Windows 10: Spotlight is broken

Discus and support Spotlight is broken in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi there! Windows Spotlight seems to be broken in my system. I already tried the tutorial here to reset the feature (Reset and Re-register Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by djdelarosa25, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Spotlight is broken

Hi there! Windows Spotlight seems to be broken in my system. I already tried the tutorial here to reset the feature (Reset and Re-register Windows Spotlight in Windows 10), but it doesn't work. Every time I choose "Windows Spotlight" as the lock screen, click the back arrow, and click "Lock screen" again check to see if it works, it reverts back to "Picture". This is getting really frustrating. Please help

:)

djdelarosa25, Oct 30, 2017

2. Windows 10 Version 1709-Blank Lock Screen

Hello,

Check if you set Lock Screen to Windows Spotlight? It might be possible Windows Spotlight is unable to pull new images and is broken after update.

Regards.

Kapil Arya MVP, Oct 30, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Spotlight

Nothing has worked, Spotlight is still broken. I've read all responses and tried several things. I give up and it will just have to stay broken. Thanks all

SerenityLong, Oct 30, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Spotlight is broken

dalchina, Oct 30, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Like @dalchina, I've found it (all too) easy to break.

It may not be Spotlight in this case, it may be something in your user profile. I've found when it's broken it can still be working for other user accounts.

Spotlight seems to work better in the Fall Creators Update (1709). For the first time ever it's now setting the sign in screen to the Spotlight image on a cold start or a restart (1703 and before showed 'the cave').

It's still fragile though. I've already had to Reset and Re-register Windows Spotlight in Windows 10 once or twice.

6. I created a new user account and that fixed the problem. This is actually the second time that I have encountered this, and both times, making a new user account remedied the issue.

Windows and its bugs...

djdelarosa25, Oct 31, 2017
  7. AntJac Win User
    @Bree just curious here did you have to reset Spotlight since the latest update? Mine has been working fine since then but the past few days it's reverted back to the default picture (the red house on a cliff). Must be the default one as there's no option to like it or change it. It hasn't changed yet so wondering if it's broken or just taking its time to change

AntJac, Nov 11, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

Spotlight is broken

As I said earlier, since I got the Fall Creators Update (1709, os build 16299.19) Spotlight, while it now sets the sign in screen to the Spotlight picture consistently, it has also stopped working once or twice for no obvious reason (I use a metered connection, perhaps that's part of it?). Brink's tutorial always fixes it though...
    ...make that three times now.

9. AntJac Win User
    Ah sorry misread the post. I'm not on metered connection and it's stopped working. I'll give it another few days then try the fix

AntJac, Nov 11, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    The metered connection may not be connected, Spotlight won't download new pictures over a metered connection, but it will continue to change pictures until it runs out of ones it as already downloaded. On 1703 I would then turn off metering, let it collect a few more, then turn metering back on.

Since 1709 something seems to randomly stops Spotlight working, it may (or may not) be connected to running out of new pictures - it may be something else entirely. There's no pattern I've been able to find (yet).

11. AntJac Win User
    Ah right. At first I thought the new default picture was a different Spotlight one. It's only when I realised I couldn't see the "Do you like what you see" popup in the top right corner that I realised they must have done away with the red plane

AntJac, Nov 11, 2017
  12. AntJac Win User
    Mine sprang back into life this morning after about four days on the default red cottage picture

AntJac, Nov 12, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

Spotlight is broken

Interesting, maybe mine would have sprung back to life If I had just left it to its own devices for a week - I'll wait and see next time. It's certainly the case that even after a reset/reregister it can take several minutes before it springs to life.

BTW, I don't think I've ever seen a 'red cottage' picture. On all my machines, for 1709 the default picture now seems to be a lake in the mountains, replacing 'the cave'. That's C:\Windows\Web\Screen\img103.png instead of img100.png

14. AntJac Win User
  15. Bree New Member
    I've now found one 'obvious reason' that stops Spotlight working and reverts to the default 'mountains and lake' picture (for a while anyway, it started working again after 5-10 minutes).

I have just booted to Advanced Start-up from Settings > Update & security > Recovery. On the next boot to normal Windows Spotlight didn't work at first.

Thema:

Spotlight is broken

1. Spotlight is broken - Similar Threads - Spotlight broken

2. Globe Icon in Windows 11 Lock Screen Spotlight Broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Globe Icon in Windows 11 Lock Screen Spotlight Broken: I recently installed .NET Framework 3.5 to use a program that requires it.Ever since the globe icon on the lock screen is broken. The camera icon on the top right is displayed fine.I've deleted and reinstalled the .NET Framework 3.5 since the problem started, but no change.It...
  3. Globe Icon in Windows 11 Lock Screen Spotlight Broken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Globe Icon in Windows 11 Lock Screen Spotlight Broken: I recently installed .NET Framework 3.5 to use a program that requires it.Ever since the globe icon on the lock screen is broken. The camera icon on the top right is displayed fine.I've deleted and reinstalled the .NET Framework 3.5 since the problem started, but no change.It...
  4. Windows Spotlight Broken in Version 2004

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Spotlight Broken in Version 2004: As the title says, Windows Spotlight hasn't changed images in about a week, and doesn't show any of the info icons that you can click on. I followed instructions online to reset it, like deleting settings.lok and roaming.lok files, and deleting all the files in the assets...
  5. Windows Spotlight broken

Windows Spotlight broken: [ATTACH] Since I updated to Windows 10.0.19041, Windows Spotlight stopped working, instead of a image it just shows a solid color (the other options such as Image still works)...
  6. Windows 10 spotlight is still broken and there is no fix

Windows 10 spotlight is still broken and there is no fix: Yes it sticks on one image, it does not change and it cannot be stopped. After reboot the stuck image always reappears regardless of user settings. There are more search results for this than I have time to look at but they all say the same things, the answers are always the...
  7. Help - Windows Spotlight broken? Won't remain selected. Also, Windows Spotlight lock screen...

Help - Windows Spotlight broken? Won't remain selected. Also, Windows Spotlight lock screen...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Sports4life8 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fhoqul/help_windows_spotlight_broken_wont_remain/
  8. Windows Spotlight Broken by Jan2020 update. Broken yet again by MS.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Spotlight Broken by Jan2020 update. Broken yet again by MS.: Cumulative update Jan2020 for 1909 installed and now Windows Spotlight does not download pictures for lock screen. It just shows first picture from my pictures one with lake in mountains on all 5 of my PCs. Even if I do this:Go into the Settings App - Personalisation -...
  9. Spotlight now broken on all PC's

Spotlight now broken on all PC's: Spotlight has just stopped working on all my PC's (1 desktop and two laptops). The three systems got upgraded from version 1809 about 4 weeks ago and Spotlight worked fine before and after (the desktop PC is brand new and came with 1809 preinstalled). They are all currently...
  10. Spotlight now broken on all PC's

Spotlight now broken on all PC's: Spotlight has just stopped working on all my PC's (1 desktop and two laptops). The three systems got upgraded from version 1809 about 4 weeks ago and Spotlight worked fine before and after (the desktop PC is brand new and came with 1809 preinstalled). They are all currently...