Windows 10: SSD not booting Windows 10 after cloning from HDD.

Discus and support SSD not booting Windows 10 after cloning from HDD. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently purchased a Sandisk 120GB SSD to use for running my OS from. I formatted the disk as normal then ran the EaseUS todo backup to clone the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Cinnamon, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Cinnamon Win User

SSD not booting Windows 10 after cloning from HDD.

I recently purchased a Sandisk 120GB SSD to use for running my OS from. I formatted the disk as normal then ran the EaseUS todo backup to clone the data. The cloning seemed to be successful as the SSD had all the data from the HDD including Windows 10.

However when I try and boot the PC with just the SSD a message appears saying "Checking media presence", this appears for a minute then it says "No boot detected". I have also tried changing the boot order with the HDD still installed but this will not work either. I have also tried formatting and retrying the clone, but that hasn't worked either.

This is my first time trying to put an OS on and SSD so any help would be appreciated. I do not have a windows installation disk either.

PC is a HP Pavillion 500-400na.

Thanks *Smile

:)

Cinnamon, Apr 19, 2016
  2. Ivy336289 Win User

Move Windows 10 from installed hdd to installed ssd

the simplest way is to
    clone hdd to ssd
    . after successfully cloning, you need to take out your hdd and install your ssd to the location of your original hard drive, then change your boot sequence to your SSD and boot from it.

Ivy336289, Apr 19, 2016
  3. YuanSR Win User
    Move Windows 10 from installed hdd to installed ssd

Get a disk cloning software and do the cloning job, from HDD to SSD on PC.

Change boot priority to cloned SSD in BIOS or remove HDD to test if you can boot up successfully.

Cloning method is safe but still it is good to create a backup image for your Win10 before you start.

For detailed steps with screenshots, you may need:
    migrate Windows 10 to SSD without data loss

YuanSR, Apr 19, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Apr 20, 2016
  5. Cinnamon Win User
    Thanks for the reply. Here is the disk management for my PC, Disk 0 is the SSD, Disk 1 the HDD.
    SSD not booting Windows 10 after cloning from HDD. [​IMG]

Cinnamon, Apr 20, 2016
  6. Word Man Win User
    Hi, Cinnamon. You have only cloned your Windows partition onto the SSD - that's why it's not bootable. The EFI System Partition is required on the SSD for booting. You should have cloned entire disk but then C: would need resized.

An alternative strategy would be to perform a clean install of Win10 with only the SSD installed, then restore to the new C: partition from your old C: partition from a backup.

I don't use Todo EaseUs so not intimately familiar with it's capabilities. I do know that Macrium Reflect can do this easily. I recommend a backup / restore strategy for HDD/SSD replacement over cloning - but I'm not an expert, only have personal experience and observed the frequency of problems reported here at TenForums and other fora.

Word Man, Apr 20, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yep. Or you can use MiniTool Partition Wizard Free to shrink the Windows partition on the SSD enough to allow the EFI system partition to be copied over.

NavyLCDR, Apr 20, 2016
  8. Cinnamon Win User

Okay, I have shrunk the partition, how do I go about copying just the EFI partition over?

Cinnamon, Apr 20, 2016
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    I never recommend cloning

Use the IMAGING facility of something like Free macrium -- Image the system reserved and OS partitions to another partition or separate HDD - then restore image back to the new SSD.

You can re-size the partitions on the new HDD/SSD with GPARTED / Partition wizard or whatever.

I always find taking images is better than cloning - even if it requires an extra step (restore).

You can use USB-->SATA connectors for restoring the image to SSD before physically installing SSD on computer.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 20, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Use the MiniTool Partition Wizard copy partition function.

NavyLCDR, Apr 20, 2016
  11. Cinnamon Win User
    Okay, so I have attempted to copy the EFI system partition but without success. I created the partition and then did a copy of the EFI however when trying to boot the SSD on its own it errors again, this time the error was on a Windows screen not the BIOS, I think the error said no OS found.

From what I can see the EFI hasn't copied properly, as there is no EFI partition label on the partition as there is on the HDD, I have attached a screenshot. Thanks for your help on this, any suggestions appreciated.

Cinnamon, Apr 20, 2016
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Ok copying has failed so now try the Imaging method - OK it's an extra step but I've always found it works.

Create a bootable Free Macrium USB and boot from it to create the image and restore. Use Rufus to create a bootable USB from the ISO.

People often suggest cloning - but I've found in spite of the extra work Imaging always works.

Do include the windows reserved system partition in the image and ensure the boot partition is active.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 20, 2016
  13. Cinnamon Win User

Hi jimbo45

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give this a go

Cinnamon, Apr 20, 2016
  14. Word Man Win User
    Or, to avoid the largish extra partitioning you have and extra partition resizing you'll need, use the clean install and C: partition resized restore method mentioned earlier in post #4 - you'll then end up with a more standard (according to MS) GPT partitioning scheme.

Word Man, Apr 20, 2016
  15. Cinnamon Win User
    Cinnamon, Apr 21, 2016
Thema:

1. SSD not booting Windows 10 after cloning from HDD. - Similar Threads - SSD booting cloning

2. Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?: I've recently got my new SSD and cloned the HDD to it. When I went back to the BIOS to set the boot priority and restarted the computer, it wouldn't boot Windows 10 "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". My SSD is...
  3. HDD to SSD NVME not booting after clone

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    HDD to SSD NVME not booting after clone: Here is my issues, after cloning, I can find the SSD but once boot with that the screen is hanging. Have to use HDD to boot. Please help how to modify it. Do I need to redo it. [img] [img] 175565
  4. Cloned HDD onto SSD, managed to boot from SSD, formatted HDD, now SSD won't boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cloned HDD onto SSD, managed to boot from SSD, formatted HDD, now SSD won't boot: Full details - I bought a new Samsung SSD for my laptop, put it into the spare M.2 NVME slot, cloned my OEM installed SSD onto it using Samsung Data Migration, removed the OEM SSD, booted from the new one and it worked like a charm. Now, I tried to do the same thing with my...
  5. Cloning an SSD from an HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning an SSD from an HDD: Im planning on swapping out my laptops HDD with an SSD, and I was wondering if the OS clones to the new drive? Also I have a few programs that have licenses using ilok so would those carry over too or would i have to authenticate my software again? Thanks in advance!...
  6. Cloning Windows from an HDD to an SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloning Windows from an HDD to an SSD: I'm trying to clone my Windows PC. I have a 220GB SSD installed with a 1 TB HDD. What I'm trying to do is clone Windows and leave my documents and Images etc: on the HDD. When setting up the cloning software I have deleted the "Users" folder from the cloning operation. I now...
  7. Trying to boot Windows 10 from HDD to a cloned SSD, having issues!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to boot Windows 10 from HDD to a cloned SSD, having issues!: So, I have an issue I got an see computer that has good hardware but it's slow and muddy. Long story short I got an SSD from a friend and I wiped my computer so I could clone it. I used Macrium Reflect and it seems to have worked just fine, it looks just like the tutorial...
  8. HDD Clone To SSD Won't Boot After A Week...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HDD Clone To SSD Won't Boot After A Week...: I recently cloned the hard drive in my cousin's computer over to an SSD. The computer booted just fine on the first try with the SSD. I ran some updates and got rid of some startup programs she didn't need. She got it back a couple of days later and it was running fine....
  9. How do I boot Windows 10 from my SSD after cloning from HDD?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I boot Windows 10 from my SSD after cloning from HDD?: Ok, so I just recently got an ASUS GL553VD. Since it didn't come with an SSD, I decided to add one. I got a Samsung NVMe 960 EVO SSD and installed it into the laptop, in addition to the 1 TB HDD that was already there. After looking up how to migrate windows 10 to an SSD, I...
  10. Can't Boot Win10 from SSD (HDD clone)

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Boot Win10 from SSD (HDD clone): I've a 2TB Toshiba HDD and recently purchased a 480GB PNY SSD. I would like to migrate all the data the HDD contains to the SSD, use the SSD as my main drive and just dump movies, photos etc. to the HDD later. Since I've only about 300GB on the HDD, I wanted to a direct...