Windows 10: SSD & HDD Boot Up Sequence Wrong

Discus and support SSD & HDD Boot Up Sequence Wrong in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; On Update 1803 it completely trashed my setup. I had windows 10 on my 500gb Crucial SSD and my original HDD was a storage drive. When I went to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Rockywr, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Rockywr Win User

SSD & HDD Boot Up Sequence Wrong

On Update 1803 it completely trashed my setup.

I had windows 10 on my 500gb Crucial SSD and my original HDD was a storage drive.

When I went to update to 1803 I was then informed that I didn't have enough space on my SSD to perform and update.... which was strange since there was 170gb and trimmed down as well.

So I had to go back to putting it onto the original HDD what I didn't know was that I now had the SSD booting up to an option of Windows 10 on Volume 4 which was the 500gb HDD --- remember I didn't know this.

I then had to re-install everything onto this HDD office etc.. etc.. etc... backwards and forwards, round and round the mulberry bush etc.. etc.. etc.. and was quite tedious -eventually it fired up with all my accounts having been put back to what they should be.

The SSD though when trying to fire up from this went into a blue screen of errors.. .saying it couldn't do it.

But, the HDD appeared to work okay so i went with this for a while.

After a few months without the speed of an SSD I thought I'd spend on a new 1tb SSD (also crucial) to fire up with plenty of room and eventually replace all my HDD's for SSD's ---- so after cloning the HDD 500gb original with update 1803 on it to the new 1tb SSD I put the 1tb SSD as the first drive to boot from the Bios....

Nothing worked but, when I went to the 500gb SSD it fired up - it was only when I was looking through disk management that I could see it was classed as the primary but when I put the 500gb HDD with the OS on it as first bootable disk, it went into an option screen and I couldn't boot the OS it's only when the SSD was the first boot that it now somehow points to the volume with the OS on it ---- so, how do I make the new SSD the only one to fire up with the only OS on it ?

the Disk Mgmt screen display here is not showing the 1tb new SSD because I've taken the cable out for the time being as it isn't being pointed to by that other SSD....... what a pain this is I need help and instructions on this please.

The D is the SSD (Disk 0)

Disk 1 is the one containing the O.S. update 1803

Disk E is another HDD in the PC the others are just USB plugins.

regards,

W. Robinson

:)

Rockywr, Jul 14, 2018
  2. alden2662 Win User

How to change boot from HDD to SSD?

Hello,

Thank you for the advice, I followed your instruction, went to F2 in BIOS and changed sequence of bootable disks putting SDD on top of HDD, so it was on BIOS like this :1) Windows, 2) SSD Crucial; 3) Toshiba HDD ( original drive).

But results were pretty suprising: booting did not cut by 80% like some people say it will if boot will go from SSD instead of HDD. It looks to me booting from SSD is even longer than from HDD and I now wonder if cloning was done correctly, may be it something
    wrong with partition?

I checked disk management and copied image from it. Disk 1 (SSD) shows Healthy (primary partition) and HDD shows Healthy (boot, page file, crash dump and primary partition). SSD is missing page file, crash dump) May be it's the reason why SSD boot is slow?
    And if I will have to erase my cloned Windows from SSD is it possible to clone it again to the same SSD may be using different software?. I am afraid if I format SSD to re-clone my HDD, it will erase not just my Windows and some other apps on SSD but also
    it will erase installation software that came with SSD. I will appreciate your advice.

AD

SSD & HDD Boot Up Sequence Wrong 266726ee-d797-4c2e-ac3a-f59b4402f746?upload=true.png

alden2662, Jul 14, 2018
  3. How to change boot from HDD to SSD?

Hello Alden,

I understand that you've already tried to change the boot order/sequence of your computer. To help you change the boot order/sequence to your SSD, refer to the steps below:

1. While your computer is booting up, press the F2/Del key to enter BIOS setup.

2. Change the boot order/sequence and set your cloned SSD as the 1st boot device.

3. Save the changes.

You may also check the answer from Andre Da Costa in this
    thread
    for a more detailed steps of changing the boot order/sequence of your computer.

Let me know if you have other concerns.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Jul 14, 2018
  4. Ivy336289 Win User

Move Windows 10 from installed hdd to installed ssd

the simplest way is to
    clone hdd to ssd
    . after successfully cloning, you need to take out your hdd and install your ssd to the location of your original hard drive, then change your boot sequence to your SSD and boot from it.

Ivy336289, Jul 14, 2018
Thema:

1. SSD & HDD Boot Up Sequence Wrong - Similar Threads - SSD HDD Boot

2. My pc boots up with the wrong ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc boots up with the wrong ssd: I built my pc and installed a 1tb ssd and downloaded windows 11 on the 1tb ssd then I bought a 2tb ssd. When I installed the new 2tb ssd I removed the old 1tb ssd and installed windows on the new 2tb then I plug back the old 1tb ssd. I have both on my pc now. I turn on my pc...
  3. My pc boots up with the wrong ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My pc boots up with the wrong ssd: I built my pc and installed a 1tb ssd and downloaded windows 11 on the 1tb ssd then I bought a 2tb ssd. When I installed the new 2tb ssd I removed the old 1tb ssd and installed windows on the new 2tb then I plug back the old 1tb ssd. I have both on my pc now. I turn on my pc...
  4. HDD/SSD Not Showing in Boot Sequence

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD/SSD Not Showing in Boot Sequence: I use Dell Inspiron 15 5559SATA 3 HDDDue to some physical issues my SATA/HDD Connector's Lid is damaged... So I can't connect my HDD there. So I decided to setup Caddy in my laptop.My laptop have SATA 3 Connection in Optical Drive so Keeping that in mind I ordered a Caddy...
  5. HDD/SSD Not Showing in Boot Sequence

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD/SSD Not Showing in Boot Sequence: I use Dell Inspiron 15 5559SATA 3 HDDDue to some physical issues my SATA/HDD Connector's Lid is damaged... So I can't connect my HDD there. So I decided to setup Caddy in my laptop.My laptop have SATA 3 Connection in Optical Drive so Keeping that in mind I ordered a Caddy...
  6. HDD/SSD Not Showing in Boot Sequence

7. HDD to SSD clone gone wrong

HDD to SSD clone gone wrong: I've recently jus tried to clone the data from my original HDD, clone all the files on the hard drive to my SSD. This being a new crucial SSD with no previously installed data. After completing this process my pc was shut down, and upon relaunching i came across issues. It...
  8. Boot Sequence doesn't have an SSD Option for Boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Boot Sequence doesn't have an SSD Option for Boot: Hi there,I hope you are doing well :I am using Dell Vostro-14 which came with 500 GB of HDD. Recently, I decided to go for an SSD 128 GB. I have formatted the SSD.Installed Windows 10 Pro on SSD with USB Drive.Deleted the HDD partitions and make 2 new partitions.But the BIOS...
  9. SSD and HDD boot sequence off

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD and HDD boot sequence off: I have a peculiar problem. I have a dell Inspiron 3521 laptop. It was running windows 10 as primary OS and Ubuntu as secondary with grub as boot manager. I got frequent BSODs so thought may be the HDD was dying so removed the HDD and replaced it with an SSD and did a clean...
  10. Windows Sort sequence irritant -- wrong sequence

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Sort sequence irritant -- wrong sequence: Hi there when browsing through tagged music files Windows seems to come up with the WRONG sort sequence For example if I'm browsing Mozart Mozart symphonies /CD 1 Mozart symphonies /CD 10 ------- /CD 14 Mozart symphonies /CD 2 Mozart symphonies /CD 3 What I...