Windows 10: SSD and partition tool

Discus and support SSD and partition tool in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a notebook with a Samsung 850 Evo SSD. I want to reduce partition where Windows 10 is installed and I see that in Control Panel there is a tool... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Teox, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Teox Win User

SSD and partition tool

I have a notebook with a Samsung 850 Evo SSD. I want to reduce partition where Windows 10 is installed and I see that in Control Panel there is a tool for managing partition. I wonder if this tool takes in consideration 4096 bytes alignment recommended for SSD. Thanks!

:)

2. How Do I make 2 Drives one

I have installed a new ssd drive in my desktop pc. I took a disk image from my old drive so it now boots into win 10 from the ssd. The old drive had two partitions. The partition for the OS had problems because it is so small. I can not edit the small
    partition with partition editing tools. I would like to move everything to one partition. Can this be done without deleting everything on the larger partition? Any tools that can do this easily?

ROCKINGROBBINS, Aug 25, 2016
  3. SSD for new Windows, keeping files and programs on HDD

Both options you gave concern re-installing applications.

Option I suggest: if the space taken up (used) on your current hard disk drive is LESS than the the space you will have available on your new SSD (formatted size), utilize some third party partitioning tool to shrink the partition to minimal size (under
    the size of the SSD) and then use another tool to make an image of that partition or clone that partition onto the SSD and then take out the HDD and see if everything is working properly on your SSD. Once you have determined that, if you want the extra space
    the HDD will grant you, put it back in and format it /use it.

Shenan Stanley, Aug 25, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

SSD and partition tool

I recommend the free MiniTool Partition Wizard for managing partitions.

Steve C, Aug 25, 2016
  5. Boice Win User
    The built-in tool has some limitations when managing partitions. Apart from MiniTool, AOMEI also completely supports SSD 4k alignment.

SSD and partition tool [​IMG]

Boice, Sep 9, 2016
  6. Cliff S New Member
    You can check whether the hard disk is 4k aligned or not.
    Copy and paste the following into a command prompt:
    wmic partition get Name, StartingOffset
    This will list all partitions in bytes. Divide those by 4096, if the result is multiple of 4096, it means your partition are aligned.

SSD and partition tool [​IMG]

And yes Windows built in Disk Management takes into consideration SSD alignment. Windows has been SSD aware since Windows 7*Wink
    No need for extra 3rd party tools.

Cliff S, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

SSD and partition tool

1. SSD and partition tool - Similar Threads - SSD partition tool

2. SSD Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD Partition: My Intel NUC 5i5RYH comes with 128GB M.2 SATA.I partitioned into two.Now I wish to combine back into a single partition.Unfortunately, the 2nd partition does not follows the 1st partition. There is another partition in between.The partition in between is called Recovery...
  3. SSD Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD Partition: My Intel NUC 5i5RYH comes with 128GB M.2 SATA.I partitioned into two.Now I wish to combine back into a single partition.Unfortunately, the 2nd partition does not follows the 1st partition. There is another partition in between.The partition in between is called Recovery...
  4. SSD Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. SSD partitions

SSD partitions: Can I partition the M2 SSD into two partitions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-partitions/81aa398d-1518-4730-a1de-daa9006c1711
  6. partitions on ssd

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    partitions on ssd: i have ssd 120 gb and i want to install windows 10 so i am wondering if ssd can be divided into 2 partitions and if it could be 1 and how many other partitions https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/partitions-on-ssd/cddf9b3a-ae20-4cb2-9f08-1ea070f65fc1
  7. SSD partitioning

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD partitioning: I just installed a Samsung 860 evo 500gb SSD on my OLD laptop My question is :::: Q. Can I make a separate partition on my SSD to store only files , photos, videos etc.. Q. Do I need paging file (I have 12 gb of ram and only 40% of it is usually used ). Q. How huge...
  8. Partitioning an SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Partitioning an SSD: Hi, My new Huawei Matebook x pro has come with a 512 GB SSD storage. In my previous laptop (having an HDD), I was using two logical partitions other than the OS Primary partition for storing my personal data for two reasons: 1) In case the OS gets corrupted or requires a...
  9. Media creation tool on an SSD/HDD partition?

Media creation tool on an SSD/HDD partition?: Hi, I have used the windows media creation tool in the past with a USB stick to install a fresh copy of Windows 10. However I was wondering if it was possible to do the same thing with an SSD or HDD partition, so that if I were to install the drive to a new machine, the...
  10. Using mini tool partition wizard to migrate from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using mini tool partition wizard to migrate from HDD to SSD: I notice there is a migrate OS to SSD option in Mini tool partition wizard. What I want to do is to move only the System and C partition ( which contain Windows 10 and programs ) to the SSD. The HDD capacity is 1 TB vs 500GB for the SSD The HDD is partitioned into System (...