Windows 10: Specify Minimum PIN Length for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10

Discus and support Specify Minimum PIN Length for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Specify Minimum PIN Length for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10 How to Specify Minimum PIN Length for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10 [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by larc919, Feb 23, 2016.

1. larc919 Win User

Specify Minimum PIN Length for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10

How to: Specify Minimum PIN Length for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10

How to Specify Minimum PIN Length for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10

Specify Minimum PIN Length for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information When you TPM, you can choose to unlock the OS drive at startup with a PIN.

Originally, BitLocker allowed from 4 to 20 characters for a PIN. Starting with Windows 10 PIN is changed. If successful, Windows will only reset the TPM lockout period back to default if the TPM is reset.

The turn on BitLocker for the OS drive. The startup PIN must have a minimum length of 4 digits, and it can have a maximum length of 20 digits. By default, the minimum PIN length is 6.

This tutorial will show you how to specify a minimum length for a TPM startup PIN used with BitLocker in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to specify a minimum PIN length for BitLocker startup.

Note editions.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Specify Minimum PIN Length for BitLocker Startup in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Specify Minimum PIN Length for BitLocker Startup in Registry Editor

OPTION ONE [/i] Specify Minimum PIN Length for BitLocker Startup in Local Group Policy Editor

Note Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\BitLocker Drive Encryption\Operating System Drives

3. In the right pane of Operating System Drives in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Configure minimum PIN length for startup policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (specify) or step 6 (default) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Specify Minimum PIN Length for BitLocker Startup
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, enter a number between 4 to 20 in Minimum characters for what you want, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

Note If minimum PIN length is set below 6 digits, Windows will attempt to update the TPM 2.0 lockout period to be greater than the default when a PIN is changed. If successful, Windows will only reset the TPM lockout period back to default if the TPM is reset.

6. To Use Default Minimum PIN Length for BitLocker Startup
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

NOTE: Not Configured is the default setting.

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Specify Minimum PIN Length for BitLocker Startup in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)

Note If you do not have a FVE key, then right click on the Microsoft key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type FVE for the name, and press Enter.

*Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\FVE

3. Do step 4 (specify) or step 5 (default) below for what you would like to do.

4. To Specify Minimum PIN Length for BitLocker Startup
    A) In the right pane of the FVE key, right click or press and hold on the MinimumPIN DWORD to modify it. (see screenshot below step 2)

B) Select (dot) Decimal, enter a number between 4 to 20 for what you want, click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

Note If minimum PIN length is set below 6 digits, Windows will attempt to update the TPM 2.0 lockout period to be greater than the default when a PIN is changed. If successful, Windows will only reset the TPM lockout period back to default if the TPM is reset.

5. To Use Default Minimum PIN Length for BitLocker Startup
    A) In the right pane of the FVE key, right click or press and hold on the MinimumPIN DWORD, and click/tap on Delete. (see screenshot below step 2)

B) Click/tap on Yes to confirm, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

6. You can now close Registry Editor if you like.
    That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

larc919, Feb 23, 2016
  2. lx07 Win User

Specify Maximum and Minimum PIN Length in Windows 10

If you change the minimum or maximum PIN length you need to remove and re-add the PIN. Otherwise the rules before the change still apply.

For example, if I have a 4 long PIN and change minimum length from 4 to 6 I can still change to another 4 long PIN. Only if the PIN is deleted and a new one added does the 6 minimum take effect.

I don't know if this is intended or not but is confusing.

Also on 17134 it is required to check the "Include letters and symbols" box to see the PIN requirements. This looks like a definite bug to me but may be useful to know.

3. Brink Win User
    Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  4. zpmarcos Win User

zpmarcos, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Brink Win User
    Windows 10 asking for minimum 6 digit pin

A PIN must be at least 4 digits by default in Windows 10, so I'm not sure what isn't working for you. Could you please provide more details?

What does it show for you like below?

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  6. zpmarcos Win User
    Windows 10 asking for minimum 6 digit pin

Sorry I dont have that "pin requirements" button as you can see in the images above

zpmarcos, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Specify Minimum PIN Length for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Specify Minimum PIN

2. Reset minimum PIN length to 4 in Windows Hello

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Reset minimum PIN length to 4 in Windows Hello: HiWindows 10 HomeOffice 365 Business Premium I use a Windows 10 Home edition desktop. I have recently purchased a 10 user license for my charity of Office 365. To use this license on my home machine I had to add the account I have in the office 365 Admin centre to my windows...
  3. Reset minimum PIN length to 4 in Windows Hello

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset minimum PIN length to 4 in Windows Hello: HiWindows 10 HomeOffice 365 Business Premium I use a Windows 10 Home edition desktop. I have recently purchased a 10 user license for my charity of Office 365. To use this license on my home machine I had to add the account I have in the office 365 Admin centre to my windows...
  4. Reset minimum PIN length to 4 in Windows Hello

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to specify Minimum and Maximum PIN length in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to specify Minimum and Maximum PIN length in Windows 10: [ATTACH]In an earlier post, we covered how to enable & configure PIN Complexity Group […] This article How to specify Minimum and Maximum PIN length in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. Specify Minimum Length for BitLocker Startup PIN in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Specify Minimum Length for BitLocker Startup PIN in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Originally, BitLocker allowed from 4 to 20 characters for a PIN. Now, the minimum length for the BitLocker PIN was increased to 6 characters to better align with other Windows features that leverage TPM 2.0. To help organizations with the [...] This post...
  7. minimum password length more than 15?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    minimum password length more than 15?: Hi there, recently I try to setup my company's 10 security policy, one of the key setting is minimum password length in "Local Security Policy" ==> Account Policies ==> Password Policies, there is an parameter "Minimum password Length" in the explain section, it says...
  8. Change BitLocker Startup PIN in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change BitLocker Startup PIN in Windows 10: How to: Change BitLocker Startup PIN in Windows 10 How to Change BitLocker Startup PIN in Windows 10 [img] Information BitLocker Drive Encryption is a data protection feature that integrates with the operating system and addresses the threats of data theft or exposure...
  9. Change Minimum Password Length for Local Accounts in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Minimum Password Length for Local Accounts in Windows 10: How to: Change Minimum Password Length for Local Accounts in Windows 10 How to Change Minimum Password Length for Local Accounts in Windows 10 [img] Information The local account. You can set a value of between 1 and 14 characters, or you can establish that no...
  10. Specify Maximum and Minimum PIN Length in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Specify Maximum and Minimum PIN Length in Windows 10: How to: Specify Maximum and Minimum PIN Length in Windows 10 [img] Information PIN (Personal Identification Number). You can use this PIN to sign in to Windows, apps, and services. One important difference between a password and a Hello PIN is that the PIN is tied to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. PIN LENGTH. PLEASE ENTER MINIMUM 4 DIGIT PIN TO PERFORM

2. change minimum lenght bitlocker pin cmd