Windows 10: Sr. Citizen Questions (probably dumb and basic, but would appreciate

Discus and support Sr. Citizen Questions (probably dumb and basic, but would appreciate in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, Using Windows 10 as a virtual machine (via the program Parallels) from a Mac. Not used to the nuances of W10, and am really confused. Sr.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Robert11, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Robert11 Win User

Sr. Citizen Questions (probably dumb and basic, but would appreciate

Hello,

Using Windows 10 as a virtual machine (via the program Parallels) from a Mac.
    Not used to the nuances of W10, and am really confused.
    Sr. Citizen now, so please put up with some dumb questions:

a. The program(s) listings on the left side continually shows nonsense like Disney, Xbox, etc.
    I do the Uninstall, but they keep coming back. Any way to stop them from re-appearing.

b. I don't want Cortana to show, anywhere on my desktop.
    How do I eliminate it, it's search box, etc. from my screen ?

c. Where, or how do I install a normal W10 Search box, assuming there is one ?

d. I downloaded zip file for a program I would like to install.
    I keep getting msg's that it won't allow me to do this, as I, or the program, lacks
    the appropriate "permissions".

How do I get around this, please ?
    Is there a global setting, perhaps, so I wouldn't have to do this each time ?

I'm using AVAST. Could they be blocking it, perhaps ?
    (but I really get the impression that it is W10 doing the blocking)

e. Where do i find the Add & Remove (for programs) screen ?

f. There doesn't seem to be a Delete function for some of the Folders when I right-click.
    Is there a trash, somewhere to delete them ? I don't see any.

Just one more (for now), please. I'm using AVAST. Does AVAST prohibit Windows Defender from working, or do they both function together ? BTW: how do I access Windows Defender; can't seem to find it anywhere.

Much thanks; really appreciate the help,
    Bob

:)

Robert11, Jun 17, 2018
  2. Robert11 Win User

Program Files (x86) Question, Please ?

Hello,

Really a dumb question, but will blame it on my Sr. Citizen status now.

Looked in File Explorer, etc., but just cannot find it.

How do I see and get to a listing like "program Files (x86)" ?
    Such as what easily appears in W7

Where is it located, exactly ( the "program files" complete list with the x86 suffix) ?

I can find the program files, but not with the x86

Much thanks, appreciate the help,
    B.

Robert11, Jun 17, 2018
  3. Citizen GSX-190 does not work after upgrading to Windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I apologize for the delay.

I suggest you to go to the manufacture’s website and download Citizen GSX-190 driver for Windows 8.1, install the drivers in compatibility mode.

Refer the steps:

• Download the Drive from the manufacture’s website, Right click on the setup file and select Properties.

• Click the compatibility tab, tick the box next to Run this program in compatibility mode for and select Windows.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Jun 17, 2018
  4. Techtu Win User

New PC, Opinions appreciated.

He did *Smile Sr. Citizen Questions  (probably dumb and basic, but would appreciate :)

Techtu, Jun 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Sr. Citizen Questions (probably dumb and basic, but would appreciate - Similar Threads - Citizen Questions probably

2. Sr. Citizen Dumb Question: Bottom Bar With The Icons Orientation ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Sr. Citizen Dumb Question: Bottom Bar With The Icons Orientation ?: Hello, Running W10. Not sure what the proper name is, but regarding the bar on the very bottom of the screen that holds all the icons: Mine has gone to a vertical orientation on the right side of the screen. No idea what caused this. What might have ? How do I get it back...
  3. Sr. Citizen Questions Re New Desktop & Virus Programs, Please

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Sr. Citizen Questions Re New Desktop & Virus Programs, Please: Hi Folks, Thanks for all the previous help. Going to purchase a new Desktop pc for the family, and have to admit that I've lost track of the Posts and info. on this subject, as I'm in my 80's now and somewhat hard to keep up with. I imagine it is a very common question....
  4. Sr. Citizen Questions Re New Desktop & Virus Programs, Please

in Windows 10 Support
    Sr. Citizen Questions Re New Desktop & Virus Programs, Please: Hi Folks, Thanks for all the previous help. Going to purchase a new Desktop pc for the family, and have to admit that I've lost track of the Posts and info. on this subject, as I'm in my 80's now and somewhat hard to keep up with. I imagine it is a very common question....
  5. Sr. Citizen On What To Get Grandson ? Thoughts Would Most Appreciated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sr. Citizen On What To Get Grandson ? Thoughts Would Most Appreciated: Hello, Really glad I noticed this sub-forum. Am in my 80's now, and would be most grateful for some advice and help. Wish to get my Grandson something "nice" for his birthday, and thought perhaps an X-Box, Playstation, or Nintendo, might be a good choice. Showing my...
  6. BitDefender: Getting Started With Questions (Sr. Citizen Level)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitDefender: Getting Started With Questions (Sr. Citizen Level): Hello, Just installed Bitdefender. Brand new desktop PC. Think it went O.K. But a few items popped up that I'm not too sure about: a. It said it found a problem.. When i clicked on it, it said that "AntiPhising Filter Is Disabled" Then, Click To Fix. When I...
  7. Sr. Citizen Question Re Which Vers., and On Brands Desktop Reliabity ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Sr. Citizen Question Re Which Vers., and On Brands Desktop Reliabity ?: Hello, Guess I will be getting the "Home" edition for W10 on a new Desktop. I understand that it is avail. in a 64 bit version also. True ? For a very typical home user (Desktop) with no gaming, etc., but lots of internet "surfing", does the 64 bit version (if I am...
  8. Accessing An External HD: Sr. Citizen Question ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Accessing An External HD: Sr. Citizen Question ?: Hi, So simple a question, I'm embarased to ask. Will blame it on old age now. Should have stayed with W7. Anyway, I have an external HD plugged into a USB Port for doing some backups How do i get to it afterwards, please ? I thought "File Explorer," but it...
  9. Sr. Citizen Quest's As A New W10 User.

in Windows 10 Support
    Sr. Citizen Quest's As A New W10 User.: Hello, Sr. Citizen now, very,and frankly not all that sharp with this "stuff" anymore. Would be most grateful for any help. Have had W7 for many years, was "happy" with it, but new desktop (DELL XPS 8900) due to arrive in a few days is coming with W10. Would like to...
  10. Sr. Citizen Question: Which HP PC Desktop Question ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Sr. Citizen Question: Which HP PC Desktop Question ?: Hello, Sr. Citizen now, and would appreciate some help.. Have had an HP Desktop for a number of years. Not perfect, but have had good luck with it. Time for a new one, though. Am considering another, new Desktop with W10. Their site doesn't allow a comparison, item...