Windows 10: "Speakers" Sound device disappeared

Discus and support "Speakers" Sound device disappeared in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I installed Windows 10 last week and have been using it with mainly no problems (apart from my DVD/CD drive not working, which I posted a thread... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mattking1984, Aug 6, 2015.

1. "Speakers" Sound device disappeared

Hi,

I installed Windows 10 last week and have been using it with mainly no problems (apart from my DVD/CD drive not working, which I posted a thread here about but haven't received any responses yet *Sad )

When I am visiting my family back home in England I often plug my laptop into the tv to watch films with the kids through the HDMI port. I usually have to change the "default" audio device to the AMD HDMI Output to do this, and then change it back afterwards. I did this once with no problems.

However, the last time I watched something I didn't change it back before shutting down. And now my "Internal Speakers" device has disappeared. I tried uninstalling all drivers relating to sound devices in device manager and doing a scan for changes - the HD Audio device reappeared, but still no "internal speakers" option. I tried checking "show disabled devices" in the "playback devices" window, still no joy. I uninstalled everything again and used the drivers from the ASUS support page for my model laptop (ASUS x53z) and still nothing *Sad

I installed the updated sound drivers from AMD in the sticky post here. Again, nothing but the HDMI audio option. This is frustrating as I live abroad and my laptop is my main method of both communicating home and watching media. I can't use my headphones now *Sad

I have considered doing a System Restore, but crazily the only System restore point available is from when some automatic updates were installed after the issue appeared. My only option is to do a System Reset, losing all my applications, but i'm not convinced this will solve the issue. I have noticed that there is one device showing that it is unable to start in device manager. Screenshots attached.

"Speakers" Sound device disappeared [​IMG]

Any clues? I'm reticent to reset or go back to windows 7.

:)

mattking1984, Aug 6, 2015
  2. XLU
    xlu Win User

Realtek sound card does not work after Windows 10 updates

Hi, I have a PC with Realtek HD sound card built in to the Intel D915PGN motherboard. The sound card had been working fine with Windows 10 for the past 3 months. Right after the Windows 10 updates on 10/18/2015, the sound card does not work anymore.
    When mouse over the speaker icon on the lower right tray, the message says "No speakers or headphones are plugged in". When open the sound card device on the control panel, the speaker icon disappeared. Please help.

3. musum Win User
    " SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

SO HERE'S THE LINK TO THAT PIC

http://i26.tinypic.com/2ihbdco.jpg

CAN U PLZ CHECK IT ACTUALLY I HAVE USED THE NOKIA SOFTWARE UPDATER B4 ... BUT I DONT KNW WHY I M GETTING THIS ERROR NOW

musum, Aug 6, 2015
  4. "Speakers" Sound device disappeared

Ok, I've now done a "go back to windows 7 " as it was frustrating me, I have the same problem in Windows 7! Kinda annoyed that windows 10 seems to have crippled my sound card. I don't know what to do next. Please help.

mattking1984, Aug 7, 2015
  5. fireberd Win User
    The sound is not being detected by Windows (or is not properly identified to Windows).
    As you have an AMD motherboard/Chipset drivers, if there are any chipset drivers reinstall them and then restart the PC. If that fixes it, Windows will detect and install the generic, basic function, High Definition Audio Drivers. You can then install the correct hardware sound driver.

I don't think this was a Windows 10 caused problem, I suspect it was a problem before you upgraded. You should not have to manually change playback devices, either. Windows, on most systems, will detect when an HDMI cable is plugged into the PC and automatically change the default playback device to the HDMI. When the HDMI cable is disconnected Windows changes the default playback device back to the "Speakers"

As you are now back on Windows 7, we have a forum specifically for Windows 7 issues.
    Windows 7 Help Forums

fireberd, Aug 8, 2015
  6. OK I've done that, with no effect. I've also tried reinstalling the sound drivers from the ASUS website and from ATEK themselves. Still no sound, still one device showing as "not able to start (code 10) and still only the HDMI output showing in Sound Devices.

I've opened a thread over at sevenforums, so you can help me here or there *Smile

sevenforums thread: After going to Win10 and coming back, no Audio *Sad - Windows 7 Help Forums

mattking1984, Aug 8, 2015
  7. glawakus Win User
    go to control panel
    then sound
    then right click under playback
    show disabled
    then properties on the disabled
    then re-enable and set to default

glawakus, Dec 20, 2015
  8. songkrai Win User

"Speakers" Sound device disappeared

I tried all listed above and still no sound.
    Yes, this is an old thread.

Update:

10 minutes later.

This Windows 10 is connected to a Sanyo television. HDMI connection for sound.
    After doing all listed above and reading up more on internet.
    I turned OFF the television and turned it back on. Then restarted the Sanyo television. And rebooted/off/on the Windows 10.

I don't get it but sound did come back.

It's an older Sanyo but the drivers are up to date.
    Anyway, sound is back.

songkrai, Aug 10, 2016
  9. James007 Win User
    Awesome! Worked for me within 5 seconds

Many thanks

James

James007, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

"Speakers" Sound device disappeared

1. "Speakers" Sound device disappeared - Similar Threads - Speakers Sound device

2. Sound devices and Battery disappeared from Device Management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound devices and Battery disappeared from Device Management: I have a Mecer A105 LTE. A few days ago after the windows update, my battery icon disappeared. As well as my sound drivers internal speaker completely disappeared. No sound can be played from the device My sound drivers does not even show up under device manager even with...
  3. Sound devices and Battery disappeared from Device Management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound devices and Battery disappeared from Device Management: I have a Mecer A105 LTE. A few days ago after the windows update, my battery icon disappeared. As well as my sound drivers internal speaker completely disappeared. No sound can be played from the device My sound drivers does not even show up under device manager even with...
  4. Sound devices and Battery disappeared from Device Management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. no speaker sound

in Windows 10 Customization
    no speaker sound: I AM TRYING TO CHANGE THE TREBLE LEVEL ON MY WINDOWS 10 COMPUTER AND HAVE STOPPED ALL SOUND OUTPUT BY MISTAKE https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-speaker-sound/eba21bba-f15b-4006-9e8c-420a3bf6a40f
  6. No speaker sound

No speaker sound: Windows 10. Im using Creative T30 Wireless speakers direct connected by wire to my HP laptop. The speakers are Blue Tooth but since Blue tooth performs poorly, I used direct connect. They have been working fine but for some reason Im suddenly not getting any sound. The...
  7. My Sound Device Disappeared

My Sound Device Disappeared: Two days ago, I woke up and put my headset on, only to realize that there was no sound. I looked through my sound devices and realized that one was missing, that was the 'SpeakersRealtek High Definition Audio' device. Now whenever I plug in my headset, is no longer asks me...
  8. My Sound Device Speakers Realtek High Definition Audio Disappeared

My Sound Device Speakers Realtek High Definition Audio Disappeared: Two days ago, I woke up and put my headset on, only to realize that there was no sound. I looked through my sound devices and realized that one was missing, that was the 'SpeakersRealtek High Definition Audio' device. Now whenever I plug in my headset, is no longer asks me...
  9. Speakers, sound

Speakers, sound: Hello! I don't know if this is the right place for my question but i've become so frustrated that i didn't know where else i could an answer. In the past few days, my Lenovo Legion y520 (I have it for about 7 months already) started to sound really muffled, I was playing one...
  10. No sound & speakers missing in Playback Devices

No sound & speakers missing in Playback Devices: I have no sound on my new Windows 10 PC. Things I've tried: 1) Uninstalled and reinstalled sound drivers with multiple restarts 2) Checked power is connected 3) Checked speakers are connected via the green jack There's another fix I was trying in the Playback Devices...