Windows 10: Spurious user on log-in page

Discus and support Spurious user on log-in page in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; A colleague who is nearly computer illiterate, tried to create another local user on his home PC (I do not understand why he did this as he did not... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Mairibhan, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Mairibhan Win User

Spurious user on log-in page

A colleague who is nearly computer illiterate, tried to create another local user on his home PC (I do not understand why he did this as he did not want to have another user, only himself on a local account). He is the administrator for the PC but will not use a Microsoft account. Having clearly failed in his mission, he now faces the situation where a spurious user named "customer" appears on his log-in page. In order to get to his account he has to enter his user name and password. But every time the PC restarts it defaults to the "Customer" account.
    I have searched in vain for the Customer user name but it appears nowhere.
    Can't see it in the registry, in the manage user accounts or on the start menu top left.
    Can anyone advise me how to find and delete this spurious account?

:)

Mairibhan, Jun 7, 2017
  2. CindiWood Win User

I can't log in to microsoft solitaire collection.

when I try to log in I get "the background task activation is spurious'..how can I get to the point of playing microsoft solitarie collections?

CindiWood, Jun 7, 2017
  3. ColinS635 Win User
    Log-On Page - Non-Valid Users

Hello Ghosh,1

Many thanks your message.

I tried viewing the Advanced User Accounts Control Panel as you suggest - The Advanced User Accounts Control Panel shows just the Administrator account and my user account.

Since my original post in this string I have discovered that the two non-valid users are, actually, duplicate log-on for the Administrator account and my User account; I.E. each of the duplicates shows username 'Password'; but, will validate the respective
    password for each of Administrator and User accounts.

I did look in the Registry; but, cannot see any duplicate accounts nor non-valid users..?

I.E.: HKEY_USERS;

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS NT\CURRENTVERSION\PROFILELIST

Both Registry locations show the same SIDs:

S-1-5-18

S-1-5-19

S-1-5-20

S-1-5-21 (Administrator)

S-1-5-21 (User)

(Although, HKEY_USERS also shows the .DEFAULT account).

I assume the S-1-5-18 to S-1-5-20 will be System, Default and another built-in account..?

I am wondering which Registry location holds the Log-On screen user list..?

C

ColinS635, Jun 7, 2017
  4. essenbe Win User

essenbe, Jun 7, 2017
  5. Mairibhan Win User
    Thanks for the reply. Sadly, as I cannot see the user name "Customer" in the user profile, ergo I cant delete it. The only account that appears is his administrator account (in his name).
    If I delete this master account that would make life a little difficult?
    Should I create a new administrator account and delete his account - will that help?

Mairibhan, Jun 7, 2017
  6. essenbe Win User
    Look in C:\Users\ for the Customer account.
    Not under his user account name. It should have it's own profile separate from his.

essenbe, Jun 7, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Mairibhan, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

In addition, if he had ever set netplwiz to automatically sign in to that account at startup, this may be why he's seeing this ghost "Customer" account only at startup.

Checking the the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer box in netplwiz, and clicking in OK should fix this if this is the case.

Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

Brink, Jun 7, 2017
  8. Mairibhan Win User

Thank you to "essenbe" and "Brink" for your helpful replies. I located the user on the C: drive and yes he did use netplwiz so that is fixed also.

Mairibhan, Jun 7, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Glad we could help. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Spurious user on log-in page - Similar Threads - Spurious user log

2. Log in page is broken

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Log in page is broken: Whenever I restart my laptop it shows a broken screen with no logo, then turns completely black with only the cursor showing. How to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/log-in-page-is-broken/f351f22f-5332-4090-91db-c11b2970a941
  3. Log in page is broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Log in page is broken: Whenever I restart my laptop it shows a broken screen with no logo, then turns completely black with only the cursor showing. How to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/log-in-page-is-broken/f351f22f-5332-4090-91db-c11b2970a941
  4. Log in page is broken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Spurious additional keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Spurious additional keyboard: Hello,I have Windows 11 and I have the following language & region settings:Windows Display Language:English USPreferred languages:* German Germany* English USCountry or region:SwitzerlandRegional format:German GermanyI get the following keyboards:German Germany with German...
  6. Spurious additional keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Spurious additional keyboard: Hello,I have Windows 11 and I have the following language & region settings:Windows Display Language:English USPreferred languages:* German Germany* English USCountry or region:SwitzerlandRegional format:German GermanyI get the following keyboards:German Germany with German...
  7. How do I delete a spurious user account in Windows 10?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I delete a spurious user account in Windows 10?: At some point I have picked up an additional user account on my Windows 10 PC. The account name is the same as the admin account, and when the PC is rebooted, it always tries to sign in with the other user account, which stops Windows Hello from working. I searched the web...
  8. Log on welcome page

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Log on welcome page: After the last Windows 10 update two of the three logon names were removed by the update. I have tried several things with no positive results. The two other names remain off the logon page....
  9. Spurious user folders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Spurious user folders in Windows 10: I have 4 users set up, myself as admin and 3 family members as users. When I look at the Users folder on C: the 3 family members are there, but there are 4 versions of me. Only one of these User folders contains my data. When I use File System for backup, it picks up one of...
  10. Spurious Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Spurious Update: On both computers, Windows 10 keeps trying to install an update for a Brother printer; this has been going on for a few days. The updater shows that the update is ready, so when I tell Windows to install it, it starts and immediately quits. If I then check for updates, the...