Windows 10: Source to use for DISM on Windows 10

Discus and support Source to use for DISM on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a Lenovo W530 laptop, that started with Windows 7 Pro, then got upgraded to Windows 8, then 8.1, and now 10 Pro. I have the factory setup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by MikeLenovo530, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Source to use for DISM on Windows 10

I have a Lenovo W530 laptop, that started with Windows 7 Pro, then got upgraded to Windows 8, then 8.1, and now 10 Pro.

I have the factory setup disks for only 7 and 8.

I ran DISM and it says the source files could not be found. From a similar problem several months ago, I sort of know how to work with DISM, but if it is looking for Windows 10 files, where would I point DISM ?

My next step is to use the log files, and attempt to find which files are corrupted.

:)

MikeLenovo530, Sep 10, 2015

2. DISM issue... error Use the source option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature...

Hello Loy,

We appreciate your efforts and patience in getting back to us with your response and we apologies for delay in responding.

As I see that you haven't mentioned performing Check Disk, I kindly suggest you to try performing check disk which I have provided you with the steps in the earlier post. If the issue still persists, then it means your registry got changed or corrupted.
    In this case let's try performing Start up repair:

Step 1:

I would suggest you to download an ISO image of Windows 10 and try to create installation media using the Media Creation tool.

Download Windows 10

Installation Media tool:

Windows 10 herunterladen

Once the bootable media is created, follow next step:

Step 2: Perform Start up Repair.

Follow the steps mentioned below to perform Start up Repair:

a. Insert the installation DVD or
    USB
    and boot Windows 10 from it.

b. Select “Troubleshooting” from the first Window and then select “Advance Options”.

c. Then select “Automatic Repair” from “Advanced options” window.

Keep us updated on the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Sep 10, 2015
  3. LoyBanks Win User
    DISM issue... error Use the source option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature...

I just ran once again the two(2) DISM cmd lines. The first, as before, told me it was repairable.

But I must know where the the location is of the "Source Files". Without the source location the second DISM will not complete complete its mission.

So I need to know what should I put into the DISM second command line for the source files? I'm completely stupid where this is concerned. Brings me back to the old DOS! Can you help me with this?

Here is the second command line...What do I put into this command line to properly access the source files, so I can complete this second command?

DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

LoyBanks, Sep 10, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

Source to use for DISM on Windows 10

5. Thanks for the quick reply. One option is to take your third suggestion, burn that to a DVD, point DISM to the DVD, and run it.

Can I somehow just point DISM at a Microsoft.com location and run it that way? That would be a simpler way, if I didn't have a windows DVD available.

Just to confirm, DISM is only looking for Microsoft files, not manufacturer files (in my case, Lenovo), right?

6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Mount the Windows 10 ISO and copy the big 3+ gb install.wim file from the Sources directory. Some people make a separate partition for this. Then point DISM to the install.wim file:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wimSource to use for DISM on Windows 10 :D:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

Replace the portion in red with the path to where you copy install.wim to.

NavyLCDR, Sep 10, 2015
  7. I think I'm missing something.
    Download the ISO - fine.
    Burn a DVD - fine.

But I don't understand what I am to copy - don't I just point DISM to the DVD ?

8. NavyLCDR New Member

In a previous post you asked, "Can I somehow just point DISM at a Microsoft.com location and run it that way? That would be a simpler way, if I didn't have a windows DVD available. "

The source DISM uses is the install.wim file. You now have that install.wim file on the DVD you created in the sources directory of that DVD. You can point DISM to install.wim on the DVD - OR - you can copy that install.wim file to wherever you want and point DISM to wherever you copy it. If you want it to be available without having the DVD then copy install.wim to your computer somewhere and point DISM to where it is at on your computer. If you have an external hard drive you use for backups then copy the install.wim file to the external hard drive and point DISM to that.

As far as I know, there is no location on a Microsoft website that you can point DISM to.

NavyLCDR, Sep 11, 2015
  9. I created the DVD, am traveling now, and will try it out later today.

I tried to find out the specific problem, as I went through the log file, but couldn't find it while searching for "corrupt". Is there a web link that explains how to analyze the log file?

MikeLenovo530, Sep 12, 2015
  10. ColinPM Win User
    I think the last parameter should be /limitaccess with 2 letters c

ColinPM, Sep 16, 2015
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Umm. yep, probably Source to use for DISM on Windows 10 :) Thank you!

NavyLCDR, Sep 16, 2015
  12. I have the DVD with me, but haven't had a chance to do this yet. Maybe tomorrow.

I assume I have to do the "scanhealth" before doing "restorehealth", right?

MikeLenovo530, Sep 17, 2015
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Nope. restorehealth scans to see what needs to be restored.

NavyLCDR, Sep 17, 2015
  14. Chkdsk was not needed as windows had found no errors
    I ran sfc /scannow in an elevated command prompt with the result
    Corrupted files found but cannot repair
    reading CBS.log I found 4 cases of cannot repair al of which contained the similar detail at
    000033ba
    000053b5
    000053b8
    all referring to DataOracleClientPerfCounters.......hashmismatch
    I have been have similar problems, here is a resume of what has happens so far.
    The reason for trying to repair is that in spite of following procedures I cannot get AutoPlay to work on this machine which was updated from W7 Pro using Windows update. I had even worse problems with a W7 laptop which I had to revert to W7 and then upgraded using a W10 disc, that now performs perfectly.
    I ran DISM /online /Cleanup-image /scanhealth
    which said repairable
    I then ran restorehealh on it's own and /source:wim:e:\sources\install.wim:1 and the same with/limitaccess

All returned the error cannot find source file although I had checked that te file was there on the Windows 10 disc created from an ISO file
    After reading "configure a Windows repair Source" I looked at Group policy but within Computer configuration\administrative templates\system Specify setting for optional component installation and component repair did not exist but specify Windows Installation file did and is not configured

I do wish that I had reverted to 7 in the allowable time and used a disc to upgrade instead of windows update there are no problems on machines where I used this method

As a matter of interest I do have a Windows old file on a clone of my C drive, can I copy this back and revert even though the month has passed?

I have in the past completed a Windows 7 install which did not affect existing data & programs, if I recall by using "Upgrade" does anyone know if this is available for Windows 10?

Albyefield, Sep 18, 2015
  15. Albyefield, it's better if you create your own thread so questions and answers don't get confused.

I think you're looking for this option though, try it and if it doesn't help, open a new thread of your own - thanks.

Refresh Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Slartybart, Sep 19, 2015
Thema:

1. Source to use for DISM on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Source DISM

2. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command says "Error: 0x800f0906 The Source...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command says "Error: 0x800f0906 The Source...: Hello Everyone,My name is Abhishek, and I found Error while Execution of below command and I used cmd prompt as Run as Admin.DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealthFirst of all, I wanted to Execute the above command because , recently I got an Bluetooth Error in my Windows...
  3. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command says "Error: 0x800f0906 The Source...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command says "Error: 0x800f0906 The Source...: Hello Everyone,My name is Abhishek, and I found Error while Execution of below command and I used cmd prompt as Run as Admin.DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealthFirst of all, I wanted to Execute the above command because , recently I got an Bluetooth Error in my Windows...
  4. DISM refuses to complete RestoreHealth even with a valid source.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DISM refuses to complete RestoreHealth even with a valid source.: Have tried all suggested methods from various sources.. Start with DISM /ScanHealth command which completed and returned a 'repairable' result, and then tried the /RestoreHealth, which had the error 0x800f081f source not found.Then performed the DISM command...
  5. DISM refuses to complete RestoreHealth even with a valid source.

DISM refuses to complete RestoreHealth even with a valid source.: Have tried all suggested methods from various sources.. Start with DISM /ScanHealth command which completed and returned a 'repairable' result, and then tried the /RestoreHealth, which had the error 0x800f081f source not found.Then performed the DISM command...
  6. DISM refuses to complete RestoreHealth even with a valid source.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. DISM source files could not be found error - tried EVERYTHING

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DISM source files could not be found error - tried EVERYTHING: Trying to run C:>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealthAlways returnsError: 0x800f081f> The source files could not be found.> Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the featureTried all suggestions I could find online....
  8. DISM source files could not be found error - tried EVERYTHING

DISM source files could not be found error - tried EVERYTHING: Trying to run C:>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealthAlways returnsError: 0x800f081f> The source files could not be found.> Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the featureTried all suggestions I could find online....
  9. Guys, dism issue Source file could not be found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Guys, dism issue Source file could not be found: 0x800f081f - Error Code.I ran: Dism /online /cleanup-image /RestoreHealthIt says source file couldn't be found.Please help...When I ran:Dism /online /cleanup-image /Checkhealth It says Repairable component.Guys, I'm afraid why it shown and how to fix it. I thought to run it...
  10. Guys, dism issue Source file could not be found

Guys, dism issue Source file could not be found: 0x800f081f - Error Code.I ran: Dism /online /cleanup-image /RestoreHealthIt says source file couldn't be found.Please help...When I ran:Dism /online /cleanup-image /Checkhealth It says Repairable component.Guys, I'm afraid why it shown and how to fix it. I thought to run it...