Windows 10: Sound when turning off computer

Discus and support Sound when turning off computer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello Tenforums! Simple question, every time I turn off my computer and the Windows 10 "Shutting Down" window comes up, I get a noise just before it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SomaTGW, May 24, 2016.

1. SomaTGW Win User

Sound when turning off computer

Hello Tenforums!

Simple question, every time I turn off my computer and the Windows 10 "Shutting Down" window comes up, I get a noise just before it fully shuts down, I checked if it was a sound that was set but there's no "shutting off" or "log out" sound, and I THINK It's a Critical Stop sound that comes, but I can't check what it is as the computer is shutting down.

:)

SomaTGW, May 24, 2016

2. welcome sound

I say turn this computer off to Cortana and she turns it off and when I turn it on again I hear the welcome sound but if I switch the computer off with the mouse and turn it on again I do not hear the welcome sound so now I only ask Cortana to turn the
    computer off.

johnben_728, May 24, 2016
  3. Herlion Win User
    Setting Volume to off when I shut down

Thank you for your reply. I should have rephrased my question. How do I set Windows 10 to automatically turn off the speaker sound when I shut down the computer? You see, I work late at night, sometimes past 2:00 AM. If the sound is turned on, it wakes
    up my wife. I always seem to forget to turn off the sound before turning off the computer. Thanks again for your help!

Herlion, May 24, 2016
  4. AndreTen Win User

Check in the Event viewer. All kernel stop and boot events are documented in System log. How to analyze them is different story.

AndreTen, May 24, 2016
  5. SomaTGW Win User
    I found some event logs around when I turned off the PC once, but all there is, is initiating shutdown, and the shutdown time finished. Did however find some peculiar errors another shutdown time.

SomaTGW, May 25, 2016
  6. AndreTen Win User
    If you want to see possible error (Blue screen) at shutdown, you have to disable automatic restart at errors.

YOu can do this in Control panel / Advance system settings / System properties / Startup and recovery tab.

See, if you have this selection checked (below in the picture). After that you can eliminate possible error at shutdown. If blue screen occurs, you can ask in BSOD section, or if there isn't any BSOD, we can try to find what else is causing this sound.

AndreTen, May 25, 2016
  7. mrmike Win User
    When I shut down I get a pop up that tells me a certain application had failed to close, that quickly disappears. Maybe something similar is happening to you. One thing you could do is try manually end all/most running processes (that are not Windows) before shutting down to determine if it is indeed an app that is not closing in time.

mrmike, May 25, 2016
  8. SomaTGW Win User

I get it even if I do that, close all apps before I shut down.

SomaTGW, May 26, 2016
  9. AndreTen Win User
    From my point of view, you have to find answers to at least two questions:
    - is anything crashing at shutdown (or sleep, or logout)
    - how to stop that sound.

To find out if anything is crashing and event viewer isn't enough, you can try NirSoft utility Blue Screen View (also look at related utilities at the beggining of page), or Resplendence Who Crashed.

For troubleshooting sounds in Windows 10, follow Brink's tutorial, or just change the Theme you are using.

AndreTen, May 26, 2016
  10. SomaTGW Win User
    I will do that once I'm home and come back, thank you.

SomaTGW, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Sound when turning off computer - Similar Threads - Sound turning off

2. Sound turns off when computer wakes up or starts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound turns off when computer wakes up or starts: All of a sudden, every time I start up my computer or it wakes up from sleep mode, the sound is turned off. I didn't change any settings. This just started yesterday....
  3. Sound turns off when computer wakes up or starts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound turns off when computer wakes up or starts: All of a sudden, every time I start up my computer or it wakes up from sleep mode, the sound is turned off. I didn't change any settings. This just started yesterday....
  4. How to turn off sound when computer is on sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to turn off sound when computer is on sleep mode: Hi, can someone help how to turn off the sound, I mean here exactly for radio which is running on Chome, when the computer is on sleep mode, for Windows 10.The computer goes to sleep but the radio keeps playing and it is annoying.If anyone can help would be great....
  5. How to turn off sound when computer is on sleep mode

How to turn off sound when computer is on sleep mode: Hi, can someone help how to turn off the sound, I mean here exactly for radio which is running on Chome, when the computer is on sleep mode, for Windows 10.The computer goes to sleep but the radio keeps playing and it is annoying.If anyone can help would be great....
  6. How to turn off sound when computer is on sleep mode

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Sound mutes itself when you turn off computer at night.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound mutes itself when you turn off computer at night.: I have had this problem for some time. Carlo has worked with me and requested the make of my computer however I could not figure out how to get it to him and got disconnected. The speakers shut down when you turn the computer off at night. The trouble shooter fixes them when...
  8. Sound mutes itself when you turn off computer at night.

Sound mutes itself when you turn off computer at night.: I have had this problem for some time. Carlo has worked with me and requested the make of my computer however I could not figure out how to get it to him and got disconnected. The speakers shut down when you turn the computer off at night. The trouble shooter fixes them when...
  9. Sound mutes itself when you turn off computer at night.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. BSOD when turning computer off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when turning computer off: Whenever i click "shut down" on my computer, it restarts and creates a minidump file. Here is the file. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ssv5TbnazH33sZ69wbnsIOhFxo7TPHwc/view?usp=sharingAny idea on whats causing this? This is the second day in a row it has happened, i have...