Windows 10: SSD nearly full. Can I partition my HDD to install more programs?

Discus and support SSD nearly full. Can I partition my HDD to install more programs? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; . I have Win 10 Pro, with 128GB SSD (C: drive), and 1TB HDD (E: drive). The SSD now has 9GB of free space.I want to know if I can partition my E... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by OldGrantonian, Dec 19, 2017.

1. SSD nearly full. Can I partition my HDD to install more programs?

I have Win 10 Pro, with 128GB SSD (C: drive), and 1TB HDD (E: drive).

The SSD now has 9GB of free space.I want to know if I can partition my E drive to allow, say, 50GB partition for further programs, leaving the remainder of the drive for data.

I use Macrium for system images, with Beyond Compare for data, so maybe that needs to be taken into account.

If it's OK to partition the E: drive for progs, I need to know whether to move the leftmost boundary to the right, or the rightmost boundary to the left. (maybe one of these is actually impossible.)

I would create a Macrium system image of my current setup, for safety. If the partition process is allowable, then that Macrium image would immediately become useless (I think), so I would create another Macrium sys image to reflect the new setup with prog files on 2 drives.

I would be grateful for any comments, suggestions, warnings, etc.

Thanks.

:)

OldGrantonian, Dec 19, 2017
  2. chazoukay Win User

Error "couldn't update the system reserved partition"

Neither partition manager would touch the "data" partition on my SSD. That's the label assigned by the SSD cloning software, not me. It's 100MB in size and nearly full, and it seems to contain the same folders that the "system reserved" partition on my old
    boot drive HDD does. I can shrink the main partition on my SSD by 300 MB, but can't merge it to "data" or extend "data." I tried using the Windows 10 ISO disk I created to see if it would make a difference -- no, it just kicked me loose with the same error
    message. As far as the other 11 suggestions proposed, I can't believe Microsoft seriously expects somebody to go through one or more or all of the them just to upgrade. The sound I'm making right now is a Bronx cheer.

chazoukay, Dec 19, 2017
  3. [ASAP] Moving License ( Recovery ) from HDD to SSD

Hi ,

I have a computer with WIN 10 License Recovery Partition on the hard drive of the HDD. Now I want to upgrade the SSD and transfer the entire WIN 10 License Recovery Partition available on the HDD to the SSD?

If so, can the recovery partition work? and Can I install WIN 10 ?

For example:

When transferring WIN recovery license to SSD, I will run Recovery to install window OEM license for PC . So it works? I had already a PC full package ( OEM License and Full hardware ) .

Thanks

Luan Quach, Dec 19, 2017
  4. SSD nearly full. Can I partition my HDD to install more programs?

You need not partition E: at all. Just install programs there as you see fit.

Better yet ... replace the C: drive SSD with a bigger one. Mine is 512 GB. I have a feeling that I'll someday want to replace it with 1 TB.

margrave55, Dec 19, 2017
  5. swarfega Win User
    Is the E: drive internal or external? If its internal you could consider moving your user folders to E: thereby freeing up space.

You could also make sure to have the latest version of OneDrive and enable Files on Demand so that only the files you need are actually stored locally.

Also run disk cleanup utility to free up some space and uninstall any apps you haven't used in a while.

swarfega, Dec 19, 2017
  6. Golden Win User
    I've done that in the past without any problems : you could re-partition (shrink) E drive into a modified smaller E and create a new small F drive partition, then simply install other programs to F drive as needed.

Correct with Macrium : image C and F separately.

Golden, Dec 19, 2017
  7. When you got all that done, I recommend making sure your "C" drive/partition has 20% or more free space.
    Windows needs a little elbow room to work properly.

Jack

Layback Bear, Dec 19, 2017
  8. SSD nearly full. Can I partition my HDD to install more programs?

Might be worth see what is using the most space as well

WinDirStat

Techjourney, Dec 19, 2017
  9. .
    Thanks to all responders for the helpful responses.

I must clarify that I'm not comfortable with having data and programs on the same partition. So for previous laptops with no SSD, my first action was always to create a new data partition. Then I moved all the data folders that were previously called "My" (such as "My Documents") to the new partition using standard Windows methods. I would then image the system partition as a backup. So if the system partition was damaged, my laptop was operational again within an hour.

So based on Golden's feedback on that configuration, I'm going to shrink E and create a new partition to be used for program overflow.

I'll also apply the suggestions of Layback Bear and Techjourney.

Thanks.

OldGrantonian, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

SSD nearly full. Can I partition my HDD to install more programs?

1. SSD nearly full. Can I partition my HDD to install more programs? - Similar Threads - SSD nearly full

2. Can I separate and move the boot partition from an old HDD to a smaller HDD or SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I separate and move the boot partition from an old HDD to a smaller HDD or SSD?: I have a 3TB HDD that I have been using for many years, and it is starting to slow down. is there any way I can move my boot data onto a smaller HDD or SSD and keep my current HDD as a storage drive? all the guides online are talking about moving from one drive to another of...
  3. i accidently deleted windows partitions from ssd and hdd both and can re install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i accidently deleted windows partitions from ssd and hdd both and can re install: plz some one tell me how to reinstall windows now only i have ubuntu installed in my laptop but i boot menu its showing that windows is installed but when i boot in windows it shows your pc needs to be repaired and only i can go to bios but my bios is password locked i cant...
  4. i accidently deleted windows partitions from ssd and hdd both and can re install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i accidently deleted windows partitions from ssd and hdd both and can re install: plz some one tell me how to reinstall windows now only i have ubuntu installed in my laptop but i boot menu its showing that windows is installed but when i boot in windows it shows your pc needs to be repaired and only i can go to bios but my bios is password locked i cant...
  5. i accidently deleted windows partitions from ssd and hdd both and can re install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. My System Reserved partition was somehow installed on my HDD instead of the SSD and this...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My System Reserved partition was somehow installed on my HDD instead of the SSD and this...: So apparently when I installed Windows a long ago I had both drives plugged in and Windows decided to install System Reserved on my HDD instead of keeping it on the same drive SSD with the rest of Windows and Recovery. I only discovered this because I was attempting to enable...
  7. RE Partition on HDD. Windows installed on SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    RE Partition on HDD. Windows installed on SSD: My Son has just bought a pre-owned PC with an SSD and HDD. The PC was in an unknown state so I performed a clean Win 10 install on the SSD before looking at the HDD. It looks to me as if the previous owner had upgraded the PC from an HDD only to one that would boot off the...
  8. SSD + HDD as Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD + HDD as Recovery Partition: Win 10 v 1909. I have never run into this before. An SSD with a 1tb HDD as recovery partition. Can someone tell me how this is done because I want to make 1tb hdd separate. New Lenovo 510A Thanks [img] 156079
  9. EFI Partition on both SSD and HDD; can I safely delete the one in HDD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    EFI Partition on both SSD and HDD; can I safely delete the one in HDD: When I installed Windows 10 on the SSD, I didn't remove the HDD (it's on an Acer Aspire E5-475G laptop and it was difficult to physically remove it). So I created a new EFI Partition on the SSD. Now I have an EFI partition in both my HDD and my SSD. [img] So I was...
  10. Nearly Full SSD VS HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Nearly Full SSD VS HDD: If i were to nearly fill my SSD, and it were to slow down. how would that perform compared to a non full HDD? would it make the SSD slower than the HDD? or would it still be faster? 9133