Windows 10: Speakers won't work with external display

Discus and support Speakers won't work with external display in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I actually have two issues (the second being that the built-in microphone isn't working, but that's the least of my worries). I have my laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dragonmoon, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Speakers won't work with external display

I actually have two issues (the second being that the built-in microphone isn't working, but that's the least of my worries). I have my laptop connected to an external monitor & I can't get any non-system sounds to play.

Dell Laptop w/ only HDMI video connected to Dell VGA monitor (no speakers) via an adapter that has a 3.5mm jack for speakers. I can get system sounds via the laptop's speakers, but I can't play MP3s and YouTube videos have no sound. I had things working at one point (no, I cannot remember what I did or can find the tutorial that I used), but after moving my desk (unhooking the laptop from the monitor), cussing at non-functional microphone, and setting things back up, I'm back to no sounds. When I did get the speakers to work, they were working on the 3.5mm headphone/microphone jack on the laptop, but not through the jack on the HDMI/VGA adapter.

I've seen things about disabling the HDMI audio controller. I cannot change the default audio devices via the sound dialog box that is available by right-clicking on the sound icon on the bottom right of the screen. I'm assuming that the Dell speakers that are stuck as default are the on-board ones on the laptop.

Yes, I'm searching the forums for answers already (sorry, I've run into too many "helpful" people whose answers tend to be of the RTFM variety). Attached is a screen shot from my device manager if someone can point me at the right spot to whack at with a hammer and what size nail to use.

Thanks

Speakers won't work with external display [​IMG]

Speakers won't work with external display [​IMG]

:)

dragonmoon, Nov 19, 2015

2. Windows 10 external wired speakers

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my external wired speakers won't work, can anyone help with an answer please?

EricReekie, Nov 19, 2015
  3. Lucyisin Win User
    Windows 10 Audio Randomly Cuts Out

I have tried all these fixes. None work. I have been on the phone 4 or 5 times with support having them work on it remotely. Nothing has stuck. Also, the volume will not increase. On other apps, such as Skype, external speakers work. But the external
    speakers won't work running audio on the internet. This is highly frustrating, as well as time consuming, and exhausting restarting the computer for a few minutes of audio. PLEASE find a fix that works and sticks.

Lucyisin, Nov 19, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Speakers won't work with external display

First of all, I see the Dell E2414H Display audio is disabled in Device Manager. When connected through HDMI this should be enabled. Try enabling it. Then I recommend downloading last graphics drivers from Intel which will also update the HDMI audio drivers and will fix the problem. You probably need 4th Generation or later CPU graphics drivers. Follow the link for latest drivers, modify keywords as necessary and search again. Or you can download Intel's driver updater to automatically search for drivers.

spapakons, Nov 19, 2015
Thema:

Speakers won't work with external display

1. Speakers won't work with external display - Similar Threads - Speakers won't external

2. External speakers not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External speakers not working: Greetings, My Razer Nommo external speakers have no sound.I'm running Win 10 and I have upgraded and checked my connections, I have also uninstalled Realtek and installed it again, but yet still nothing is happening.When I tap on the speaker icon in my taskbar all that shows...
  3. External speakers not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External speakers not working: Greetings, My Razer Nommo external speakers have no sound.I'm running Win 10 and I have upgraded and checked my connections, I have also uninstalled Realtek and installed it again, but yet still nothing is happening.When I tap on the speaker icon in my taskbar all that shows...
  4. External speakers not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. external speakers not working

external speakers not working: My External speakers stopped working. May be due to Realtek update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-speakers-not-working/8e5437f8-70d4-47ee-ae16-d7a00ec4ca98
  6. external speakers not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external speakers not working: My External speakers stopped working. May be due to Realtek update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-speakers-not-working/8e5437f8-70d4-47ee-ae16-d7a00ec4ca98
  7. external speakers not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. External Speaker Is Not Working

External Speaker Is Not Working: I have connected two wires from the speakers to the laptop but the external speaker is not working. The sound is being heard from the internal speaker. I have already tried clicking the speaker button in the taskbar. Please suggest me something else than that....
  9. External Speakers not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External Speakers not working: Hey there, my work computer is brand new and running windows 10. We previously had XP (I know...) for some reason the speakers will not play music at all. I’ve tried the troubleshooting options and to show disabled/disconnected items on the audio menu but they aren’t even...
  10. External speakers not working

External speakers not working: When I turn on the computer I see a message that states 'audio output device is not installed'. The speakers have been attached to another computer and work fine. They worked fine last week. 96550