Windows 10: SSD disappeared from system

Discus and support SSD disappeared from system in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My computer hasbeen experiencing freezes and crashes so I decided to reinstall windows. When running the windows installer from a USB, the installer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MartonKovacs52, Aug 2, 2018.

1. SSD disappeared from system

My computer hasbeen experiencing freezes and crashes so I decided to reinstall windows. When running the windows installer from a USB, the installer came up with the dialogue "Windows could not format a partition on Disk 1". I googled solutions and according to a website using the following commands in CMD would resolve the issue:

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk 1
    clean
    create partition primary
    select partition 1
    active
    format fs=ntfs

However, when I got to the "create partition primary" line. It returned that I could not perform the action. I closed CMD and since then diskpart doesn't show the SSD, nor does the windows installer. Is there any way I can revert this action or resolve this issue?

:)

MartonKovacs52, Aug 2, 2018
  2. dgpretzel Win User

Disappearing SSD Syndrome

Thank you for the information. I have built a new system, and am struggling with a disappearing SSD.

Q: Do you have any suggestions for dealing with a disappearing SSD that is an M.2 device. That is, it doesn't have separate SATA data and power connection-- just the motherboard slot. I have a Plextor M6e SSD plugged in to the M.2 slot on an ASUS Z97 Deluxe 3.1 MB.

Thank you for any comments.

Regards,

DG

dgpretzel, Aug 2, 2018
  3. 2BearArmy Win User
    Random Disappearing/Reappearing SSD on Boot

Config:

ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen 3
    OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G 480GB SSD
    Corsair 850W PSU
    2x HD 6950 GPU's

My desktop has a 480GB SSD main drive (OS and games), and two secondary HDD's for media storage.

I have had no issues with this SSD, until I tried to add a second video card to my system, and subsequently had to remove it. After a couple re-installs and finally getting the Crossfire to work, I am still in this broken state.

Symptom:

If I put my computer to sleep, restart, power down, it is a complete gamble as to whether or not the system will see the boot drive. What is consistent, is that after a seemingly random interval, it will eventually see the drive and boot straight to windows.

Troubleshooting Steps:

• Reset Bios
    • Removed all other options for bootable devices
    • Re-installed Windows
    • Updated all OS drivers
    • Updated firmware for both the MoBo bios and the SSD.
    • Replaced all SATA cables
    • Moved to another SATA controller port
    • Switched power cables
    • SSDLife came back saying the drive is healthy
    I am literally out of ideas at this point, and the issue is extremely annoying. Sometimes my boot times are 30 seconds (if it sees the drive) sometimes it's 20 minutes (constant reboots until it sees the drive).

Anyone have any other ideas, or have seen this before?

2BearArmy, Aug 2, 2018
  4. Hood Win User

SSD disappeared from system

Disappearing SSD Syndrome

I have the original Asus Z97 Deluxe board, and I'm also running a Plextor M6e in the M.2 slot. I also had problems with that drive, which was having weird latency issues when it had the original firmware, 1.03 I think. Then I updated the firmware to 1.04 and it had booting problems, which is when I took Windows off and started using the M.2 drive to install games only, booting Windows from a Samsung 850 Pro. Finally Plextor released firmware 1.05, which I suppose fixed the booting problem, but I never trusted it enough after that to use it as my boot drive. Besides, the 850 Pro had better random 4k performance and felt snappier. The M6e 256 is still my game drive, and loads them all very quickly. It's also still on firmware 1.05, although Plextor has released 1.06 and 1.07 since then (I don't trust their firmware updates - leaving it alone while it works fine). So I don't know if the new ones have problems, 1.05 works great though, hasn't disappeared again...yet!

Hood, Aug 2, 2018
Thema:

SSD disappeared from system

1. SSD disappeared from system - Similar Threads - SSD disappeared system

2. SSD Disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD Disappeared: Thought i'd set up some history first.When i bought my 870 QVO SSD i tried plugging it into my machine as per normal and register it just like the others. Easy right?Well it didn't show up..Well to be more specific it didnt show up CORRECTLY.It kept displaying as some LCD...
  3. SSD Disappeared

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD Disappeared: Thought i'd set up some history first.When i bought my 870 QVO SSD i tried plugging it into my machine as per normal and register it just like the others. Easy right?Well it didn't show up..Well to be more specific it didnt show up CORRECTLY.It kept displaying as some LCD...
  4. SSD Disappearing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD Disappearing: Hello, I recently installed a TEAMGROUP M.2 SSD. I'm able to get it working through various solutions. However, once I turn my computer off, then back on, it's gone again. When I go into Device Manager and turn on show hidden devices, the SSD is there. There is also a Code 45...
  5. SSD Disappearing

SSD Disappearing: Hello, I recently installed a TEAMGROUP M.2 SSD. I'm able to get it working through various solutions. However, once I turn my computer off, then back on, it's gone again. When I go into Device Manager and turn on show hidden devices, the SSD is there. There is also a Code 45...
  6. SSD disappeared from boot options

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD disappeared from boot options: A few months ago I installed a new SSD to my computer. I cloned windows onto it and everything worked properly. But all of sudden when I started my computer today I had my old HDD as my boot drive. My SSD had gotten disconnected from the MB and when I connected it back again...
  7. SSD disappeared from boot options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD disappeared from boot options: A few months ago I installed a new SSD to my computer. I cloned windows onto it and everything worked properly. But all of sudden when I started my computer today I had my old HDD as my boot drive. My SSD had gotten disconnected from the MB and when I connected it back again...
  8. SSD disappeared from boot options

9. SSD disappeared

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD disappeared: [ATTACH] Hi, My SSD KINGSTON SA400S37960G apparently is not working properly. It is a seconday one, and was ok, configured on B unit. But, (probably after an windows update) the unit disappeared, the disk itself is still visible on disk manager, but with no option for...
  10. 2nd SSD Disappears After System Reboot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    2nd SSD Disappears After System Reboot: Hello, Been awhile since I posted anything but have an interesting issue on my Dell Latitude E5440 laptop running Win10 Pro x64 (add'l system specs below/attached). I recently replaced the ODD with an HDD/SSD caddy and Kingston 480GB SSD to be used as a secondary data...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. plextor ssd dissapear

2. ssd vanished from laptop

3. plextor ssd partition disappeared

4. windows installation disappeared from ssd,
  5. ssd disappearing,
  6. ssd have disappeared from win 10,
  7. boot ssd disappared from system,
  8. ssd randomly disapered from pc