Windows 10: Speaker/sound issue following 1709 upgrade

Discus and support Speaker/sound issue following 1709 upgrade in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; , Many thanks for your help. I'll pursue the leads you have turned up for me, and I'll circle back and let you know when I get it sorted! Thanks... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tomseys, Apr 5, 2018.

1. tomseys Win User

Speaker/sound issue following 1709 upgrade

No problem - good luck!

tomseys, Apr 5, 2018
  2. MitchK999 Win User

I managed to do the 1709 upgrade, but now I get no sound, either Windows alert sounds or from (eg) Media Player/Chrome.

I've installing/uninstalling the various sound devices, updating drivers (says mine are the latest/most suitable) and get nowhere. When something is playing, if you you look at the speaker in "Playback Devices" the green level bar is moving up and down, as if it actually is playing, but there is no sound, irrespective of where you have the sound levels on the speaker or the program that's playing. It also applies to headphones - no sound there either. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

:)

MitchK999, Apr 7, 2018
  3. AquaBean Win User
    Terrible Sound Quality After Windows 10 Update

Built-in speaker. I haven't added any external pieces. The sound, as I mentioned, seems to be emitted as if it's coming from the mic rather than the speakers as I explained.

As for the build, it's Version 1709 Build 16299.64

AquaBean, Apr 7, 2018
  4. ACWClaude Win User

No Speaker Sound following W10 free upgrade

I just upgraded via the free upgrade option to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1. Notebook running all intel hardware, an older Verified by Intel notebook. The upgrade seems to have completed successfully but I have no sound from notebook speakers. Volume
    is set at 80% and the new W10 troubleshooter did not detect any issues. I am going to check for later W10 updates and see if there is any improvement. Claude

ACWClaude, Apr 7, 2018
  5. See if you have Realtek audio manager, in notification area (systray). Check settings within it, especially output port.

Caledon Ken, Apr 7, 2018
  6. EdTittel Win User
    EdTittel, Apr 7, 2018
  7. MitchK999 Win User
    Thanks guys, I have the Realtek I2S audio codec. System says it's working properly when viewed via device manager. Driver date is august 2015, but trying several times to update it, it tells me I have the best/most recent driver. No mention of ports for this in the properties menu.

MitchK999, Apr 7, 2018
  8. Speaker/sound issue following 1709 upgrade

What sound device is installed in you rdevice. If Realtek you need to open the Realtek HD Audio Manager.

Caledon Ken, Apr 8, 2018
  9. tomseys Win User
    If you have a Realtek HD audio manager, you should be able to find it in: Control Panel/Hardware and Sound...and then scroll down usually its sitting on the bottom.

It might also be listed in the start menu/your apps list - in my case it is called HP audio control

You might be able to find it in task manager/startup (might be disabled)

If you right click the speaker icon in the system tray and choose open volume meter, make sure nothing is muted and the sound is up on the slider in general. There is also a troubleshoot sound problems there you could try.

tomseys, Apr 8, 2018
  10. MitchK999 Win User
    Hi, thanks all!

The only thing present in Control Panel>Hardware and Sound is "Intel SST Audio Device" - nothing else present at all. Can't find anything in Task Manager Processes, Startup or Services.

I've tried the Troubleshoot several times - all it will tell me is that there is a generic audio issue (I think I'd figured some audio issue was going on myself!). I've found I have a similar problem with the SD card slot - it can't/won't recognise any SD card, even though the cards read perfectly in the plug-in card adaptor that goes via the USB port. Perplexing!

MitchK999, Apr 8, 2018
  11. tomseys Win User
    How about go to your computer manufacturers site and look up your specific model and from there download the Realtek Audio driver it has there for it (which may be older and different than whatever you have now) and install it and see how that goes. I think when you install it it will uninstall whatever you have there now and replace it with the model specific/suggested one with a restart or two.

I think I've read that sometimes audio managers are kept in the "multimedia" section of a list of drivers available for a model.

yeah mine mentions a generic driver too when I've done that..

tomseys, Apr 8, 2018
  12. MitchK999 Win User
    I've got the latest/only audio driver for my make and model from the Acer website, but there is no device to install it to - there is no HD Audio Manager.

MitchK999, Apr 8, 2018
  13. tomseys Win User

tomseys, Apr 8, 2018
  14. MitchK999 Win User
    Tomseys,

I've downloaded the Realtek HD audio, run the install twice with no effect.

Regarding the steps suggested above, yes.
    Issues as I've gone along are: (sorry for big bits of quoted test)

"try using the generic audio driver that comes with Windows. Here's how:
    Open Device Manager, right-click (or press and hold) your audio driver > Update driver software... > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer, select High Definition Audio Device, select Next, and follow the instructions to install"

There is NO HD audio device present to select.

"
    Open Start,enter Sound, select it from the list of results. On the Playback tab, select a device, then Set Default."

The only thing I can get to here is to the control panel which takes me straight to the speakers, (Intel SST audio device WDM). There's no "Sound" in the Start section.

"On the Playback tab, right-click (or press and hold) the Default Device, and then selectProperties. On the Advanced tab, under Default Format, change the setting, and then retest your audio device. If that doesn't work, try changing the setting again."

The default format pulldown is greyed out - you can't change it. Its set at 16bit, 48000Hz

Do these missing/unchangeable bits shed any light?

MitchK999, Apr 9, 2018
  15. tomseys Win User
    What's your exact model Acer laptop/computer? What's the sound card on it?

Wish I could be more help. This is one problem I have never experienced. Maybe someone else here can help guide you to a fix with this.

tomseys, Apr 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Speaker/sound issue following 1709 upgrade - Similar Threads - Speaker sound issue

2. Issue with sound from speakers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue with sound from speakers: My laptop is having a hiccup right now. It won't play sound now during the time of this post but when I restart it, it plays sound no problem. Well, until I log off of my laptop and close it, then when I log back on, absolutely NO SOUND is coming from the laptop speakers. Is...
  3. Issue with sound from speakers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issue with sound from speakers: My laptop is having a hiccup right now. It won't play sound now during the time of this post but when I restart it, it plays sound no problem. Well, until I log off of my laptop and close it, then when I log back on, absolutely NO SOUND is coming from the laptop speakers. Is...
  4. Issue with sound from speakers

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Laptop speaker having sound issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop speaker having sound issue: Split from this thread. hello sir i have issue with my speaker of laptop having pop up sound issue.plz help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-speaker-having-sound-issue/4f671d48-fe59-4a23-85e8-a06d2dc8c50e
  6. speaker/sound issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    speaker/sound issues: have tried everything i can think of settings, troubleshooting, tests, technical advice, etc and im usually able to figure these type of issues on my own but this one has me stumped - thanks so much - sorry for the general info but i am easy to direct so any help is...
  7. Issue with External Speakers/sound

Issue with External Speakers/sound: I updated Windows 10 today and lost the External speakers and sound on my desktop computer. I have plugged in and unplugged in my external speakers and the computer does not recognize them. Everything was working prior to the Windows 10 update. Any suggests on how to fix?...
  8. Upgrading from 1709 Migration Issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from 1709 Migration Issues: Greetings! I have been tasked with upgrading my Org from Windows 10 1709 to 1903 and have been running into some issues. When upgrading a machine from 1709 to any newer build 1803,1809,1903,1909 I get a huge 600MB+ setupact.log file and a setuperr.log file full of issues...
  9. Upgrading from 1709

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from 1709: I just removed an old HP Laptop with W10 ver 1709 from the closet and tried to update it to 1903. The process failed according to Update History and the machine is still at 1709. Repeated attempts yield the same thing. Is there something I can do to get to 1903 and keep my...
  10. HP Pavilion X2 upgrade to 1709 - no sound

HP Pavilion X2 upgrade to 1709 - no sound: I eventually got my detachable laptop to upgrade to Fall Creator, and was very pleased, then noticed that when I received notifications there was no sound, checked all the usual suspects, volume, system sounds, drivers, etc even plugged a headset in, no sound. Using the HP...