Windows 10: Spectre mitigations in MSVC

Discus and support Spectre mitigations in MSVC in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft is aware of a new publicly disclosed class of vulnerabilities, called “speculative execution side-channel attacks,” that affect many... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Spectre mitigations in MSVC

Source: Spectre mitigations in MSVC | Visual C++ Team Blog

:)

Brink, Jan 15, 2018
  2. 5c66d81a-1cc8-4430-ba2e-a43be2595fdb, Jan 15, 2018
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    Windows freeze

If those other fixes don't work, try this:

2018 01 29- KB 4078130- UPDATE TO DISABLE MITIGATION AGAINST SPECTRE, VARIANT 2 – INTEL BUG

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/407813...

Check Update History to confirm you have KB 4078130 installed. Rather than uninstalling KB4054892, which fixed other problems as well as creating the reboot problem (and others), MS has created KB4078130 to fix the problems/

Rohn007, Jan 15, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

Here's a great follow-up piece from Windows Insider MVP Aryeh Goretsky of ESET on vendors offering responses to (and in some cases firmware updates for) Spectre/Meltdown vulnerabilities: https://www.welivesecurity.com/2018/...ities/#Vendors. Great stuff!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 15, 2018
Thema:

1. Spectre mitigations in MSVC - Similar Threads - Spectre mitigations MSVC

2. Microsoft publishes new Registry mitigation for Intel processors (Spectre)

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft publishes new Registry mitigation for Intel processors (Spectre): About six years ago, vulnerabilities were discovered that affected most Intel and AMD processors. The vulnerabilities, Spectre and Meltdown, can be exploited to read sensitive data from attacked computer systems. Intel released an update for one of the Spectre variants,...
  3. MSVC++

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MSVC++: Hi,I am trying to update a Mailbird application and keep getting this messageI found about a dozed of MSVC redistributables from 2005 to 2015 installed on my PC. Could they be a problem? Can I safely remove uninstall them and then try to install the latest one?Thank you...
  4. MSVC++

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MSVC++: Hi,I am trying to update a Mailbird application and keep getting this messageI found about a dozed of MSVC redistributables from 2005 to 2015 installed on my PC. Could they be a problem? Can I safely remove uninstall them and then try to install the latest one?Thank you...
  5. MSVC++

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Mitigating Spectre variant 2 with Retpoline on Windows

in Windows 10 News
    Mitigating Spectre variant 2 with Retpoline on Windows: In January 2018, Microsoft released an advisory and security updates related to a newly discovered class of hardware vulnerabilities involving speculative execution side channels (known as Spectre and Meltdown) that affect AMD, ARM, and Intel CPUs to varying degrees. If you...
  7. Can Spectre, Meltdown etc mitigations be bypassed?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can Spectre, Meltdown etc mitigations be bypassed?: I noticed Chrome have updated their browser with a 'new security feature' that will keep users safe from Spectre etc, however it will use 10-13% more RAM because of the increased number of processes running in real time. With this in mind - I know Microsoft has said that...
  8. Can Spectre, Meltdown etc mitigations be bypassed?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can Spectre, Meltdown etc mitigations be bypassed?: I noticed Chrome have updated their browser with a 'new security feature' that will keep users safe from Spectre etc, however it will use 10-13% more RAM because of the increased number of processes running in real time. With this in mind - I know Microsoft has said that...
  9. KB4078130 Update to Disable Mitigation against Spectre, Variant 2

in Windows 10 News
    KB4078130 Update to Disable Mitigation against Spectre, Variant 2: Critical Update to Disable Mitigation against Spectre, Variant 2 Applies to: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Windows 10 Version 1511, Windows 10 Version 1607, Windows 10 Version 1703, Windows 10 version 1709, Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, Windows...
  10. Understanding performance impact of Spectre and Meltdown mitigations

in Windows 10 News
    Understanding performance impact of Spectre and Meltdown mitigations: Last week the technology industry and many of our customers learned of new vulnerabilities in the hardware chips that power phones, PCs and servers. We (and others in the industry) had learned of this vulnerability under nondisclosure agreement several months ago and...