Windows 10: Speakers playing when headphones are plugged in

Discus and support Speakers playing when headphones are plugged in in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an HP laptop with windows 10. When my headphones are plugged in, the speakers are still playing. When I go to sounds, the only device listed is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by txstoby, Nov 6, 2017.

1. txstoby Win User

Speakers playing when headphones are plugged in

I have an HP laptop with windows 10. When my headphones are plugged in, the speakers are still playing. When I go to sounds, the only device listed is the speakers. How can I silence the speakers when the headphones are plugged in.

:)

txstoby, Nov 6, 2017

2. Speakers keep playing when headphones are plugged in

(I have seen this issue posted for Win7 and 8, not for 10).

Using Windows 10 on a Toshiba Satellite A500-14Q. Internal speakers work fine. When I plug in external speakers or headphones (front left jack) internal speakers keep playing as the other device plays.

The troubleshooter sees no issues - not with devices nor with the driver.

How can one sort this out?

Thanks.

demonof the fall, Nov 6, 2017
  3. Speakers keep playing when headphones are plugged in

Hi,

Change the default playback device for audio and check if it helps. To do it,
    Right Click on the Volume icon and select Playback Devices. There you should be able to select Headphones and External Speakers.

You may also try updating the audio drivers and check. In case it still does not work, then I suggest you to download Windows 10 Audio drivers from the manufacturer's website and install them. If Windows 10 drivers
    are unavailable, I suggest that you download and install the Windows 7/8 drivers from the manufacturer's website using compatibility mode as mentioned in the following article and check:

How to: Install and Update
    drivers in Windows 10

Get back to us for further assistance regarding this issue.

Sharath Srinivasa, Nov 6, 2017
  4. CountMike New Member

That would be function of your CODEC chip driver, which CODEC chip (sound chip) does your laptop has ? Do you hear sound from headphones at same time ?

CountMike, Nov 6, 2017
  5. txstoby Win User
    I do not know which chip that I have. How can I find out? Yes, sound comes from my headphones and from the speakers at the same time. One more thing, when I go to control panel and manage devices, the only device that shows up is the speakers.

txstoby, Nov 6, 2017
  6. CountMike New Member
    Which exact model is that laptop ?

CountMike, Nov 6, 2017
  7. Josey Wales, Nov 6, 2017
  8. txstoby Win User

In the past, every time I plugged in my headphones, the speakers would automatically stop playing. I did not change anything, but now the headphones and speakers play at the same time.

txstoby, Nov 6, 2017
  9. fireberd Win User
    There are many different models of the HP15. Exact model, please.

If you have Realtek audio, most of the Realtek HD Audio Managers have an option to either turn off speakers when a headset is plugged in or do not turn off the speakers.

Run the free "Speccy" and it will profile your PC and list what sound you have.
    Speccy - System Information - Free Download

fireberd, Nov 6, 2017
  10. Maybe if you have The Digital Realtek it does but mine does not.

Josey Wales, Nov 6, 2017
  11. txstoby Win User
    Where do I find the exact model? I went to system information and that is what I found. I ran the app and I have Realtek High Definition Audio. The speakers are the default device. The headphones are not listed anywhere.

txstoby, Nov 6, 2017
  12. CountMike New Member
    Do you have Realtek HD Manager in control panel or on taskbar ?

CountMike, Nov 6, 2017
  13. txstoby Win User

I go to control panel. I see nothing on the taskbar.

txstoby, Nov 6, 2017
  14. CountMike New Member
    This:

Speakers playing when headphones are plugged in [​IMG]

CountMike, Nov 6, 2017
  15. txstoby Win User
    No I see nothing like that

txstoby, Nov 6, 2017
Thema:

1. Speakers playing when headphones are plugged in - Similar Threads - Speakers playing headphones

2. no speaker or headphones are plugged

in Windows 10 Gaming
    no speaker or headphones are plugged: مشكلة في الصوت لايعمل https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-speaker-or-headphones-are-plugged/b216d393-e615-4584-a930-662f0a53c7e3
  3. no speakers or headphones are plugged in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    no speakers or headphones are plugged in: I use an ROG GL551 laptop and yesterday the internal speakers stopped working and when I ran the troubleshooter and restarted my computer I got the audio error "no speakers or headphones are plugged in"I went to YouTube and tried almost every fix I could fine, I typed the add...
  4. no speakers or headphones are plugged in

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    no speakers or headphones are plugged in: I use an ROG GL551 laptop and yesterday the internal speakers stopped working and when I ran the troubleshooter and restarted my computer I got the audio error "no speakers or headphones are plugged in"I went to YouTube and tried almost every fix I could fine, I typed the add...
  5. Headphones plugged in but speakers still play

Headphones plugged in but speakers still play: Hello! I have a problem i couldnt solve by watching youtube videos I tried every single thing i found on youtube and on the internet . It all happend yesterday. I got my laptop back from service i had some motherboard problems and when I wanted to use my headphones they didnt...
  6. Headphones plugged in but speakers still play

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headphones plugged in but speakers still play: Hello! I have a problem i couldnt solve by watching youtube videos I tried every single thing i found on youtube and on the internet . It all happend yesterday. I got my laptop back from service i had some motherboard problems and when I wanted to use my headphones they didnt...
  7. Headphones plugged in but speakers still play

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. This noise was playing through the laptop speaker and headphones when plugged in,...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    This noise was playing through the laptop speaker and headphones when plugged in,...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/AcceptFate_ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gl9k4m/this_noise_was_playing_through_the_laptop_speaker/
  9. speakers + headphones plugged in - only headphones will play

speakers + headphones plugged in - only headphones will play: I recently purchased a new Dell Inspirion gaming desktop. It has a combo jack on the front and the regular 7.1 channel audio jacks on the back. I have speakers plugged in the back and a headset/microphone plugged into the front...….as soon as I plug the headset into the...
  10. Sound not playing out of right speaker when headphones are plugged in

Sound not playing out of right speaker when headphones are plugged in: Hi, I've had this issue on my laptop for the entire time I've owned it, and I've tried to fix it multiple times but still nothing. Sound does not play out of the right headphone speaker, even though windows thinks that it is. This issue is present on all headphones so it's...