I am connected to a VIZIO 5.1 Sound Bar with an Optical Digital Audio Cable. When listening through the sound bar, the playback device is digital audio (s/pdif). When listening through the headphones, I choose the speakers playback device. When listening through the speakers device/headphones, I can control the volume normally. Before reinstalling Windows, I did not have this problem.

:)

ShdwKnght, Apr 25, 2018
  3. divya k1 Win User
    Audio not working

After downloading update "KB4034674", my desktop computer's audio is set default to Digital Output (S/PDIF). My plugged in headphones won't playback sound at all, and when I try to set it as the default audio device it says "Default Communications Device".
    When I select Communications Head[phones as the playback device it automatically goes back to Digital Output, thought my computer does not have speakers so i have no sound. There were some outdated threads that had the same problem but none of those fixes
    seemed to work for me.

divya k1, Apr 25, 2018
  4. Jay Tsai Win User

Sound Volume problem when using digital audio (s/pdif) listening devic

Windows 10 S/PDIF sound output not working properly

My Windows 10 S/PDIF 2-channel PCM output not working(e.g. no sound when playing WMA audio and MP3 on media player and watching Youtube thru browser), but DTS, AC3 output is ok.

Anyone got the same problem like this? I use Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI sound card for coaxial S/PDIF output. And have checked system default output is the S/PDIF port which on Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI sound card.

Jay Tsai, Apr 25, 2018
  5. ShdwKnght Win User
    No one else has had this problem?

ShdwKnght, Apr 26, 2018
Thema:

Sound Volume problem when using digital audio (s/pdif) listening devic

1. Sound Volume problem when using digital audio (s/pdif) listening devic - Similar Threads - Sound Volume problem

2. What is "Digital Audio S/PDIF"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is "Digital Audio S/PDIF"?: Hello I have a question, after I resolved a problem of my PC, I reinstall AMD drivers and after it install it. In "Sound" a playback option called "Digital Audio S/PDIF" appears. What it do? And what thing can do with it?...
  3. What is "Digital Audio S/PDIF"?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is "Digital Audio S/PDIF"?: Hello I have a question, after I resolved a problem of my PC, I reinstall AMD drivers and after it install it. In "Sound" a playback option called "Digital Audio S/PDIF" appears. What it do? And what thing can do with it?...
  4. What is "Digital Audio S/PDIF"?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Digital Audio S/PDIF No Sound - Win 10 Version 21H2 Build 19044.1566

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Digital Audio S/PDIF No Sound - Win 10 Version 21H2 Build 19044.1566: need some advice - tutorial : Before reinstalling windows there is no problem with the Realtek driver on the audio, after reinstalling the problem still persist, Realtek driver and the sound doesn't come out, 1. Already Re-install Various Realtek Driver2. Already Re-Install...
  6. Digital Audio S/PDIF not working on Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Digital Audio S/PDIF not working on Windows 10: Hello,I recently got an HDMI to DVI cable for my Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti for my PC to help with a sound issue. My computer lists "Digital Audio S/PDIF" as an option, saying the driver is just fine and even having the bar that shows that audio is playing is animated as if...
  7. I can't hear sound from "Digital Audio S/PDIF

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I can't hear sound from "Digital Audio S/PDIF: Please someone help me! Since i update windows 10 i can't hear sound. Please anyone can solve this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-hear-sound-from-digital-audio-spdif/9acff193-acba-45e1-ba4e-02989eb86022
  8. My Digital Audio S/PDIF High Definition Audio Device Has Sound But Not As Loud As Other...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My Digital Audio S/PDIF High Definition Audio Device Has Sound But Not As Loud As Other...: Hi everyone, I recently purchased a used PC and it is actually my first PC. For sound I tried to plug my wired headphone to the SKR audio jack; I use Digital Audio S/PDIF High Definition Audio Device as my playback device; It has sound but even after I maxed out the...
  9. Audio device detected as Digital audio S/pdif high definition audio device NO AUDIO

Audio device detected as Digital audio S/pdif high definition audio device NO AUDIO: My audio device used to only be named High quality audio device but after moving to another part of my house I was presented with the new audio name Digital audio S/pdif high definition audio device and now I have no audio...
  10. Output device "Digital Audio S/PDIF" not playing sound out loud

Output device "Digital Audio S/PDIF" not playing sound out loud: My problem is in the title. For more information: I put Windows on an older iMac and therefore this computer has iMac hardware. This version of Windows isn't activated yet. When I click the Volume button (and toy with the Volume %) the device shows audio playing, however, I...