Windows 10: Spectre & Meltdown patches ruined it for me!

Discus and support Spectre & Meltdown patches ruined it for me! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Well as the title says the Spectre & Meltdown patches ruined the good experience I was having with my PC and it now feels like I am using a very old... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rezpower, Mar 18, 2018.

1. rezpower Win User

Spectre & Meltdown patches ruined it for me!

Well as the title says the Spectre & Meltdown patches ruined the good experience I was having with my PC and it now feels like I am using a very old and out of date laptop. I must agree that my laptop is pretty old (HP Elitebook 8770W 5 years old). But I really never felt that it was slow and that I was missing something. Laptop would boot in few seconds to windows 10 and all programs would run instantaneously. After the patches it feels lagy and slow.

I know many of us are on the same boat and I am not writing this to whine, but to get advice on the upcoming questions.

I got first the Microsoft patch with the Cumulative Update and few days ago HP finally sent me an e-mail telling me that a bios update was ready for my pc. The real slowdown started after the Bios patch.

InSpectre tell me that my computer speed is slow and offer to disable the meltdown and spectre protection. Doing this gives a significant boost to the PC.
    What I want to know is how unwise can it be to disable these protections for a non professional PC running on the internet? I also wish I didn't update the bios. I wonder is there is a way to reflash the bios to its previous state. What is the best solution for people like me to minimize the security issues without having an obsolete computer?

:)

rezpower, Mar 18, 2018
  2. Pixelme Win User

Windows Update Intel Patches for Meltdown & Spectre

URGENT - Please Microsoft:

1. Provide a List of Windows Updates that included the (bad) Intel Patches for Meltdown & Spectre (which Intel now say should NOT be installed).

2. Advise IF (and HOW) the Windows Updates that included (bad) Intel Patches for Meltdown & Spectre should be 'removed' by End Users?

3. If Microsoft Identifies (to it's Community) Windows Updates that included (bad) Intel Patches, can Users remove them - while still getting any other 'fixes' (that did NOT relate to Meltdown & Spectre) included in the Same Windows Updates that contained
    the (bad) Patches for Meltdown & Spectre?

4. How do Users ensure that ant Windows Updates they remove - to 'eject' the (bad) Intel Patch for Meltdown & Spectre - are not 'automatically' re-installed' later - by Automatic Windows Updates, when Windows notices the 'removed updates' are not installed?

Note: I've looked at the Microsoft.com Descriptions of Numerous Recent Windows Updates and (although some refer to 'security') none seem to specifically mention Intel, Meltdown or Spectre - so I can't determine which Windows Updates included the 'bad' Intel
    Patches.

Pixelme, Mar 18, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Spectre and meltdown

Hi CMC69, below is a link that provides a list of the patches released and possibly installed on your system for Spectre and Meltdown:

https://www.techarp.com/guides/microsoft-spectr...

If these are installed, you can uninstall these from Control Panel - Programs and Features - View Installed Updates . . .

DaveM121, Mar 18, 2018
  4. zbook New Member
  5. Plankton Win User
    Are you sure your CPU is one that needs the BIOS patch? My PC is a custom build, a little over 2 years old and my CPU is not affected by the Spectre & Meltdown bug.

My cpu; i7 4790K devils canyon.

Wow...just rechecked....now my CPU is listed as affected. WTH!

Plankton, Mar 18, 2018
  6. rezpower Win User
    @zbook Thanks for the links. Much appreciated *Smile I will read and watch all this and get back. Hopefully it will help me be in a better situation then what I am in right now!

@Plankton My CPU is "Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz" and unfortunately needed the patch *Sad

rezpower, Mar 18, 2018
  7. rezpower Win User
    I followed the instructions to rollback the bios. A page opens saying that a bios recovery has been started with no other option then pressing enter or waiting. In both cases pc restarts and the bios remain the same version *Sad

rezpower, Mar 18, 2018
  8. Spectre & Meltdown patches ruined it for me!

Hi,
    I just leave both disabled *Smile

ThrashZone, Mar 18, 2018
  9. rezpower Win User
    Yeah that's what I have just done and the pc seems to be in much better shape. I wonder how much the bios patch has affected it though!?
    It's really unfair that this issue make us put hands in the pocket and buy a new pc *Sad I bought mine for 2900 euros and don't really feel like spending again for now.

rezpower, Mar 18, 2018
  10. Hi,
    Intel should be rebating use a lot of money the way I see it *Smile

ThrashZone, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Spectre & Meltdown patches ruined it for me!

1. Spectre & Meltdown patches ruined it for me! - Similar Threads - Spectre Meltdown patches

2. How to disable Downfall patch and Meltdown/Spectre patch together

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable Downfall patch and Meltdown/Spectre patch together: As you know, MS just release a method to disable Downfall patchhttps://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5029778-how-to-manage-the-vulnerability-associated-with-cve-2022-40982-d461157c-0411-4a91-9fc5-9b29e0fe2782Registry location:...
  3. How to disable Downfall patch and Meltdown/Spectre patch together

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable Downfall patch and Meltdown/Spectre patch together: As you know, MS just release a method to disable Downfall patchhttps://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5029778-how-to-manage-the-vulnerability-associated-with-cve-2022-40982-d461157c-0411-4a91-9fc5-9b29e0fe2782Registry location:...
  4. Spectre and Meltdown not enabling.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Spectre and Meltdown not enabling.: Hi, a couple of days ago I disabled Spectre and Meltdown on my Windows 11 22H2 Laptop and now I am trying to enable it again but I can't seem to get it to work. I have tried using a app called "InSpectre" to enable it but it didn't work and i also changed a couple of registry...
  5. Do Spectre/Meltdown patches for windows 10 affect me ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do Spectre/Meltdown patches for windows 10 affect me ?: I have heard that Spectre/Meltdown patches for Windows 10 result in performance hit for certain processors. I have 5 PCs with the following processors:I7-7700KI5-6500I7-7700HQI7-4800MQM5-6Y57Am I affected ?Does Windows 11 have these patches as well and do they result in...
  6. Do Spectre/Meltdown patches for windows 10 affect me ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Do Spectre/Meltdown patches for windows 10 affect me ?: I have heard that Spectre/Meltdown patches for Windows 10 result in performance hit for certain processors. I have 5 PCs with the following processors:I7-7700KI5-6500I7-7700HQI7-4800MQM5-6Y57Am I affected ?Does Windows 11 have these patches as well and do they result in...
  7. Do Spectre/Meltdown patches for windows 10 affect me ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. spectre and meltdown

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    spectre and meltdown: After installed windows 10 1809 from 1709. I haven't perform any bios/uefi update except windows update. But inspectre program says microcode update available: yes instead of no. not to mention last time I performed bios/uefi update about 2 years ago. I'm...
  9. GRC InSpectre Shows Meltdown and Spectre Patched??

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    GRC InSpectre Shows Meltdown and Spectre Patched??: GRC InSpectre Shows Meltdown and Spectre Patched? Re: Doesn't One of These Patches Require Flashing The Bios? I did not run Gibson's InSpectre some three weeks or so ago when I was unceremoniously updated from 1703 to 1709. I thought that either Meltdown or Spectre patches...
  10. Freeze after meltdown/spectre patch ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Freeze after meltdown/spectre patch ?: So after arriving home from holidays I noticed windows was installing the latest patches including the one for the recently discovered vulnerabilities. After 1-3 days problems started to appear, my computer would randomly freeze, first I wouldnt be able to click anything,...