Windows 10: Spring & Fall Update Issues (Win10 Pro)

Discus and support Spring & Fall Update Issues (Win10 Pro) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hear me out on this. I recently bit the bullet an installed the Fall Update (v1709) by doing so I had all sorts of event viewer errors (that I had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tazmo8448, Nov 30, 2017.

1. tazmo8448 Win User

Spring & Fall Update Issues (Win10 Pro)

Hear me out on this.
    I recently bit the bullet an installed the Fall Update (v1709) by doing so I had all sorts of event viewer errors (that I had pretty much straightened out with v1703) trying for several days to resolve these issues (besides the EV errors,DCOM, Miracast etc) like in settings that were grayed out with the ''some settings are hidden or managed by your organization'' that were not present with v1703 (ex: Lock Screen grayed out, Feedback & diagnostics, Privacy grayed out just to name a few) plus the fact the system seemed sluggish overall. What got me is I am the Administrator an belong to no organization...did windows somehow think I was on Enterprise or some such thing?
    I got fed up an reinstalled v1703 the system went back to being 'perky or snappy' again no Miracast errors no DCOM errors no settings grayed out. What's the deal on this behavior any ideas?

:)

tazmo8448, Nov 30, 2017
  2. neilpzz Win User

Creators Update should be called Windows 11

You could well be right with the terminology. MS have determined that Windows 10 will be the last number for their OS. This will receive two major (feature) updates during the year, in spring and fall. The Creators update v1703 was the spring update and
    the Fall Creators update v1709 is the fall update. (this is just an example for 2017)

There are previous large updates for 2016. But this is something we will have to get used to.

neilpzz, Nov 30, 2017
  3. abbb9988 Win User
    Will Spring Creator's Update Fix Issues With Fall Creator's Update Version 1709?

I've been having major issues with the most recent Windows update (version 1709), particularly with my WiFi IP addresses not existing to Windows. Does Microsoft know about the issues with the most recent update? Will it fix the issues I'm having? Any idea
    when the resease date of the next update will be? My laptop is entirely unusable without Internet so I'm hoping it will get fixed soon.

abbb9988, Nov 30, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Hello there. I see you have a custom built tower. What did you originally install on it pre-1703? Did you update to 1709 via windows update or clean install? Do you use 3rd party maintenance software including a Registry cleaner?

Yes, there are only two editions that will have that phrase. Enterprise or Insider.

Tony K, Nov 30, 2017
  5. tazmo8448 Win User
    I originally had W7 Pro on an SSD (that I just unplugged from an older HP CTE) put it in the new build, then did the free update in 8/2015, got the new bare bone build up an running, then after a few months of running Win10 Pro (using the Media Tool .iso) I then did a fresh install. I've kept all the .iso's on an external hard drive just in case I have to revert. I've only reverted back to Redstone 2 after trying the Redstone 3 or Fall Update due to all the issues. I was using the version numbers as a short way to explain which ones I was talking about. Each an every install an update since the fresh install has shown my OS to be Windows 10 Pro.
    The first time I did the Fall Update I did it thru windows update had issues so I got the .iso then did a 'refresh' keeping my apps & settings an still had issues. I have been loath to do another complete fresh install due to all the programs I have in the OS's registry files not to mention documents an such even though they are on separate hard drives (4) they all have some sort of references in the C:/drive OS...it would take many hours to start all over again. I think I know where this is leading that my issue is to do a complete fresh install of the OS.

tazmo8448, Nov 30, 2017
  6. Tony K Win User
    And all of these 10 OSs activated? Not making a judgement call here. It's your business. It seems to me you may have violated the EULA when you placed the SSD from the HP into your new build. Assuming the HP's W7 was an OEM license. That's what may be haunting you is that OEM license. The server sees that and may restrict the OS this time around.

Tony K, Nov 30, 2017
  7. tazmo8448 Win User
    You may be on to something there.
    Checking activation thru settings it says 'Windows is activated with a digital license' an yes my original OS was thru HP an come to think of it I had a lot of run around back in W7 days. HP would say go to MS, MS would say go to HP. I would say you guys sold it to HP, MS would hem an haw then give me those 5 sets of 5 alpha-numeric strings to re-activate when times called for it. I remember going thru that months prior to the W10 update process on the bare bones build.

tazmo8448, Nov 30, 2017
  8. Tony K Win User

If it has digital license, then that may not be the problem.

As much as I know it's a PITA, that may be the solution. More often than not a feature update drags along broken code. As an Insider, I had an update that didn't load all the code, but yet ran. A system image repair fixed it. You may want to try and repair it before taking drastic measures.

Tony K, Nov 30, 2017
  9. tazmo8448 Win User
    Isn't a refresh the same as a system image repair? Both use the .iso right?

tazmo8448, Nov 30, 2017
  10. Superfly Win User
    FWIW.. I too had all kinds of strange issues with an upgrade to FCU... Clean installed and all good. Still, I don't get this tho' -- btw I don't mess with Gpedit -- but have this "managed by your organization" crap

Spring & Fall Update Issues (Win10 Pro) [​IMG]

Just to be clear... I'm not on Insider and this is not a mobile device - Updates are not blocked.

Superfly, Nov 30, 2017
  11. Tony K Win User
    Tony K, Nov 30, 2017
  12. tazmo8448 Win User
    @ Superfly yeah I'm perplexed at what windows thinks too..I am the Admin am not with any organization (personal PC) yet things come with that same caveat...weird.
    @ HippieGypsie I've done those DISM things when I had FUD installed... ..did the 'refresh' with the FUD .ISO mounted.
    I've also run startup repair from windows boot (although I had no startup issues at the time) tried all those things with the FUD (1709) to no avail an by no avail I mean all the 'hidden management' deals, nor did it stop all the Miracast & DCOM error events. I fiddled with all sorts of tips & tricks googling Miracast & DCOM errors, deleting things in registry (EndOfLIfe) taking DCOM GUID & AppID ownership that all seemed to make matters worse in FUD.

That's when I went back to the 1703 version.

tazmo8448, Dec 1, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

This particular 'managed...' message with the 'view configured update policies' link beneath it is triggered if curiosity ever got the better of you and...

remove msg "some settings are managed by Org" in Windows Update

Oddly, it is only Pro that has this problem, Home doesn't say 'managed...' however many times you tick the box. For this particular problem...

View Configured Update Policies in Windows 10

...and never, ever, tick that box again *Smile

14. Tony K Win User
    Great info, Bree. Added to Favorites. *Smile

Tony K, Dec 1, 2017
  15. Bree New Member
    Thanks *Smile

Thema:

1. Spring & Fall Update Issues (Win10 Pro) - Similar Threads - Spring Fall Update

2. What's New - Win10 Spring 2020 Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What's New - Win10 Spring 2020 Update: MAY 27, 2020 10:00 AM What’s new in the Windows 10 May 2020 Update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whats-new-win10-spring-2020-update/e8176ca4-e111-410d-bad1-8a10ffb3e50b
  3. Heaps of Nice Stuff in Win10 Spring 2020 Update

Heaps of Nice Stuff in Win10 Spring 2020 Update: Version 2004 Code name 20H1 Spring 2020 A re-imagined Cortana. It is, now, a movable, sizable, actual, APP-like 'assistant' which, will, now, update itself separately, independently from the OS. New, eye-catching, artistic, realistic & pretty new icons. Reset your PC with...
  4. Nice Stuff with Win10 Spring 2020 Update

Nice Stuff with Win10 Spring 2020 Update: Version 2004 Code name 20H1 Spring 2020 A re-imagined Cortana. It is, now, a movable, sizable, actual, APP-like 'assistant' which, will, now, update itself separately, independently from the OS. New, eye-catching, artistic, realistic & pretty new icons. Reset your PC with...
  5. Windows 10 Mouse feels weird since Spring or Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Mouse feels weird since Spring or Fall Creators Update: Hi, My mouse behaves different since the Fall Creators Update (where MS fixed a mouse bug) or Spring Update. My current Version is the 1809. It doesn't matter, whether I switch the Mouse Accelaration on or off, on the Desktop the mouse is always a bit to fast and when I...
  6. Gaming Issues since Spring 2018 Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gaming Issues since Spring 2018 Update: Alright. I'm pretty upset at this point. The Spring Creators Update messed up my computer, costing me $400 in repairs and new harddrives. Once all that was fixed, I got all my stuff reinstalled, games, everything. Then I ran into problems with the games. Dragon Age...
  7. Windows 10, Spring Update (1803) - Will the Fall Update Resolve USB Issues?

Windows 10, Spring Update (1803) - Will the Fall Update Resolve USB Issues?: It's been more than 10 days since I installed the Spring update so I cannot roll back to 1709. Rather than reset my PC and have to reinstall a bunch of software, I would rather wait for the Fall update. Will the Fall update address the Spring updates issues with USB ports not...
  8. Spring Update Error - Enterprise to Pro - Unable to Activate

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Spring Update Error - Enterprise to Pro - Unable to Activate: Greetings. Newbie here. Searching resulted with impertinent info. Be gentle *Tongue This old laptop originally came with Windows 7. Over the past few years, I upgraded to Windows 8, then to 8.1, and finally to 10. I've received a few of the automatic spring and fall updates...
  9. spring update

spring update: is it safe to remove the spring update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/spring-update/5daf5a74-9347-494c-9bf4-71a61004ba86
  10. Fall update fixed issues..

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Fall update fixed issues..: Hi I have notice two issues that I was having with WIndows 10 now seem to be fixed with the 1709 update... 1. I no longer have to press the "number lock" button when I first power on, for some reason even though set to be on I have always had to manually press the...