Windows 10: Spybot

Discus and support Spybot in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I just ran Spybot, but I had not done it for a couple of weeks. It found loads of spyware all labelled within Firefox folders. These must have crept... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by elbmek, Sep 30, 2015.

1. elbmek Win User

Spybot

I just ran Spybot, but I had not done it for a couple of weeks.

It found loads of spyware all labelled within Firefox folders. These must have crept in on a recent update. Very naughty Firefox. I cleaned them out and spybot reminded me I had not run immunization. So I did, currently running and checking thousands of files.

:)

elbmek, Sep 30, 2015

2. Spybot keeps trying to reinstall itself. Help!

Malacath,

Are you was using Spybot – Search & Destroy 2. (released 09 Nov-12) OR Spybot 1.6.x. ?

If Spybot 1.6.x.

Was Spybot Resident Təa Timer enabled ??

To be cləar, after the installation, never Spybot 1.6 + Təa Timer
    was installed. OK ?

(Having uninstalled Spybot 1.6. without first fully disabling Spybot Təa Timer could be the cause of this behavior.)

`~`

Since this Forum deals with Virus and Malware issues, suggest you repost

this to :

Spybot – Search & Destroy Forums

Safer-Networking Forums

`~`

José Antonio Pontón Posada CEO, Sep 30, 2015
  3. John582n Win User
    Windows 10 programs stop responding after a few minutes...

Uninstall Soluto because it is no longer supported and may cause issues on Windows 10.

Did you remove Spybot before upgrading to Windows 10, then reinstall it after the upgrade?

What version of Spybot have you got?

Spybot 2.5 is required for Windows 10.

I suggest that you remove Spybot, restart, then reinstall the latest version. However take a look at the instructions from Niall2 in this thread as there is a procedure to follow.

Post Win10 Spybot-install

If you have issues doing this then I suggest you contact Spybot support.

John582n, Sep 30, 2015
  4. Spybot

Where did you obtain your Firefox update???
    There is no malware or spyware or junkware or crapware or anything else bundled with the legitimate Firefox installer from the official download site:

Mozilla Firefox Web Browser — Download Firefox in your language
    The new, fast browser for Mac, PC and Linux | Firefox

Or perhaps you have some rogue extensions?

As for Spybot S&D, many experts no longer recommend it.
    For example, see here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru.../#entry3279369
    IMHO There are other, better anti-malware applications.

<just sayin'>

Cheers,

MM

MoxieMomma, Sep 30, 2015
  5. Cliff S New Member
    @MoxieMomma 1st of all I don't use Spybot(although I once tried it), an interesting comment from the mod quietman7:

Cliff S, Sep 30, 2015
  6. elbmek Win User
    REALLY!! I have seen loads of malware embedded in FF over months and I make sure I get the original from Mozilla. Since installation, the current updates appear automatically and install without prompt, only telling me, wait a mo, installing update. The only other site I trust is Major Geeks.

The malware or spyware I found today were all within Firefox folders, no other.

Everyone has their own opinion as to how good, or bad, a particular software is. I go by experience. I have Malwarebytes Premium; AVG Internet Suite, Spy Bot. Spy bot is the freebie version - I tried the pro version offered as a trial from someone in SB, and it took took long to do a system scan, like a whole day!! So I binned it back to the freebie (which is running now). I use MB and SB manually, AVG runs auto.

I binned CCleaner as it screwed up some passwords.

elbmek, Sep 30, 2015
    MoxieMomma, Oct 1, 2015
  8. Gary Win User

Spybot

I used SpyBot S & D back in the day but the day is long gone. There are better products such as MBAM Beta 12.2.2.0.1022 that you can get HERE

Gary, Oct 1, 2015
  9. elbmek Win User
    Moxie, I agree with you to a certain extent, and am about to remove Spybot, but for a different reason. Every scan removes my password settings and I have to relog into everything. The other thing is that my pc is actually very clean, and a technician remarked on that a few weeks ago when he came into my pc for something or other. (Memory crap!).

However, spybot has dramatically improved from its knights of olde version. But anyway, its going.

edit: interesting point on this uninstallation. I was doing a couple of other office cleaning and rebooted 3-4 times. Every reboot brought up a pop up "Click here to install Spybot". But I had it uninstalled!! So I checked start menu and sure enough there was a start up item entitled" Make sure Spy Bot is in win 10" - cheeky bleeders!! Entry now deleted.

elbmek, Oct 1, 2015
  10. elbmek Win User
    In reply to Moxie, just did a malware./adware scan and came up with these files contained within firefox folders on my pc:

bluesnap x 2
    googleleadservices.con x 2
    newscastdigitalmedia.net
    liveperson.net
    lv.com
    statdealtime.com

just run same check minus firefox and running chrome as default:

NIL

elbmek, Oct 3, 2015
  11. Well, again, just because you have them in "firefox folders" does not tell us much.*Sad
    It's not clear what you mean by "firefox folders".*Sad
    In your Firefox profile folder?
    In the Firefox program files folder?
    In the Firefox program data folder?

And again, it does not mean that they came with Firefox.
    They could be PUPs and/or other junk that came with dodgy extensions or with other legit software, or by some other means. And they could be false positives from Spybot S&D.
    If they keep turning up, then that suggests that either whatever tool you're using to remove them isn't working, or they are respawning somewhere, or you are being reinfected.
    Moreover, no one tool will pick up 100% of all junkware, crapware, adware or PUPs.
    Complete detection and removal often requires multiple tools, as explained HERE.

Without hard data (such as FRST diagnostic logs), it's impossible to say exactly what is going on.*Sad
    But I respectfully disagree with your assertion that the legitimate Firefox installer comes bundled with anything nefarious.
    As it is open-source software, it would be hard to get away with such a stunt.

If it were my computer, I would head over to one of several reputable computer disinfection fora for some free, expert help.

<just saying>

Cheers,

MM

MoxieMomma, Oct 3, 2015
  12. Cliff S New Member
  13. elbmek Win User

Spybot

my pc is clean. And these did not appear until an FF update. Now deleted FF and using Chrome, and zero results with spybot - also uninstalled, for diff reasons. Ran check with malwarebytes premium, clear.

elbmek, Oct 3, 2015
  14. Hi, @elbmek:

I understand that we cannot persuade you otherwise.
    But, for one example, "Bluesnap" payment gateway did not come with the Firefox installer.
    It may have come from a dodgy extension or other source.
    Or you have PUPs, and other stuff installed, with or without your knowledge.
    The fact that they may be in your Firefox profile in no way means that they were bundled with the Firefox installer.
    Here is the virustotal report on the Firefox installer: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/5...is/1443968472/

If you have PUPs and other stuff on your system, they did NOT come with the Firefox installer, if that installer was obtained from the official, Mozilla source. It's just that simple.

But, without hard data, such as some basic diagnostic logs (as per the link to FRST that @CliffS provided) or logs from specific tools, such as JRT or AdwCleaner, we are just going around in circles.*Sad

I'm glad you resolved your issue to your satisfaction.

Take care,*Smile

MoxieMomma, Oct 3, 2015
  15. The Firefox folder can receive malware. It only offers 'proof' that Firefox was how they were downloaded (via some website or link you went to). It is very improbable that you would get malware from FF itself. If I may be another voice in the mix.

DustSailor, Oct 3, 2015
Thema:

Spybot

1. Spybot - Similar Threads - Spybot

2. Is it safe to remove spybot s&d entries from hosts file? URGENT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to remove spybot s&d entries from hosts file? URGENT: I’ve been having an issue where programs like steam or nvidia GeForce experience connecting to the internet for updates causes the network activity page in resource monitor to display the ip as “007guard” after some looking apparently this is caused by my previous...
  3. Is it safe to remove spybot s&d entries from hosts file? URGENT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it safe to remove spybot s&d entries from hosts file? URGENT: I’ve been having an issue where programs like steam or nvidia GeForce experience connecting to the internet for updates causes the network activity page in resource monitor to display the ip as “007guard” after some looking apparently this is caused by my previous...
  4. Is it safe to remove spybot s&d entries from hosts file? URGENT

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Spybot s&d adding entries to windows driver host file?

Spybot s&d adding entries to windows driver host file?: I discovered that spybot adds entries of malicious or virus ridden websites to the hosts file in system32\drivers\etc. are these websites being blocked? Should I delete them? And why does opening things like steam or nvidia GeForce cause them to show up in resource monitor’s...
  6. Spybot s&d adding entries to windows driver host file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Spybot s&d adding entries to windows driver host file?: I discovered that spybot adds entries of malicious or virus ridden websites to the hosts file in system32\drivers\etc. are these websites being blocked? Should I delete them? And why does opening things like steam or nvidia GeForce cause them to show up in resource monitor’s...
  7. Spybot s&d adding entries to windows driver host file?

8. How do I turn on windows defender after removing Spybot software? Option removed to just...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I turn on windows defender after removing Spybot software? Option removed to just...: How do I turn on windows defender after removing Spybot software? Option removed to just turn defender on. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-turn-on-windows-defender-after-removing/de071ad4-d623-40f8-a998-c1490ec1507f
  9. How do I turn on windows defender after removing Spybot software? Option removed to just...

How do I turn on windows defender after removing Spybot software? Option removed to just...: How do I turn on windows defender after removing Spybot software? Option removed to just turn defender on. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-turn-on-windows-defender-after-removing/de071ad4-d623-40f8-a998-c1490ec1507f
  10. Spybot overrides Windows Defender

Spybot overrides Windows Defender: I run Windows 10 Home on a Dell Inspiron laptop. I've used Spybot Search and Destroy free version for years with no problems, but with the new version 2.9, I'm finding that when it's installed, it overrides Windows Defender. The only way I can find to re-enable WD is to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. spybot for windows phone