Windows 10: Spinning Dots at Boot Up

Discus and support Spinning Dots at Boot Up in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have win 10 x64 on a Dell XPS 8700. It had Win 8.1. Been on Win 10 since release. Today my son went to reboot the computer and at boot, just got... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rinconmike, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Spinning Dots at Boot Up

I have win 10 x64 on a Dell XPS 8700. It had Win 8.1. Been on Win 10 since release. Today my son went to reboot the computer and at boot, just got spinning dots. He turned it off, same thing. Got to a diagnostic and it said it could not repair. So I decided to use Acronis 2016 to restore the weekly image from Sunday. Acronis said restore was successful, but same thing, Just spinning dots under the dell logo.

Any Ideas?

:)

rinconmike, Sep 22, 2015

2. Windows 10 stuck at spinning dots

so when I tried to boot up and power on Windows I am greeted by the hp logo and spinning dots, after a while the hp logo disappears and the spinning dots just stay there but however when the hp logo disappears the spinning dots spin at a lower frame
    rate and the screen gets brighter. It just stays like this and I don't know what to do I can't get the system to work

angelohuang_982, Sep 22, 2015
  3. windows 10 does not load, stuck at preparing automatic repair, ISO does not work just windows logo and spinning dots , any fix ?

I have tried several times. I have changed the boot order in the bios and have gotten to boot from usb stick , but only get the windows logo and dots spinning in a circle. The iso does not do anything other than give the windows logo and keeps on with the
    spinning dots. Same with preparing automatic

repair, I get the HP logo with preparing automatic repair and the spinning dots and it does nothing else does not go to diagnosing your pc. I have tried booting from dvd with ISO on it and get nothing but HP logo and spinning dots.

nightrodder50, Sep 22, 2015
  4. Spinning Dots at Boot Up

i just did a reset and now same thing is happening. I am at a loss.

rinconmike, Sep 22, 2015
  5. Spent the night working on this and no luck.

First, the drive is a Samsung 850 SSD (256GB). I upgraded to that shortly after I got the system in Arpil. I still have the original dell drive with 8.1 on it. So I tried booting to that and it boot fine. So I do not think this is a hardware issue.

I tried restoring two different acronis images to the SSD thinking one might be bad. Both said succeeded but the same issue happens with the spinning dots. I also tried restoring to a new hard drive (instead of SSD a 2TB I have) and same thing.

I put the SSD in another computer and with the Samsung Magician software it said the drive is fine. There was a firmware update for it so I updated the firmware. I also wiped the drive using diskpart (clean command) to delete the EUFI partition thinking why not at this point. I have not tried another restore yet.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks

rinconmike, Sep 22, 2015
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Have you tried a clean install? Could have been that the boot manager was/is corrupt.. A lot of people that used Acronis have reported problems with it's imaging saying ok good, but upon re-image it sometimes fails or corrupts in Windows 8 & 10. Try using Macrium, Reflect Free. Reflect also has a built in boot repair in the WinPE recovery environment, should something happen.

Cliff S, Sep 22, 2015
  7. Thanks for the reply. I am pulling my hair out on this.

I have not tried a clean install. do I need to go back to win 8.1 first and then upgrade?

I find it odd that i got the issue of the spinning dots and then the re-image the same thing. I am wondering if something else is going on. If acronis failed, I would assume the might be some other type of issue. Also, I tried using the reset with keeping my files but had the same results.

FYI, I did use acronis with win 8.1 when I go the new SSD to go from the HD to SSD.

rinconmike, Sep 22, 2015
  8. Cliff S New Member

Spinning Dots at Boot Up

If 10 was already activated- no. You will be aske 3 times to give the key code, just: 1. skip 2.skip. 3. Do this later, then when windows is finished installing and you have an internet connection it will reactivate automatically, you'll see this in settings>update and security>activation.

If there boot manager was corrupt and it was not a Full disk image & just the os partition that might explain the problem,

Cliff S, Sep 22, 2015
  9. thanks. I did do a full disk image with all partitions. I guess I will try a clean install. I need to find where to download.

rinconmike, Sep 22, 2015
  10. Cliff S New Member
    Cliff S, Sep 22, 2015
  11. thanks, I just tried another reset this time not to save any of my files and the same thing is happening. Very Frustrating.

rinconmike, Sep 22, 2015
  12. Cliff S New Member
    I don't use reset or system restore, just Macrium. Which incidentally also has the option to create not only the recovery USB, but also a recovery boot menu option, and on my 840 Pro recovery takes only about 7 minute then(SATA 3 SSD being much faster than a USB 3.0.*Smile

Cliff S, Sep 22, 2015
  13. Spinning Dots at Boot Up

thanks again. I will look at mcrium in the future, but still hoping to figure why this happened and get my acronis images to restore. It happened out of the blue.

rinconmike, Sep 22, 2015
  14. How long are you waiting? When I first installed 10 those spinning dots were there for me for about 15-20 min.

Bobby Phoenix, Sep 22, 2015
  15. First time this happened I waited around 10 minutes. Windows 10 had been installed since release so this was out of nowhere. Just after a normal reboot. Then I got into trying to reset/restore, etc....

Last night after a restore with acronis i let it be until this morning so that was around 5 or 6 hours. Now I just did reset and it has been around 15 or 20 minutes.

rinconmike, Sep 22, 2015
Thema:

Spinning Dots at Boot Up

1. Spinning Dots at Boot Up - Similar Threads - Spinning Dots Boot

2. Spinning dots during start up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Spinning dots during start up: I have a nextbook 10.1 2 in 1 and I cant get rid of the spinning dots. I tried restarting 3 or more times to get to safe mode but it didnt go.What can I do now? Im getting frustrated. I need to get this fixed before my classes start. PLEASE HELP ME!...
  3. Windows 10 Booting Without spinning dots

Windows 10 Booting Without spinning dots: when i turn on my laptop when windows is starting up i see the logo but the spinning dots don’t appear but it still boots into windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-booting-without-spinning-dots/08b0d5d4-5c79-4e1e-8920-c4320c895db8
  4. Boot freezes at spinning dots

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Boot freezes at spinning dots: As the title says I am currently having an issue with my Win10 computer where whenever I try to boot it up it goes to the spinning dots under the company logo of the MB manufacturer and as soon as the dots appear it freezes. If I force automatic repair the exact same happens...
  5. Spinning dots on Windows 10 Boot !HELP!

Spinning dots on Windows 10 Boot !HELP!: Hey all, looking for support with this one so I can get back to enjoying my computer during isolation! For the past 3 days my desktop computer has been stuck on the Windows 10 boot screen with the windows logo with spinning dots, and also sometimes just a black screen with...
  6. Spinning dots

Spinning dots: My computer I use for my classes stated Microsoft update was due. So I waited and it auto restarted and did the update. Now all I have is spinning dots. That is it. All my student's information is on that computer plus their pictures and other events they have participated...
  7. spinning dots

in Windows 10 Customization
    spinning dots: let me start by saying that my laptop is working perfectly, and windows 10 is working perfectly. I turn on the laptop, it's a Dell. I get the Dell logo screen as it posts. the screen blinks and the dell logo comes back on with the spinning dots. I want to change that...
  8. Windows 10 boot stuck on spinning dots

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 boot stuck on spinning dots: Hey, so to start with, I have a gaming pc and a mac. My macs hardrive (bootcamped windows 10) wasnt working. So to test if its still alive, I plugged it into my gaming pc (set it as my first boot option) to see if itll boot.. and it did. The issue arises when I unplug...
  9. Spinning Dots at Boot Up, yet again

in Windows 10 Support
    Spinning Dots at Boot Up, yet again: Hey all. I'm also experiencing the spinning dots at boot up. Interesting note because I haven't seen it mentioned before, but at one point I do hear the logon screen jingle , but still the dots spin. I read a bunch and here I picked up on the cmos battery tip, where...
  10. Booting sysprep cloned image to spinning dots

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Booting sysprep cloned image to spinning dots: hi. So I have imaged a Windows 10 HE that I have sysprep /generalize to OOBE on virtualbox. And written back that image (YES disk image not vm disk, don't ask me how) to my HP Stream 10 netbook. After fixing issue with the boot process, it boots now to the HP logo and...