Windows 10: SSD Failure

Discus and support SSD Failure in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Last year I replaced an aging hard drive in my Mum's pc with a slightly less aging OCZ Vertex 2 SSD. This morning she was using the pc just fine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by swarfega, Nov 1, 2014.

1. swarfega Win User

SSD Failure

Last year I replaced an aging hard drive in my Mum's pc with a slightly less aging OCZ Vertex 2 SSD.

This morning she was using the pc just fine then left it until this evening when it suddenly would not boot and reported sata drive failure.

Perhaps I shouldn't be too disappointed considering it was last generation technology.

What should be my first steps in diagnosing this fault? If the drive has failed I may as well suggest it be replaced with a more modern one which I'm sure has better longevity. I have an external drive reader which can take any sata device. This should allow me to see if the data is accessible.

In my own rig I have a Samsung 840 EVO 250 which has served me well so I may suggest she gets the same unless you guys have alternative suggestions.

:)

swarfega, Nov 1, 2014
  2. Alan B Win User

SSD Hard drive no recognized after crashing Windows 10 update failure (locked-up)

But is the SSD reported as present by the BIOS? Perhaps all the hard work of trying to install Windows 10 has caused an electronic failure in the SSD?

Alan B, Nov 1, 2014
  3. Dvlos Win User
    SSD Hard drive no recognized after crashing Windows 10 update failure (locked-up)

My drive just did the same thing. I'm using win10 insider pro. This is really disheartening. It isn't hard drive failure so stop asking this

Dvlos, Nov 1, 2014
  4. badrobot Win User

SSD Failure

So what kind of help do you need? Recovering files? or which SSD to get?

If you are asking about SSD Samsung or Intel would be a much better choice.

badrobot, Nov 1, 2014
  5. labeeman Win User
    Your SSD failed could be any number of things first I would re seat all cables on the drive. Second substitute another drive in the system and see if it shows up in BIOS or try the original drive in a another machine and see if the system can see the drive. The sata controller could also be bad on the mother board in that case no drive will work.

labeeman, Nov 1, 2014
  6. swarfega Win User
    I took the ssd out this morning and put it in my external hdd reader and the device appeared on my pc and I could access the files. So to me it sounds like the motherboard or the controller on the motherboard has gone.

swarfega, Nov 1, 2014
  7. labeeman Win User
    Yep it does sound like the sata controller on the mother board is gone.

labeeman, Nov 1, 2014
  8. swarfega Win User

SSD Failure

I see Amazon do still stock a couple of lga775 motherboards at least I'm assuming thats what is in the case otherwise they are quite hard to find these days.

swarfega, Nov 1, 2014
  9. labeeman Win User
    Make sure you do not have a cable problem first.

labeeman, Nov 1, 2014
  10. swarfega Win User
    Good point so try another sata cable I guess.

swarfega, Nov 1, 2014
  11. labeeman Win User
    Yep and a different power cable if there is one in the case.

labeeman, Nov 1, 2014
  12. swarfega Win User
    We took the pc to a local repair place and they found for some really odd reason that the boot order of the drives had changed. So they corrected that and it works fine again.

I do wonder if this is the first sign of the computer getting old and should start thinking about a replacement before too long.

swarfega, Nov 2, 2014
  13. badrobot Win User

SSD Failure

Boot order has nothing to do with a pc being old. I change my boot order all the time and you can too without any help from a technician. What you need to do is to keep a back up of your files. Even a brand new state-of-the-art pc won't boot or bsod for any reason. Get an external hard drive fir backup.

badrobot, Nov 2, 2014
  14. swarfega Win User
    I back my own computer files up regularly but Mum doesn't so I need to get her doing that regularly.

swarfega, Nov 2, 2014
  15. labeeman Win User
    When was the last time you changed the cmos battery? They are only good for about 2 years more or less.

labeeman, Nov 2, 2014
Thema:

SSD Failure

1. SSD Failure - Similar Threads - SSD Failure

2. Can a SSD failure cause this?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can a SSD failure cause this?: I have a HP Notebook - 15-db0013nq and i decide to update all the drivers after installing Windows 10 pro.At the bios update Something went wrong i Don't remeber what error it showed at that moment,but now it shows this after that i google how to resolve the boot problem,i...
  3. Can a SSD failure cause this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can a SSD failure cause this?: I have a HP Notebook - 15-db0013nq and i decide to update all the drivers after installing Windows 10 pro.At the bios update Something went wrong i Don't remeber what error it showed at that moment,but now it shows this after that i google how to resolve the boot problem,i...
  4. Can a SSD failure cause this?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. unable to format an ssd from bios or windows operating system failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to format an ssd from bios or windows operating system failure: few days ago we had a power outage and after that a bsod screen appeared, and still appears so i cant work with my os windows 11 for more than 2 minutes and any change i do eg delete an aplication or document does not takes any effect when the pc restarts. I ve been trying to...
  6. unable to format an ssd from bios or windows operating system failure

unable to format an ssd from bios or windows operating system failure: few days ago we had a power outage and after that a bsod screen appeared, and still appears so i cant work with my os windows 11 for more than 2 minutes and any change i do eg delete an aplication or document does not takes any effect when the pc restarts. I ve been trying to...
  7. Ssd failure

Ssd failure: How to fix ssd failure with only 1 ssd trying to keep my windows on this ssd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-failure/8b785cb8-3e15-469b-a324-919f9abaf558
  8. Ssd failure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Ssd failure: How to fix ssd failure with only 1 ssd trying to keep my windows on this ssd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-failure/8b785cb8-3e15-469b-a324-919f9abaf558
  9. Ssd failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. User-Password Trouble After Full Restore From SSD Failure

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    User-Password Trouble After Full Restore From SSD Failure: I have several PCs running Windows 10 Pro. The SSD on one failed and I could not repair/restore so I h=downloaded the recovery file from MS to USB and eventually got windows 10 pro installed on new SSD. I selected did not have activation code and answered questions about my...