Windows 10: SSD not recognized by Windows 10 installer

Discus and support SSD not recognized by Windows 10 installer in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Recently I've purchased a SSD (Crucial MX200) as replacement for the original HD of my laptop (Lenovo ideapad s510p). The problem is that my bios... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DavidP, May 12, 2016.

1. DavidP Win User

SSD not recognized by Windows 10 installer

Recently I've purchased a SSD (Crucial MX200) as replacement for the original HD of my laptop (Lenovo ideapad s510p).
    The problem is that my bios doesn't recognize the SSD, even though the manufacturer (Crucial) guarantee the total compatibility of the device with my system (I checked this on their website).

I'll try now to summarize the situation:
    • The SSD is detected by my current system (Windows 8.1 Home) or by a live distribution of Ubuntu, if connected through a USB 3.0 adapter.
    • The firmware is up to date, version MU03, checked with "Crucial Storage Executive".
    • The SSD is correctly recognized if installed into another laptop (I've succesfully installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on it just for trying).
    • The SSD is not detected by the BIOS, Ubuntu installer or Windows 10 installer.
    • The SSD is recognized by the BIOS if and only if at start up I press the hotkey for entering the BIOS and wait for 5-10 minutes (during this period the screen is black). If I reboot the system in order to run the Windows 10 (or ubuntu) installation, the SSD is not recognized anymore.
    • The SSD doesn't show both in GParted or by using the diskpart utility of the Windows 10 installer.

I've tried every combination of BIOS's settings, like AHCI or IDE, UEFI or Legacy, disabling secure boot and so on. I've tried to disable everything I could, I've even tried to remove the DVD drive.
    I've tried to format the SSD (while connected through the USB 3.0 adapter) both with Windows and Ubuntu, trying both MBR and GPT or leaving the space unallocated.

There is one thing that I've noticed. If I enter the BIOS (with the original HD inserted in the laptop), next to the name of the HD and the DVD drive there is an R, e.g.:
    HD 500 GB ... (R1)
    DVD .... (R2)

If instead I install the SSD and wait for the 5-10 minutes that I've mentioned before, the situation becomes like this:
    SSD 250 GB ... (S1)
    DVD .... (S2)

Basically, the R becomes S. I don't know the meaning of this, maybe it may be useful for you.

I've tried anything I could but I can't find the problem, any help/advice would be appreciated.

:)

DavidP, May 12, 2016

2. Windows 10 on a SSD which doesn't work

Hello,

recently my SSD crashed and even though it is recognized by the computer, it seems empty. The problem is that I upgraded a Windows 7 into a Windows 10 pro and that it was installed on the SSD. If I can't get any of the SSD's data back, do I have to buy a
    new Windows 10 ?

Narcisse Nouridfer, May 12, 2016
  3. pjhinch Win User
    Hard drive is recognised as SSD drive in windows 10.

Original Title: HTS Hard drive (HDD) now recognized as an SSD drive upon upgrade to win 10

DID an upgrade of a new hdd ---HGST HTS725050A7E630 HDD --500gb 7200rpm---Hitachi? to windows 10.

Fresh install of win 7 on this acer laptop worked and defragged correctly...on install of win10..hard drive now recognized as a ssd ,so won't defrag etc. how to fix?

pjhinch, May 12, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, May 12, 2016
  5. DavidP Win User
    DavidP, May 12, 2016
  6. CountMike New Member
    Make and model should not make any difference as long as it's same type of connection.

CountMike, May 13, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Point is the idea- cloning. As to why your SSD isn't recognised, I don't know I'm afraid. Why cloning would succeed- no idea. Just a suggestion.

Needs someone with detailed knowledge of this area.

dalchina, May 13, 2016
  8. DavidP Win User

Do you mean that If I buy another SSD (different brand) the same problem is likely to show up? That is, that the problem is related to my laptop?

Ok, I get it now, I didn't understand your first message. Unfortunately, cloning is not possible at the moment because the capacity of the SSD is smaller than the one of the original HD (I would need to buy another HD for saving data).

My idea was to get a refund and substitute the SSD with another model (in case there are no other tests to do).

DavidP, May 13, 2016
  9. CountMike New Member
    SATA controller in the laptop has a lot to do with disks. Can you see that SSD in the BIOS properly, like make and model ?

CountMike, May 13, 2016
  10. DavidP Win User
    If at start up I press the hotkey for accessing the BIOS, and wait for 5-10 minutes (the screen is black in the meanwhile), the SSD will be recognized (I can read Crucial, some numbers and letters and the capacity)

DavidP, May 13, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    That is similar to this experience here on this laptop model from one of the links I posted:
    05-03-2014 06:56 AM Hello Vincent,
    you have tried to leave the PC on hold for 5 minutes or more?
    After this time my pc goes into bios and the disk is recognized.
    But .. unfortunately there is a but .. when I install Windows 8.1 does not recognize it ..
    I do not think it's a problem of the discs crucial because I had a chance to try it on other PCs and they work very well.

And following that users' experience shows Samsung and Kingston SSD's work.

This again contrasts cloning vs swapping:
    J'ai un nouvel ordinateur portable depuis 3 semaines (processeur i5 et windows 8.1) j'ai acheté il y a une dizaine de jour le M550 256Gb avec le kit de clonage (avec le logiciel Acronis True image HD), j'ai donc cloné le HD, tout s"est bien passé, mais quand j'interverti le disque dur et le SSD, mon ordi ne démarre plus

So it seems your PC and Crucial SSD may not make a happy couple...

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. SSD not recognized by Windows 10 installer - Similar Threads - SSD recognized installer

2. SSD not recognized by windows 10 / 11 installer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD not recognized by windows 10 / 11 installer: In a nutshell, I have a brand new Acer laptop, and I'm trying to install Windows 10 / 11 on it, but the installer can't see the SSD drive. When I get to the part with the partitioning setup, with "where do you want to install windows?", I get an empty partition table with...
  3. SSD not recognized by windows 10 / 11 installer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD not recognized by windows 10 / 11 installer: In a nutshell, I have a brand new Acer laptop, and I'm trying to install Windows 10 / 11 on it, but the installer can't see the SSD drive. When I get to the part with the partitioning setup, with "where do you want to install windows?", I get an empty partition table with...
  4. SSD not recognized on windows 10 clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD not recognized on windows 10 clean install: Hi all,I've read so many similar threads on this topic and have seemed to try them all without success. I am upgrading my dad's computer for Christmas but am running into this issue. I have opted to do a clean windows 10 install to the new NVME. The drive appears formatted to...
  5. SSD not recognized on windows 10 clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD not recognized on windows 10 clean install: Hi all,I've read so many similar threads on this topic and have seemed to try them all without success. I am upgrading my dad's computer for Christmas but am running into this issue. I have opted to do a clean windows 10 install to the new NVME. The drive appears formatted to...
  6. SSD not recognized on windows 10 clean install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows 10 fresh install not recognizing SSD

Windows 10 fresh install not recognizing SSD: Hey all, I'm currently trying to install windows on a new ssd through a windows 10 media creation tool install on a USB drive. I get as far as setup, where I try to install windows to a drive, and by new drive doesn't show up. The drive has never been partitioned or used...
  8. Windows Installer not recognizing SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Installer not recognizing SSD: Just got this laptop with no OS, Asus VivoBook S 14" S433EQ with an intel ssdpeknw 512gb ssd Bios recognizes ssd, i can easily install linux and format said ssd on it, but the owner of this computer needs windows on it, only problem is that when i try to install windows on...
  9. Windows 10 Install not recognizing new SSD

Windows 10 Install not recognizing new SSD: Hey all, I'm currently trying to install windows on a new ssd through a windows 10 media creation tool install on a USB drive. I get as far as setup, where I try to install windows to a drive, and by new drive doesn't show up. The drive has never been partitioned or used...
  10. Windows 10 install disk does not recognize SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 install disk does not recognize SSD: I want to clean install Windows 10 on another hard drive. When the custom dialogue comes up and it asks me which hard drive I want it to go on to, it does not give me the hard drive I want to put it on as an option. It is a 160 GB SSD. Windows 10 was registering it as a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ssd not recognized windows 10

2. ssd not recognised windows 10

3. windows 10 install ssd not detected

4. ssd drive not recognized windows 10,
  5. ssd not being recognized by windows 10,
  6. ssd is not recognized in windows 10,
  7. crucial ssd not recognized on lenovo,
  8. crucial mx500 not recognized win 10 install,
  9. windows 10 installation ssd not detected,
  10. windows 10 usb installer recognizes sata ssd then the device is not found,
  11. windows 10 installer does not detect my 256 gb ssd,
  12. ssd not recognised after clean install,
  13. SSD not recognised following a Windows 10 re-install,
  14. microsoft store downloads to e drive ssd not working,
  15. do i have to install windows before my ssd will be recognized