Windows 10: SSD is Slow to Open Certain Folders

Discus and support SSD is Slow to Open Certain Folders in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I purchase a new SSD (Samsung EVO 850) a few months ago. To open certain folders, it takes a very long time to open a folder, considering it's an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by CerebralFreeze, Aug 26, 2018.

1. SSD is Slow to Open Certain Folders

Hi, I purchase a new SSD (Samsung EVO 850) a few months ago.

To open certain folders, it takes a very long time to open a folder, considering it's an SSD drive. It doesn't do with the majority of folders (even folders that contain a lot more data).

I used Samsung Magician. I enabled Rapid Mode. And, I have optimized the drive.

Yet, it's slow to open one certain folder I use all the time. It takes about 10 seconds or more for the folder to open.

What would the cause of this be?

:)

CerebralFreeze, Aug 26, 2018
  2. Arjay Dom Win User

slow ssd

Hi,

Slow SSD performance can be caused by several factors like Hybernation mode and Superfetch service.

As an initial troubleshooting step, try disabling Hibernate mode since it is unnecessary for the SSD system as it takes too much time to boot from it.

• Open Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Enter the administrator credentials once prompted.
    • In the Command Prompt window, type or copy and paste this command:

powercfg -h off
    • Press Enter.

Note: Once Hibernate is already disabled, you can also free up some space to improve its performance.

We also recommenddisabing Superfetch as one way to optimize the SSD performance:

• Press Windows key + R to open the Run
      dialog box.
    • Type services.msc and press Enter.
    • Scroll down and right-click on Superfetch.
    • Select Stop.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

*If you think this was useful, feel free to "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.*

Arjay Dom, Aug 26, 2018
  3. Jacko28 Win User
    Opening a Folder in VC++

I've recently started learning VC++ and it's coming along quite nicley, I've now been given a little task by my boss to add a button to an excisting Incident report program.

All the button needs to do is open a new explorer window and open the folder selected in the incident report program. There isn't a deadline for it, it's just to assist in my learning.

I'm not asking for anyone to do it for me, i just need a few suggestions on how to do this so i'm looking in the correct direction?

Thanks

Jacko28, Aug 26, 2018
  4. KomouPoji Win User

SSD is Slow to Open Certain Folders

Whenever I open a folder, it opens in new window (Windows 10)

Hi Pratyaksh,

To assist you further, let me ask.

• What changes have you make in the folder options?

• Is the error specific to a folder?
    I would suggest you to follow the steps and check if it help.

• Open file explorer, click on view and select options.

• Double-click on options, in the general tab click on Open each folder in the same Window.

• Click apply and ok.
    I hope the information is helpful and if you need any other assistance on Windows, we’ll be glad to assists you.

Thank you.

KomouPoji, Aug 26, 2018
Thema:

SSD is Slow to Open Certain Folders

1. SSD is Slow to Open Certain Folders - Similar Threads - SSD Slow Open

2. Opening folders suddenly got slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Opening folders suddenly got slow: Opening any folder or even selecting it on any physical drive takes approximately 3 seconds now. During this time the cursor's blue circle shows up and reappears pulsing. Browsing the same folders through any software Firefox, VLC Player, etc. works normally, meaning split...
  3. Opening folders suddenly got slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Opening folders suddenly got slow: Opening any folder or even selecting it on any physical drive takes approximately 3 seconds now. During this time the cursor's blue circle shows up and reappears pulsing. Browsing the same folders through any software Firefox, VLC Player, etc. works normally, meaning split...
  4. Opening folders suddenly got slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. OneDrive Folders Slow Opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive Folders Slow Opening: Double clicking any folder or file that is synced using OneDrive has a ~1 second delay before the folder/file actually opens. These files are are all stored locally on my computer. This delay is the same whether the folder is empty or is 2GB with thousands of files. This...
  6. OneDrive Folders Slow Opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive Folders Slow Opening: Double clicking any folder or file that is synced using OneDrive has a ~1 second delay before the folder/file actually opens. These files are are all stored locally on my computer. This delay is the same whether the folder is empty or is 2GB with thousands of files. This...
  7. CERTAIN SPECIFIC folders wont open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CERTAIN SPECIFIC folders wont open: Hi, i am trying to clear up some space on my computer. There are certain folders recommended by certain websites to be cleared out. They appear to be system folders that come with windows.I DO NOT CARE WHAT IS ESSENTIAL TO THE OPERATION OF WINDOWS. I will figure that out...
  8. windows 10 slow opening folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 slow opening folders: When I open a folder with images, it take ages to fully open, the green bar goes slowly across the top of the screen. Once the folder is fully open, and I want to sort by date, type of image or size, it goes through the same process again. Can this process be speeded up. I...
  9. 1809 update folders open slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    1809 update folders open slow: After I updated to 1809 when I click on my pictures folder it doesn't open or it takes forever to open or I just have to click it again to open. Did this update slow stuff down or what? Thanks for any input or help. 128778
  10. SSD Folder Randomly Opening

in Windows 10 Support
    SSD Folder Randomly Opening: So I just put together this new machine and for some reason Explorer keeps opening to one of my SSDs seemingly at random. The SSD is an OCZ Vertex4 256GB and the only thing it's used for is as a scratch drive for Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop CS6. This happens even when...