Windows 10: Sound won't come back after muting

Discus and support Sound won't come back after muting in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; That's a problem I've been having for as long as I can remember, and now I thought maybe someone here might help. So whenever I mute my sound... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mast3r, Nov 20, 2015.

1. mast3r Win User

Sound won't come back after muting

That's a problem I've been having for as long as I can remember, and now I thought maybe someone here might help.

So whenever I mute my sound (either using media key on keyboard, or clicking the speaker icon on the system bar and the other one to the left of the slider, or dragging the slider all the way to the left), I'm not able to unmute it (the muted icon goes away, the actual sound doesn't come back).

Tried running the troubleshooter (finds nothing), restarting audio services (didn't change anything), reinstalling audio drivers (using the one from Realtek's site, 6.0.1.7541 x64), not sure what else there is to try. Only a computer restart helps.

:)

mast3r, Nov 20, 2015

2. Sound won't come back after muting while jack is plugged

Non of the solutions works except this:

"Open Device Manager, right-click (or tap and hold) your audio driver >
    Update driver software... >
    Browse my computer for driver software >
    Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer,
    select High Definition Audio Device,
    select Next,
    and follow the instructions to install it."

Thank you Ramon!!

Saulius (Saul), Nov 20, 2015
  3. Sound won't come back after muting while jack is plugged

Hello guys,

I have lenovo Y50 and what's the problem that I've been having for as long as I can remember, and now I thought maybe someone here might help.

So whenever I mute my sound (either using media key on keyboard, or clicking the speaker icon on the system bar and the other one to the left of the slider, or dragging the slider all the way to the left), I'm not able to unmute it (the muted icon
    goes away, the actual sound doesn't come back).

Tried running the troubleshooter (finds nothing), restarting audio services (didn't change anything), reinstalling audio drivers (using the one from Realtek's site, 6.0.1.7525 x64), not sure what else there is to try. Only a computer restart helps.

Saulius (Saul), Nov 20, 2015
  4. Sound won't come back after muting

This could be a hardware problem based on the information you've provided. Does sound play through earphones/speakers, or another kind of external audio device? If so, your speakers themselves may not be functioning properly.

JTechnology, Nov 20, 2015
  5. mast3r Win User
    Okay, so that's interesting. I somehow didn't think about trying switching output devices. I'm on a laptop and most of the time I'm using a headset.

Here's how it is: apparently using the laptop's speakers when muting/unmuting works fine. Now if I have muted at least once (doesn't matter if it was done with laptop speakers or with an external device - tried with a headset and a pair of external speakers), there's no sound after plugging in an external audio device (as mentioned, tried a headset and speakers). Again, if unplugged, the sound works fine through the laptops speakers.

Might be a problem with the audio jack? Though I believe the muting function is interpreted solely on the OS side.

mast3r, Nov 20, 2015
  6. That may make the problem a lot easier to solve. In control panel, go to Manage Audio Devices. In the playback tab, you should see your headset. If you do not, there could be a problem with the device recognition or connection to the computer. Make sure that your headset is the default playback device. You can do this by clicking your headset in the display and pressing the set default in the bottom right of the screen. Hopefully this will make it work.

7. mast3r Win User
    Nah, that would be too easy *Biggrin
    The device always gets recognised properly (I mean, it doesn't say "headphones", the icon and the name are always the same 'Speakers", but it's always the default one in the playback tab and it controls the currently active device). If I plug my headset, the laptop speakers become silent and the sound is coming through the headset. If I unplug it, it's back to the laptop. Everything works perfectly until I try to set the sound to 0/mute. Only then if I plug an external device, there's no sound at all from any source.

mast3r, Nov 20, 2015
  8. Sound won't come back after muting

So you're saying that the headset works fine UNTIL you mute it and can no longer unmute it? Make sure you have the correct audio driver installed. It sounds like a confusing issue. I found a similar thread that may help:
    Solved No sound from speaker/headphones, can't find any errors.
    Hopefully something on here helps

9. mast3r Win User
    Yep, that. Thanks for the link, will see if that helps.

mast3r, Nov 20, 2015
  10. mast3r Win User
    Update: after looking through the thread I went to Device Manager and tried disabling and re-enabling "Realtek High Definition Audio" under "Sound, video, and game controllers" (before that I've only tried disabling it under "Audio inputs and outputs"). So after re-enabling it, the sound can be heard again.

Still not sure what's the problem, but at least this fix doesn't required computer restart.

mast3r, Nov 20, 2015
  11. 711jay Win User
    i have exactly the same problem since last 2 days with my 2 year old LENEVO FLEX 2.
    it was working perfectly fine till now.
    Dont know what's wrong since 2 days, sounds goes away from the headphones after i mute it once and doesn't come back in the headphones.
    It's always there in my laptop speakers but not in my headphones after i mute it even once.
    Only way to get it back is to restart the system.

Tried disabling and re-enabling the drivers as you said but its not helping.

711jay, Jul 24, 2016
  12. covame Win User
    I have the same problem with a Lenovo Y50

What works in my case is disabling and enabling the High Definition Audio Controller under System Devices in the Device Manager. Hope this works for you.

covame, Jul 29, 2016
  13. Sound won't come back after muting

i have exactly the same problem, and i solved it by downgrading my Realtek HD Audio driver to an older version R2.75

lounes2007, Dec 27, 2016
  14. RMan75 Win User
    Same problem. No sound after mute, but a reboot brings it back. Not always like this but only for the past 6 months. Not sure how to fix or what to re-install.

W10 on Lenovo laptop. Realtek sound.

RMan75, Jan 5, 2017
  15. Does this actually work? Did anyone else check. I've exact same problem but I'm sick of restarting laptop or audio drivers every time.

ankitwasnik, Feb 8, 2017
Thema:

Sound won't come back after muting

1. Sound won't come back after muting - Similar Threads - Sound won't muting

2. Touchscreen driver disappeared and won't come back :

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touchscreen driver disappeared and won't come back :: A while back, the touchscreen on my laptop HP Envy x360 running Windows 11 stopped working. I didn't notice right away, so I'm not sure what caused the issue. I was away from home at the time, so I was having trouble getting it fixed. I chatted with HP support, and we tried...
  3. Screen won't come back on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen won't come back on: I recently set my screen to turn off after 3 minutes as per the energy recomendations. I now find that the computer / screen wont come back about 1 in 5 times requiring a hold off the power button to turn off the computer then power back on. Which of course I lose anything I...
  4. Screen won't come back on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen won't come back on: I recently set my screen to turn off after 3 minutes as per the energy recomendations. I now find that the computer / screen wont come back about 1 in 5 times requiring a hold off the power button to turn off the computer then power back on. Which of course I lose anything I...
  5. Storage Space - Won't come back online

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Space - Won't come back online: I had some issues replacing a smaller physical disk with a larger disk and now the Storage Space won't come back online.I attempt using the Storage Space GUI and it goes through the process with no error message displayed. It just comes back with "Bring Online" clickable.When...
  6. Sound icon disappears and does not come come back

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sound icon disappears and does not come come back: It seems there is space the task bar for a icon, but it isn't there. network icon hides when volume icon is off. I tried restart several times, no luck....
  7. Sound stops, but comes back after a sound problems "quick scan"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound stops, but comes back after a sound problems "quick scan": I've suddenly started getting a very annoying problem: I get no sound from my speakers. In Sound Settings, the output device is correctly set, and in the Volume Mixer all devices/applications are set to maximum volume, as is the speaker icon in the system tray. If I elect to...
  8. display won't come back on

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    display won't come back on: On my Windows 10 laptop Acer Aspire E5, I have the screen display set to turn off after 10 minutes of no activity. When this happens, I cannot get it to turn back on my typical means like moving the mouse. The only way to do it is to do a restart. This shouldn't happen. Any...
  9. thumbnails are gone and won't come back

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    thumbnails are gone and won't come back: I have tried all of the solution I could find, and I cannot get my thumbnails back. Now what do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thumbnails-are-gone-and-wont-come-back/1e0472b0-9925-4954-b3c9-488bd3702418
  10. mute the sound

in Windows 10 Customization
    mute the sound: Previously I would click on the speaker in the task bar and be able to mute or unmute the sound. This is no longer working and I can't seem to change it in the settings. Any advice...