Windows 10: Speakers won't stay default

Discus and support Speakers won't stay default in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; On my son's laptop, he has 2 playback devices, HD audio and speakers. If set to HD audio, no sound. If set to speakers, perfect. Problem is it won't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by wreckwriter, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Speakers won't stay default

On my son's laptop, he has 2 playback devices, HD audio and speakers. If set to HD audio, no sound. If set to speakers, perfect. Problem is it won't stay set to speakers. Drivers are up to date. Its a Lenovo Carbon laptop (don't have exact model with me now). PC primarily used for gaming, mostly Steam.

Ideas?

:)

wreckwriter, Feb 4, 2016

2. Default speakers won't stay the default

Hi Asheryl,

Thanks for reply.

I would suggest you to install latest sound card drivers in compatibility mode from the manufacturer.

Follow the below steps to install drivers in compatibility mode.

1. Right click on driver installation file and select Troubleshoot in compatibility mode and check in the Run this program in compatibility mode.

2. Tap or click the drop down box and select operating system, then tap or click OK.
    3. Try installing the driver and check.
    4. Follow the on screen instructions.

I hope this helps.

Let us know the status of the issue so that we can assist you better.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Feb 4, 2016
  3. codesuth Win User
    Default speakers won't stay the default

It's just so sad that Microslop will not step up and fix the issue. As a customer I should have have to use a work around. I set it on a source it should STAY on that source even if that source is corrupt ( In my case its not ). Just very poor design.
    But like the rest of you mine picks the 1st HDMI monitor it finds and defaults to that every single reboot.

codesuth, Feb 4, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Speakers won't stay default

When does the default setting change? After a restart or shutdown or does it change on opening up another game program?

philc43, Feb 4, 2016
  5. Unknown. Just find the red mark over the speakers sometimes. He's a little boy, goes too fast to notice details... I'll try to get a better answer.

wreckwriter, Feb 4, 2016
  6. I got it to produce sound with the HD set as default which seems to be what it wants. We'll see if it holds up. Set my desktop same way as additional test.

wreckwriter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Speakers won't stay default

1. Speakers won't stay default - Similar Threads - Speakers won't stay

2. Default speaker notification

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default speaker notification: I recently paired my wireless headphones to my PC. Now every time I put in headphones or take them out I get a large notification across the screen that lets me know my default speaker/audio/microphone has changed. How do I get rid of this?...
  3. Default speaker notification

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default speaker notification: I recently paired my wireless headphones to my PC. Now every time I put in headphones or take them out I get a large notification across the screen that lets me know my default speaker/audio/microphone has changed. How do I get rid of this?...
  4. Default speaker notification

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Laptop won't stay on

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop won't stay on: To keep my laptop stay on i need to press the power button and any other random button simultaneously. The random button must be continously pressed otherwise the laptop would go into sleep mode or power off. What's the issue and can you guide me to a solution....
  6. Laptop won't stay on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop won't stay on: To keep my laptop stay on i need to press the power button and any other random button simultaneously. The random button must be continously pressed otherwise the laptop would go into sleep mode or power off. What's the issue and can you guide me to a solution....
  7. Laptop won't stay on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Default speakers not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default speakers not working: Sometimes the default speaker being changed sends the sound to the wrong speaker, it will stay this way until I change it. It will not always be the same speaker it sets it to, and it reacts the same if I try to make changes on the "App volume device preferences"...
  9. Why may default speaker won't autoconnect to bluetooth speaker

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why may default speaker won't autoconnect to bluetooth speaker: Every time i turn on my BOSE bluetooth speaker, laptop sound auto play in it and when i turn off my bluetooth speaker, laptop automatically use the default laptop speaker. That was a month ago. Now when i turn on my bluetooth speaker, windows indicates that its connected...
  10. Firefox won't stay as default browser (W10-1909)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Firefox won't stay as default browser (W10-1909): As stated. I obviously tried pretty much anything that was recommended to try. I also went ahead and manually disabled Edge but it still doesn't stay. Any ideas people? Thx ahead. submitted by /u/mrrobc97 [link] [comments]...