Windows 10: Speakers don't work but headphones work

Discus and support Speakers don't work but headphones work in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I decided to update my audio drive so i went to the Lenovo website and installed the windows 10 (64 bit) driver, after restarting I noticed that there... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by FourFeatures, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Speakers don't work but headphones work

I decided to update my audio drive so i went to the Lenovo website and installed the windows 10 (64 bit) driver, after restarting I noticed that there was no volume at all, i tried the Windows 8.1 driver and now only my headphones work. I also noticed in playback devices only the speakers are listed even when headphone are plugged in.

:)

FourFeatures, Apr 29, 2016

2. Speakers work, but headphones don't.

Hi Alexander,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We understand the inconvenience caused and will assist you.

I suggest you to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter by following the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Click on the Start button, type “Troubleshooting” and press Enter.
    • Click on View All, then click on “Hardware and Devices”.
    • A pop-up will appear, click on the “Next” button and your hardware troubleshooting will start.

If the issue still persists, refer the link below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/fix-sound-problems#v1h=tab01

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Apr 29, 2016
  3. Speakers work, but headphones don't.

Alright, so when I plug in my headphones to the computer, they work fine, but when I restart or shut down and start later, they don't work, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. So basically my headphones doesn't work but my speakers does, and I have
    a Lenovo laptop and they don't need any driver or so. But later on I went on to the Control panel and I found a Sound tab there and I looked into there, so when I was playing a music on my laptop, the sound meter didn't show anything, so I suppose my headphones
    mute the sound and I need some help. I have some kind of red headset without microphone and I got it without the box whitch tells what name it has.

Alexander27YK, Apr 29, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Speakers don't work but headphones work

Hello, drivers are maintained by Uncle MS in Win 10. Only in special cases - where there is an evident problem and changing the driver solves it- should you update or change the drivers - and if you do so, Uncle MS will fairly quickly replace them unless you take special action (see Tutorial section).

Was there any reason to update your driver?

Now, do you have any useful system restore points? Note: System Restore is off by default in Win 10, so unless you turned it on, you won't.

Could you please complete your system specs? Thanks!
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums - Windows 10 Forums

What happens if you right click the volume icon, and click Troubleshooting?
    Are you referring to the speakers built in to your laptop?

dalchina, Apr 30, 2016
  5. I updated because the right side of any headphone I insert wouldn't work and the problem still occurs.

I don't have any restore points.

After troubleshooting this is appearing
    Speakers don't work but headphones work [​IMG]

And yes I am referring to the built in speakers.

FourFeatures, Apr 30, 2016
  6. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    How are you installing the new driver?
    Are you uninstalling the old driver (device) first and then installing the new driver?

7. No I didn't uninstall the previous one, I just ran the installer.

FourFeatures, Apr 30, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Can you check the balance setting (if you have one)?

dalchina, Apr 30, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Try checking Windows update- see if it replaces your driver.

dalchina, Apr 30, 2016
  10. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Try this (clean install driver):
    • Go into Device Manager > select your audio device > Uninstall. When asked to remove the driver also, do so.
    • Restart the PC.
    • Check to see if the Audio Device is listed with an exclamation point - indication it has no driver.
    • Then install the most current driver package and test.

If the audio device is reinstalled with a working driver you may have to try a different method, as Windows is automatically installing a driver.
    But test the sound anyway before proceeding.

11. Which one of these two should I uninstall?

FourFeatures, May 1, 2016
  12. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    The bottom one, under Sound, video, and game controllers.
    The other one (two) will disappear along with it until you install the driver.

13. TV2
    TV2 Win User

It might be interesting/helpful, before you do the clean driver install, to check and see if there are duplicate or phantom sound devices showing up in your system.

Just go into Device Manager and go to the View Menu, the check "Show Hidden Devices".
    If there are duplicate sound devices you will see them now.

Let us know what you find.

14. No duplicate under "Sounds,video & games controllers"
    But I did find this under "Audio Inputs & Outputs".

FourFeatures, May 2, 2016
  15. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    So there is no obvious double audio device that would point towards a driver conflict, but the multiple instances of I/O devices might.

Completely removing the device and all previous drivers, then install the new driver clean will clear that up if it is the case here.

Thema:

1. Speakers don't work but headphones work - Similar Threads - Speakers don't headphones

2. bluetooth speaker or headphone is not working!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bluetooth speaker or headphone is not working!: when my Bluetooth speaker is connected to my laptop there is no sound coming trough it and windows host process rundll32 is also using microphone...
  3. bluetooth speaker or headphone is not working!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    bluetooth speaker or headphone is not working!: when my Bluetooth speaker is connected to my laptop there is no sound coming trough it and windows host process rundll32 is also using microphone...
  4. Speakers don't work well.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Speakers don't work well.: Sometimes sounds don't pass on my speaker but only on my monitor. But speakers is plugged well. What should i do??? I already replugged my speaker from inlet of my cpu to outlet on extension....
  5. No sound on speaker, but on headphone is worked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No sound on speaker, but on headphone is worked: Hello,So last week I go to a computer repair service to replace my laptop's keyboard my laptop still on Windows 10. When I take it back, I noticed that the computer can't automatically switch between speaker and headphone. I bring my laptop again to them and they tried to do...
  6. No sound on speaker, but on headphone is worked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No sound on speaker, but on headphone is worked: Hello,So last week I go to a computer repair service to replace my laptop's keyboard my laptop still on Windows 10. When I take it back, I noticed that the computer can't automatically switch between speaker and headphone. I bring my laptop again to them and they tried to do...
  7. Headphones working but speakers are not working.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Headphones working but speakers are not working.: So as of this morning I have a new problem. My headphones work just fine, but my speakers aren't working at all. Everything I've checked says that it's working properly, but no sound from the speakers. They were working last night when I put the computer to sleep. I...
  8. Microphone and speakers don't work but headphones do

Microphone and speakers don't work but headphones do: I'm using HP Spectre x360, Windows 10 Home ver 2004 build 19041.329. My built-in speakers and microphone are not working after system update, although there is sound when using headphones. Microphone works occasionally, but most of the time it doesn't. I tried reinstalling...
  9. HeadPhones don't work

HeadPhones don't work: So last time I Disabled the head phones in the Sound>Playback device list and after that I couldn't see them on this list anymore (Even when checking Show Disabled Devices) I already tried Updating the Driver in Device Manager>Sound,Video and Game...
  10. internal speakers and headphones not working

internal speakers and headphones not working: Hello everyone I upgraded to windows 10 yesterday, and since i did my internal speakers and my headphones are not working anymore. I have a microphone called blue yeti wich can be used as an output. It's the only output that works for me. If i go to the audio output...