Windows 10: Specify when Storage Sense Delete Files in Recycle Bin in Windows 10

Discus and support Specify when Storage Sense Delete Files in Recycle Bin in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Specify when Storage Sense Delete Files in Recycle Bin in Windows 10 How to Specify when Storage Sense Delete Files in Recycle Bin in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Bernard, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Bernard Win User

Specify when Storage Sense Delete Files in Recycle Bin in Windows 10

How to: Specify when Storage Sense Delete Files in Recycle Bin in Windows 10

How to Specify when Storage Sense Delete Files in Recycle Bin in Windows 10

Starting with Storage Sense option in Storage Settings to automatically get rid of the files you dont need to save you an extra step when low on disk space. Currently this is only supported for unused temporary files, files in your recycle bin over 30 days, and files in your Downloads folder that haven't changed for over 30 days.

Starting with Windows 10 build 17720, Storage Sense can now run when your device is low on storage space by default. Once activated, Storage Sense will intelligently run whenever your device runs low on storage space and clear temporary files that your device and applications no longer need.Storage Sense looks for and will remove the following types of files:
    • Temporary setup files
    • Old indexed content
    • System cache files
    • Internet cache files
    • Device Driver packages
    • System downloaded program files
    • Dated system log files
    • System error memory dump files
    • System error minidump files
    • Temporary system files
    • Dated Windows update temporary files
    • …and more.
    When Storage Sense is enabled, it can delete files in the users Recycle Bin if they have been there for over a certain amount of days.

Starting with at least Windows 10 enabled) will delete files in the recycle bin for all users.

This tutorial will show you how to specify when Storage Sense will automatically delete files in the recycle bin for your account or all users in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Specify when Storage Sense Delete Files in Recycle Bin for Current User in Settings
    • Option Two: Specify when Storage Sense Delete Files in Recycle Bin for Current User using a REG file
    • Option Three: Specify when Storage Sense Delete Files in Recycle Bin for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Four: Specify when Storage Sense Delete Files in Recycle Bin for All Users in Registry Editor

OPTION ONE [/i] Specify when Storage Sense Delete Files in Recycle Bin for Current User in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon.

2. Click/tap on Storage on the left side, turn on Storage sense on the right side, and click/tap on the Configure Storage Sense or run it now link. (see screenshot below)

Specify when Storage Sense Delete Files in Recycle Bin in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Under Temporary Files, select Never, 1 day, 14 days, 30 days (default), or 60 days for what you want in the Delete files in my recycle bin if they have been there for over drop down list. (see screenshot below)

4. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Specify when Storage Sense Delete Files in Recycle Bin for Current User using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD values in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\StorageSense\Parameters\StoragePolicy

08 DWORD

0 = Never
    1 = 1, 14, 30, or 60 days

256 DWORD

0 = Never
    1 = 1 day
    e (hex) = 14 days
    1e (hex) = 30 days
    3c (hex) = 60 days

1. Do step 2 (Never), step 3 (1 day), step 4 (14 days), step 5 (30 days), or step 6 (60 days) below for what you want to do.

2. Specify Storage Sense to Never delete files in recycle bin
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 7 below.

Storage_Sense_delete_files_in_Recycle_Bin_Never_for_current_user.reg

Download

3. Specify Storage Sense to delete files in recycle bin if they have been there for over "1 day"
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 7 below.

Storage_Sense_delete_files_in_Recycle_Bin_over_1_day_for_current_user.reg

Download

4. Specify Storage Sense to delete files in recycle bin if they have been there for over "14 days"

Storage_Sense_delete_files_in_Recycle_Bin_over_14_days_for_current_user.reg

Download

5. Specify Storage Sense to delete files in recycle bin if they have been there for over "30 days"
    *note This is the default setting.

Storage_Sense_delete_files_in_Recycle_Bin_over_30_days_for_current_user.reg

Download

6. Specify Storage Sense to delete files in recycle bin if they have been there for over "60 days"

Storage_Sense_delete_files_in_Recycle_Bin_over_60_days_for_current_user.reg

Download
    7. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

8. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

9. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

10. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Specify when Storage Sense Delete Files in Recycle Bin for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor
    *note This option is only available starting with at least Windows 10 build 18282.

You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option

If specified, this option will override Option One and Option Two for all users on the computer.

The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Four.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Storage Sense

3. In the right pane of Storage Sense in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Configure Storage Recycle Bin cleanup threshold policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (specify) or step 6 (default) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Specify when Storage Sense Delete Files in Recycle Bin
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, enter a number between 0 to 365 for how may days you want, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Entering 0 will be for never.

6. Default User Choice for when Storage Sense Delete Files in Recycle Bin
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Specify when Storage Sense Delete Files in Recycle Bin for All Users in Registry Editor
    *note This option is only available starting with at least Windows 10 build 18282.

You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option

If specified, this option will override Option One and Option Two for all users on the computer.

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\StorageSense

*note If you do not have the StorageSense key, right click on the Windows key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type StorageSense for the name, and press Enter.

3. Do step 4 (specify) or step 5 (default) below for what you want to do.

4. To Specify when Storage Sense Delete Files in Recycle Bin
    A) In the right pane of the StorageSense key, double click/tap on the ConfigStorageSenseRecycleBinCleanupThreshold DWORD to modify it. (see screenshot below step 2)

*note If you do not have a ConfigStorageSenseRecycleBinCleanupThreshold DWORD, right click on an empty area in the right pane of the StorageSense key, click/tap on New, click/tap on DWORD (32-bit) Value, type ConfigStorageSenseRecycleBinCleanupThreshold for the name, and press Enter.

B) Select (dot) Decimal, enter a number between 0 to 365 for how may days you want, click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Entering 0 will be for never.

5. Default User Choice for when Storage Sense Delete Files in Recycle Bin
    A) In the right pane of the StorageSense key, right click on the ConfigStorageSenseRecycleBinCleanupThreshold DWORD, and click/tap on Delete. (see screenshot below step 2)

B) Click/tap on Yes to confirm, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

6. You can now close Registry Editor if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Bernard, Aug 1, 2015
  2. Jan Del Win User

recycle bin

Hi George,

To prevent your files from being deleted from the Recycle Bin, we suggest increasing the maximum file size your Recycle Bin can keep by following the steps below:

• Right click on the Recycle Bin icon.
    • Under the Settings for selected location, select Custom size.
    • Fill up the box for your allotted maximum file size for your Recycle Bin.
    Let us know if you need further assistance.

Jan Del, Oct 27, 2019
  3. What is STORAGE SENSE?

Hello Taffy087,

Storage Sense has been around since Windows 10 build 15014, and updated in build 17720.

Storage Sense basically allows you to automatically delete the specified content in its settings to help free up space on the hard drive. Think of it like an automated Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr.exe).

The tutorials below can help provide more details about Storage Sense if you like:

Turn On or Off Storage Sense Automatically Free Up Space in Windows 10

Enable or Disable Storage Sense in Windows 10

Specify when to Run Storage Sense in Windows 10

Automatically Make OneDrive Files On-Demand Online-only in Windows 10

Free Up Disk Space Now with Storage Sense in Windows 10

Shawn Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Specify when Storage Sense Delete Files in Recycle Bin in Windows 10

Storage Sense only working on OS drive

I have 2 SSD drives connected via SATA cable to the motherboard. Both are detected as internal drives.

On storage sense I activated the option to delete files on the recycle bin that are older than 30 days. Storage sense is only deleting files on the recycle bin of the OS drive and the recycle bin of the other drive stays untouched. I tried changing to 1
    day and files on the recycle bin from the secondary drive stay untouched. I tried running storage sense manually and the same problem.

Is this a normal behavior or is it a bug? I've got windows 10 1803 17134.472.

Ricardo3m_, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Winndows 10 delete multiple files or folders do not show in recycle bin

Hi R-A-M-A-I-R,

We appreciate you for being a part of Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need more information to help you better.

• Where is the folder located? Is it on your primary hard drive where the Windows 10 is installed/ secondary hard drive/ external hard drives like flash drive etc.?(which you have deleted accidentally)

• Since when you are facing this issue?

• Have you enabled the option “Don’t move files to Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted” under the Recycle Bin properties?
    Until you will get back to us, you may follow the below suggestions and check if it helps.

This happens when you permanently delete a file from your computer without sending it to the Recycle Bin by clicking the file and then pressing
    Shift + Delete keys on the keyboard.

Try the steps and check whether this issue is happening with all folders in computer or particular folders to isolate the issue.

• Open the Desktop, right click on the empty area and click on
      New and then click on Folder.

• Now, new folder might have been created on your desktop.

• Right click on your New folder (which you have created) and click on
      Delete.

• Now, open the Recycle bin and check if you are able to see the folder which you have deleted.
    You may disable the steps if you have enabled the option “Don’t move files to Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted” in Recycle bin folder.

• Open the Desktop, locate the Recycle bin, right click on it and select
      Properties.

• Select the drive on which you are facing this issue (like C:\ or D:\ or F:\ etc.)

• Click on Custom size option instead of “Don’t move files to Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted

• Check the box Display delete confirmation dialog.

• Click on Apply and OK buttons.

• Reboot the computer and check if it helps.
    I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Bree Win User
    Cant view deleted files in Windows 10 Recycle bin

An added complication is that there isn't just one big recycle bin. Actually each user account has their own recycle bin identifies by an SID. When you click on 'Recycle bin' you can only see the contents of your own bin, you are denied access to the others.

Worse still, as you no longer have the accounts that had access to the old drive's recycle bin none of them are accessible. There are however 3rd-party tools that can list the contents of all the recycle bins. Typically these are used for forensic analysis.

Rifiuti2

Thema:

1. Specify when Storage Sense Delete Files in Recycle Bin in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Specify Storage Sense

2. Storage sense not working properly doesn't delete files from recycle bin that has been...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage sense not working properly doesn't delete files from recycle bin that has been...: I have configured my Storage sense to delete files from Recycle Bin if they have been there for 60 days or more. However, after one manual run where it deleted a measly 876 Mb out of a few terabytes, it now claims "We couldn't free up any more disk space", despite the fact...
  3. Storage sense not working properly doesn't delete files from recycle bin that has been...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage sense not working properly doesn't delete files from recycle bin that has been...: I have configured my Storage sense to delete files from Recycle Bin if they have been there for 60 days or more. However, after one manual run where it deleted a measly 876 Mb out of a few terabytes, it now claims "We couldn't free up any more disk space", despite the fact...
  4. Storage sense not working properly doesn't delete files from recycle bin that has been...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Storage sense deleting files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Storage sense deleting files: I know I'm asking this question again but it is because I want more clarity. So, the problem is my c drive was almost full like 114.5/118 GB occupied and my recycle bin was empty. I deleted a zip file that I downloaded from google drive from downloads folder, it was of size...
  6. Storage sense deleting files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Storage sense deleting files: My c drive was almost full like only 4.5 GB was free and my recycle bin was empty then I deleted a downloaded zip file from downloads folder and later after some time saw that my recycle bin was empty. My storage sense was on would run when on low disk space and set to delete...
  7. DELETE ALL FILES IN RECYCLE BIN, OR DELETE RECYCLE BIN ITSELF

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    DELETE ALL FILES IN RECYCLE BIN, OR DELETE RECYCLE BIN ITSELF: HOW CAN I DELETE ALL FILES IN RECYCLE BIN, OR DELETE "recycle bin" ITSELF? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-all-files-in-recycle-bin-or-delete-recycle/eb83336a-44d1-47be-b51a-808eb6cbfc16
  8. Deleted Recycle Bin files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleted Recycle Bin files: I deleted some files from the recycle bin permanently a few months ago and I now realized that I need them. I’ve downloaded a few apps to recover these files but they all retrieved random stuff that weren’t my files. What are the best free online applications that will help...
  9. Specify Storage Sense Delete Files in Downloads Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Specify Storage Sense Delete Files in Downloads Folder in Windows 10: How to: Specify Storage Sense Delete Files in Downloads Folder in Windows 10 How to Specify when Storage Sense Delete Files in Downloads Folder in Windows 10 Starting with Storage Sense option in Storage Settings to automatically get rid of the files you dont need to...
  10. Specify when to Run Storage Sense in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Specify when to Run Storage Sense in Windows 10: How to: Specify when to Run Storage Sense in Windows 10 How to Specify when to Run Storage Sense in Windows 10 Starting with Storage Sense option in Storage Settings to automatically get rid of the files you dont need to save you an extra step when low on disk space....