Windows 10: Specify Max Active Hours Range for Auto-restarts in Windows 10

Discus and support Specify Max Active Hours Range for Auto-restarts in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Specify Max Active Hours Range for Auto-restarts in Windows 10 How to Specify Max Active Hours Range for Auto-restarts in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Specify Max Active Hours Range for Auto-restarts in Windows 10

How to: Specify Max Active Hours Range for Auto-restarts in Windows 10

How to Specify Max Active Hours Range for Auto-restarts in Windows 10

Active hours identify the period of time when you expect the device to be in use. Automatic restarts after an update will occur outside of the active hours.

By default, active hours are from 8 AM to 5 PM. Users can change the active hours manually with a max active hours range of 18 hours by default.

Starting with Windows 10 version 1703, administrators can specify the max active hours range users can set. This option gives you additional flexibility to leave some of the decision for active hours on the user's side, while making sure you allow enough time for updating. The specified range will be counted from the active hours start time.

This tutorial will show you how to specify the maximum number of hours from the start time that users can set their active hours for Windows Update auto-restarts in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to specify the max active hours range.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Specify Max Active Hours Range in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Specify Max Active Hours Range using a REG file

EXAMPLE: When max active hours range has been specified

Specify Max Active Hours Range for Auto-restarts in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Specify Max Active Hours Range in Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update

3. In the right pane of Windows Update in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Specify active hours range for auto-restarts policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (default) or step 6 (specify) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Use Default Max Active Hours Range
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Specify Max Active Hours Range
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, select a Max range of 8 to 18 hours in the drop menu you want, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, close the Local Group Policy Editor.

8. Restart the computer to apply.

OPTION TWO [/i] Specify Max Active Hours Range using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD values in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

SetActiveHoursMaxRange DWORD

(delete) = Default
    1 = Specify

ActiveHoursMaxRange DWORD

(delete) = Default
    8 (decimal) = 8 hours
    9 (decimal) = 9 hours
    10 (decimal) = 10 hours
    11 (decimal) = 11 hours
    12 (decimal) = 12 hours
    13 (decimal) = 13 hours
    14 (decimal) = 14 hours
    15 (decimal) = 15 hours
    16 (decimal) = 16 hours
    17 (decimal) = 17 hours
    18 (decimal) = 18 hours

1. Do step 2 (default), step 3 (8), step 4 (9), step 5 (10), step 6 (11), step 7 (12), step 8 (13), step 9 (14), step 10 (15), step 11 (16), step 12 (17), or step 13 (18) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Use Default Max Active Hours Range
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 14 below.

Default_active_hours_range.reg

Download

3. To Specify 8 Hours as Max Active Hours Range
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 14 below.

Set_max_active_hours_range_to_8_hours.reg

Download

4. To Specify 9 Hours as Max Active Hours Range

Set_max_active_hours_range_to_9_hours.reg

Download

5. To Specify 10 Hours as Max Active Hours Range

Set_max_active_hours_range_to_10_hours.reg

Download

6. To Specify 11 Hours as Max Active Hours Range

Set_max_active_hours_range_to_11_hours.reg

Download

7. To Specify 12 Hours as Max Active Hours Range

Set_max_active_hours_range_to_12_hours.reg

Download

8. To Specify 13 Hours as Max Active Hours Range

Set_max_active_hours_range_to_13_hours.reg

Download

9. To Specify 14 Hours as Max Active Hours Range

Set_max_active_hours_range_to_14_hours.reg

Download

10. To Specify 15 Hours as Max Active Hours Range

Set_max_active_hours_range_to_15_hours.reg

Download

11. To Specify 16 Hours as Max Active Hours Range

Set_max_active_hours_range_to_16_hours.reg

Download

12. To Specify 17 Hours as Max Active Hours Range

Set_max_active_hours_range_to_17_hours.reg

Download

13. To Specify 18 Hours as Max Active Hours Range

Set_max_active_hours_range_to_18_hours.reg

Download
    14. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

15. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

16. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

17. Restart the computer to apply.

18. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Feb 12, 2018
  2. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Windows update and restart during active hours

Hi susanahlburg,

There will be situations when Windows Update can override the set active hours due to a bug. As a workaround, I suggest that you set your connection as metered to control when updates are installed.

To set a Wi-Fi network connection as metered:

• Select Start > Settings > Network & Internet >
      Wi-Fi > Manage known networks.
    • Select the Wi-Fi network > Properties > turn on Set as metered connection.

In addition, if you are experienced in modifying group policies and registry keys, you can configure a forced restart after a specified installation time, and then turn off auto-restart for updates during active hours. Should you choose to proceed with modifying
    group policies and registry keys, I suggest that you seek assistance from an IT professional or technician to avoid further issues with the system. Here is an
    article on how to manage device restarts after updates. Refer to
    Schedule update installation and Delay automatic reboot.

Let us know how it turns out.

Patricia Yu, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Specify Max Active Hours Range for Auto-restarts in Windows 10

Installing Updates and Restarting During my Active Hours?

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the inconvenience caused to you as the Active Hour feature is not working as it should be.
    In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the Windows 10 version and Build installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • Are you aware of any recent changes on the PC, prior to this issue?

Meanwhile, we would suggest you to perform these steps and check if that fix the issue.

Configuring active hours with Group Policy.

Please refer the section for Configure active hours
    and make the changes accordingly. If the PC installed with Windows 10 Pro then follow the steps under
    Configuring active hours with Group Policy and if it is
    Windows 10 Home then follow steps under Configuring active hours through Registry
    from this article: Manage device restarts after updates.

Note: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify
    the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Follow the steps to take
    backup of registry.

Please let us know the status of the issue,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Is there a way to make Windows10 Max Active hours more than 12 hours?

Expanding the Active Hours default range:

We’ve heard the feedback that you like the control Active Hours provides over when your PC restarts for updates, however feel that that the default 12 hour range on PC is too limited. We want to accommodate various enterprise environments and
    schedules including those where employees have double shifts, so starting with Build 14942, we’ve changed this range for PCs on Pro, Enterprise, or Education editions to 18 hours. This means Insiders using these editions can now set active hours up to 18 hours
    from the selected start time (same as Mobile). We’ve added text to the active hours dialog so users always know what the default range is when choosing their times. We’ve also added the ability for the default range to be configured via new group and MDM policies
    (configurable up to 18 hours). New text will be displayed on the active hours dialog to indicate when the default range is configured via the policy. PCs using Home edition will continue to have a default range of 12 hours.

Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14942 for PC | Windows Experience Blog

Gerry C J Cornell, Oct 27, 2019
  6. trogne Win User
    windows update auto restarting even if disabled

I have Home.

In active hours, I can set up to max 18 hours period, so it will still auto-restart in the remaining 6 hours.

trogne, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Specify Max Active Hours Range for Auto-restarts in Windows 10

1. Specify Max Active Hours Range for Auto-restarts in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Specify Max Active

2. Active Hours for Restarts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Active Hours for Restarts: I tried to change the hours the computer won't automatically restart after an update. I can't change it. I click, nothing changes. Yeah, I can click on 11 p.m., but it doesn't actually change it. MS has it set for 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. This is beyond troubling. Last thing I need...
  3. Active Hours for Restarts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Active Hours for Restarts: I tried to change the hours the computer won't automatically restart after an update. I can't change it. I click, nothing changes. Yeah, I can click on 11 p.m., but it doesn't actually change it. MS has it set for 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. This is beyond troubling. Last thing I need...
  4. Windows wont auto restart outside Active hours to auto install feature updates, although i...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows wont auto restart outside Active hours to auto install feature updates, although i...: as the title says, the update gets downloaded and everything, but there is always a manual reboot confirmation notification, i want the update to continue installing by itself the pc rebooting on non active hours, so the update auto installs and the pc reboots to finish it...
  5. Windows wont auto restart outside Active hours to auto install feature updates, although i...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows wont auto restart outside Active hours to auto install feature updates, although i...: as the title says, the update gets downloaded and everything, but there is always a manual reboot confirmation notification, i want the update to continue installing by itself the pc rebooting on non active hours, so the update auto installs and the pc reboots to finish it...
  6. auto restart in windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    auto restart in windows 10: After a power surge I am unable to shut down my computer. When I attempt to shut down, it restarts automatically. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/auto-restart-in-windows-10/d3fd76a3-4662-4637-bb98-9826da98e766
  7. How to specify deadline before auto-restart for Update installation in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to specify deadline before auto-restart for Update installation in Windows 10: [ATTACH]On Windows 10, Microsoft has rolled out a setting which notifies you after downloading a feature update in Windows 10. In the end, you have […] This article How to specify deadline before auto-restart for Update installation in Windows 10 first appeared on...
  8. Auto microphone adjust to max

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Auto microphone adjust to max: I'm having this problem which whenever i open any game, my mic automatically boost it to 100. I'm using a blue yeti and it frustrates me so much that i have to adjust manually to 0. I have searched a lot of solution and it didn't work. For example: Dota 2 whenever the game...
  9. Windows 10 auto-restarted inside active hours without my consent

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 auto-restarted inside active hours without my consent: My active hour is set from 9:00 to 3:00 (18 hours). Why does windows keep scheduling the update in the afternoon!?? I just went to the toilet for a while (in the afternoon, 16:00), and when I came back, my computer is restarting TOTALLY WITHOUT MY CONSENT. It's the 2nd time...
  10. Windows 10 auto restarts

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 auto restarts: I have tried to stop pc from restarting automatically and following different site suggestions has not worked. Suggestions please. 69204