Windows 10: Specific game unmounting HDDs

Discus and support Specific game unmounting HDDs in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm unsure of the particular field this should be posted on, but here goes... I have several HDDs in my desktop, 2 of which are shown as removable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by theazzor, Apr 10, 2017.

1. theazzor Win User

Specific game unmounting HDDs

I'm unsure of the particular field this should be posted on, but here goes...

I have several HDDs in my desktop, 2 of which are shown as removable (i think hotswapping thing) and this has been of no problem for a lot of use for quite some time, so it never bothered me.

Now i recently installed a game called AION onto one of the non hotswappable drives (note that all drives are internal SATA) and for this game alone (i have tested many others over time, and tested AION several times with this happening each time) i get the sound of a device being removed, and the 2 hard drives that show as being removable get unmounted.. this can only be solved by a reboot in which they are back as normal, until i launch AION again,

Drives have been tested with surface scans, stuff like that. Can't really find anything on this, and as to why it is this specific application causing the 2 drives to unmount and require a reboot to "remount".

Again, all HDDs are of good health, and maintained well, well ventilated, all that stuff.

I just dont know why this particular application of all of them would cause this to happen.

any advice or insight would be much appreciated thankyou all!

:)

theazzor, Apr 10, 2017

2. How to make computer shut down immediately instead of showing "Getting Windows Ready" or installing updates?

If possible, I would like to avoid doing what you suggested.

By doing so, there are risks that it may cause some Windows files may be corrupted. You can argue that you had done this without problem. But, still, there are risks.

Also, by doing so, there are risks that it may cause damage to the HDD itself.

The safe way to power off the HDD is unmount the HDD, spin down the HDD, allow the HDD to have enough time to park its head before cut the power. This is what Windows and other operating systems do in the shutdown process. If you use Windows's"safety remove"
    feature to unmount an external HDD, Windows will do the same thing.

By pressing the power button on the computer to power off the computer without proper shutdown, there are risks that it may cause the HDD head to be parked incorrectly, and damage the data.

You may argue that you had done this without problem. But, there are risks.

CSH1471199, Apr 10, 2017
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    call of duty ghost not run in window 10

- This game does require a lot of HDD space - 40GB. Your HDD also needs at least 15% free space

to allow for defragmenting.

- What are your system specifications, including brand and model graphics processor ?

While the minimum specs are not especially high, you do need a DX11 capable graphics processor.

- Which version of the game - Retail disk, Steam, other ?

- The game was released in '13, so there is very little likelihood it would require a compatibility setting

for an older version of Windows to run on Win10.

BossDweeb, Apr 10, 2017
  4. theazzor Win User

Tried changing HDD to IDE in BIOS which caused BSOD so i switched back
    Another note is my computer doesnt shut down properly after this occurs, requiring a hard reset at power. Nothing else seems to be a problem, just with this one application causing all this. device manager shows nothing out of the ordinary

theazzor, Apr 10, 2017
  5. theazzor Win User
    Is there anyone that has any idea what i should do or what is happening?

theazzor, Apr 11, 2017
  6. theazzor Win User
    Please anyone have any clue? or could suggest a way for me to problem solve this myself?

theazzor, Apr 13, 2017
  7. Changing from AHCI/RAID (in BIOS) to IDE is a very bad idea. Windows is very likely to not boot up in this case, lots of horror stories about this (Google it). Changing it back wont always fix the issue. If you wish to change this then you should do so before installing Windows. IDE will also cause a big performance drop (it's slower than AHCI/RAID because it's designed for older storage devices).

AnonVendetta, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Specific game unmounting HDDs - Similar Threads - Specific game unmounting

2. Large HDDs or SSDs?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Large HDDs or SSDs?: Hi, There is an ongoing thread about changing drive letters and a question was asked. I didn't want to post my question there in fear of hijacking it. But what is the purpose of larger HDDs/SSDs?. There are some members who have really large HDDs, 3-4tb or more, internal or...
  3. BSOD seemingly with specific games

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD seemingly with specific games: Howdy, I've had some system stability and blue screen issues over the last year that have been driving me crazy. I've tried many things, and sometimes can go up to 20+ days without an issue. I seem to mostly have issues when playing Apex Legends and Hunt Showdown, both of...
  4. HDDs

HDDs: dose windows 10 changes the HDD from MBR to GBT or vise versa automatically, if so is it wipe it out or the data still there? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdds/be966c48-b80c-4b05-b8d0-56fedab7e10e
  5. specific solitaire game

in Windows 10 Customization
    specific solitaire game: For years I've been playing a solitaire game spider and I am unable to find it anymore. My old "site" just "sits there." Specifically I am looking for: 1. Spider solitaire 2. Four suits 3. NO duplicate cards!!!! Can someone make a suggestion? I've had people respond to...
  6. Differential recognition of HDDs

Differential recognition of HDDs: One of my Win10 v1909 PCs no longer sees some HDDs, (not in Disk Management, not in This PC) but another - also Win10v1909 - sees them immediately. Why would that be ? Is there a remedy ? 155596
  7. Installing a specific game to a specific drive

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Installing a specific game to a specific drive: Short version: MS Store installs to and launches from C: HDD, I want it to do all that from my E: SSD. Longer version: I recently bought The Outer Worlds on the MS Store. It automatically downloaded to my C: HDD, but I wanted it on my E: SSD. After attempting to move the...
  8. External HDDs unmounting itself !

External HDDs unmounting itself !: I have windows 10 home and a laptop DELL 7720 My problem : External HDDs unmount itself after new booting in a short time ! 10 minutes ok the funtion and then they are vanishing and you can't back them with an unplug /plug action...
  9. specific game not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    specific game not working: I am trying to play "World of Tennis: Roaring 20's." But the game keeps having network issues, saying that I need an active Internet connection to play. I do have an active Internet. How else can I fix this problem?...
  10. Quick access and HDDs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Quick access and HDDs: I would like to add my Hard Drives to Quick Access through the registry or another way. Possibly not manually. Anyone got any ideas? 66087