Windows 10: Specify Deadlines for Automatic Updates and Restarts in Windows 10

Discus and support Specify Deadlines for Automatic Updates and Restarts in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Specify Deadlines for Automatic Updates and Restarts in Windows 10 How to Specify Deadlines for Automatic Updates and Restarts in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Specify Deadlines for Automatic Updates and Restarts in Windows 10

How to: Specify Deadlines for Automatic Updates and Restarts in Windows 10

How to Specify Deadlines for Automatic Updates and Restarts in Windows 10

Windows Update keeps Windows 10 updated by downloading and installing the latest updates, drivers, and hotfixes released by Microsoft.

Starting with reschedule.

Deadlines for feature updates and quality updates can be up to 30 days. The auto-restart grace period can be from 0 to 7 days.

You can also disable auto-restarts until the end of the auto-restart grace period.

If you disable or do not configure this policy, devices will get updates and will restart according to the default schedule.

This policy will override the following policies:

1. Specify deadline before auto restart for update installation
    2. Specify Engaged restart transition and notification schedule for updates
    3. Always automatically restart at the scheduled time
    4. No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installation

This tutorial will show you how to specify deadlines for automatic updates and restarts for Windows Update in Windows 10.

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to specify deadlines for automatic updates and restarts.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Specify Deadlines for Automatic Updates and Restarts in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Specify Deadlines for Automatic Updates and Restarts in Registry Editor

OPTION ONE [/i] Specify Deadlines for Automatic Updates and Restarts in Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update

Specify Deadlines for Automatic Updates and Restarts in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. In the right pane of Windows Update in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Specify deadlines for automatic updates and restarts policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (default) or step 6 (specify) below for what you would like to do.

5. Use Default Deadlines for Automatic Updates and Restarts
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. Specify Deadlines for Automatic Updates and Restarts
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, and perform the actions below in Options: (see screenshot below)
    • Select 2 to 30 days (7 is default) in the Quality updates drop menu for what you want to specify the number of days a user has before quality updates run automatically regardless of reschedule.
    • Select 2 to 30 days (7 is default) in the Feature updates drop menu for what you want to specify the number of days a user has before feature updates run automatically regardless of reschedule.
    • Select 0 to 7 days (2 is default) in the Grace period drop menu for what you want to specify an auto-restart period from the time a restart is required until the device automatically restares. Devices will restart regardless of reschedule.
    • Check or uncheck (default) the Don't auto-restart until end of grace period box for what you want.
    B) Click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below.

7. When finished, close the Local Group Policy Editor.

OPTION TWO [/i] Specify Deadlines for Automatic Updates and Restarts in Registry Editor
    1. Do step 2 (specify) or step 3 (default) below for what you would like to do.

2. Specify Deadlines for Automatic Updates and Restarts
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below.

*note This downloadable .reg file will add the registry keys and values for you to make it easier to specify what you want starting at step 2D below.
    Specify_deadlines_for_automatic_updates_and_restarts.reg

Download
    B) Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

C) When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

D) Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

E) Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

F) In the right pane of the WindowsUpdate key, double click/tap on the ConfigureDeadlineForQualityUpdates DWORD to modify it. (see screenshot below step 2E)

G) Select (dot) Decimal, type 2 to 30 days (7 is default) you want to specify for Quality updates, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

H) In the right pane of the WindowsUpdate key, double click/tap on the ConfigureDeadlineForFeatureUpdates DWORD to modify it. (see screenshot below step 2E)

I) Select (dot) Decimal, type 2 to 30 days (7 is default) you want to specify for Feature updates, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

J) In the right pane of the WindowsUpdate key, double click/tap on the ConfigureDeadlineGracePeriod DWORD to modify it. (see screenshot below step 2E)

K) Type 0 to 7 days (2 is default) you want to specify for a Grace period, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

L) In the right pane of the WindowsUpdate key, double click/tap on the ConfigureDeadlineNoAutoReboot DWORD to modify it. (see screenshot below step 2E)

M) Type 0 (unchecked) or 1 (checked) for what you want for Don't auto-restart until end of grace period, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

N) Close Registry Editor, and go to step 4 below.

3. Use Default Deadlines for Automatic Updates and Restarts
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below.
    Default_Undo_specify_deadlines_for_automatic_updates_and_restarts.reg

Download
    B) Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

C) When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

D) Go to step 4 below.
    4. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jun 10, 2018

2. Vista Automatic Updating Error

Automatic Updates isn't currently running.

DistantDeath, Oct 27, 2019
  3. IronZorg89, Oct 27, 2019
  4. bigscale Win User

windows automatic updates

i have some questions about the windows automatic updates in windows xp pro w sp/2. ive got about forty updates they recommend , mostly for security but i only installed two today. after installing them i found them in my add/remove programs in the control panel, if i add all these updates that is a lot of space on my hd almost 1 gig. i thought that updates just updated files and not created new programs. should i innore all these update suggestions from microsoft?

bigscale, Oct 27, 2019
  5. jbunch07 Win User
    Vista Automatic Updating Error

Resolution Suggestion:

# To resolve this problem, make sure that BITS and the Automatic Updates service are started..

A simple solution but one that works in most circumstances!

1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.

2. In the list of services, right-click Automatic Updates, and then click Properties.

3. In the Startup type list, click Automatic, and then click Apply.

4. If Service status is set to Stopped, click Start, and then click OK.

5. Right-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service, and then click Properties.

6. In the Startup type list, click Manual, and then click Apply.

7. If Service status is set to Stopped, click Start, and then click OK.

http://www.updatexp.com/0x80070422.html- source *Smile Specify Deadlines for Automatic Updates and Restarts in Windows 10 :) hope that helps.

jbunch07, Oct 27, 2019
  6. P4-630 Win User
    Microsoft to push automatic Windows 10 upgrades in 2016

"Microsoft has announced that Windows 10 will be automatically rolled out next year to all users of its older operating systems who have selected to receive updates.

Until now, users of Windows 7 and 8 have needed to register to upgrade to Windows 10. But that's about to change: soon the OS will be listed as an 'Optional Update' and -- from 2016 -- a 'recommended' update that will automatically install itself, if users have opted to receive updates in that way.*Shadedshun :shadedshu:

You can opt out of automatic updates to avoid this, but Microsoftsays that "we strongly discourage this in today’s connected world because of the constant risk of internet threats". You can also change your Windows Update settings to install critical updates but not recommended ones. Although it's still going to be possible to avoid installation, Microsoft seems quite determined for everyone to be using Windows 10 in near future.

The roll-out of reserved updates was initially staggered but, according to Microsoft, now Windows "will automatically kick off the upgrade process once you have made a reservation".

As an intermediate stage, Microsoft says that it will "soon" publish Windows 10 as an optional update, not installed by default, but accessible to all users.
    "

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive...rade-to-be-rolled-out-automatically-next-year

P4-630, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Specify Deadlines for Automatic Updates and Restarts in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Specify Deadlines Automatic

2. Clients updating before deadline

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clients updating before deadline: I have been playing around with the GPO settings regarding the Install day and week, but I’m 100% sure that a lot of clients are installing updates before the actual Install day is reached, even though the GPO is being applied I even checked the registry settings. There is no...
  3. Clients updating before deadline

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clients updating before deadline: I have been playing around with the GPO settings regarding the Install day and week, but I’m 100% sure that a lot of clients are installing updates before the actual Install day is reached, even though the GPO is being applied I even checked the registry settings. There is no...
  4. Clients updating before deadline

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to specify deadline before auto-restart for Update installation in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to specify deadline before auto-restart for Update installation in Windows 10: [ATTACH]On Windows 10, Microsoft has rolled out a setting which notifies you after downloading a feature update in Windows 10. In the end, you have […] This article How to specify deadline before auto-restart for Update installation in Windows 10 first appeared on...
  6. Windows 10 Updates and Automatic Restarts

Windows 10 Updates and Automatic Restarts: Quick Summary: Windows 10 updates and restarts automatically without warning or notification. Any running operation or unsaved work gets lost. Can this be modified/disabled? Details: 1 I recognize the importance of updates due to security and other reasons. Updates are...
  7. Automatically update on restart(Windows 10)

Automatically update on restart(Windows 10): Heya! Sorry for my really bad english for the first. For the second: Sometimes Windows crashes, because of the nVidia driver I think. When it's happen, I reset the computer, and Windows instead of boot up, it's updating itself sometimes. Can I turn off that annoying...
  8. Windows Update Automatic Restart

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update Automatic Restart: Hello, I just wanted to say here on the forums that making the Windows update restart my computer automatically, no matter what, is ridiculous. The last time the update had restarted my computer while I was using it, I went and put the settings to the option of "choose when...
  9. Windows 10 upgrade deadline?

Windows 10 upgrade deadline?: It must be getting close to the 1-year interval for W10 upgrades, and I'm not good with dates. Is it too late? My computer is 5 years old. Here's my experience with upgrading to 10: First, I ran the upgrader from Windows 7, and got upgraded with no trouble. There were a...
  10. Change Deadline before Auto-restart for Update in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Deadline before Auto-restart for Update in Windows 10: How to: Change Deadline before Auto-restart for Update in Windows 10 How to Change Deadline before Auto-restart for Update in Windows 10 Microsoft has made it easier for Windows Update to keep Windows 10 updated by automatically downloading and installing the latest...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Specify deadlines for automatic updates and restarts