Windows 10: SSD question

Discus and support SSD question in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Samsung Magician isn't Win 10 ready. Can I uninstall it? Will Win 10 properly manage my SSD without Magician? Sometimes my PC will not shut down.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by BillS22, Aug 7, 2015.

1. BillS22 Win User

SSD question

Samsung Magician isn't Win 10 ready.
    Can I uninstall it? Will Win 10 properly manage my SSD without Magician?

Sometimes my PC will not shut down. It powers off, but a few seconds later reboots. I suspect Magician and Windows incompatibility.

Early reports of Win 10 is that it manages SSD's well. I also notice that under System / Power that Win defaulted to Balanced and Samsung, while available, wasn't checked.

I sense a dissconnect between Win 10 and my SSD, or at least Samsung Magician software.

:)

BillS22, Aug 7, 2015

2. HDD to new SSD Question

I'm going to upgrade my laptop with a SSD along side my HDD which currently has windows 10 on it, or course. My question is, is it possible to move that version of windows 10 on the new SSD and boot it from there or do I just have to run a clean version
    from the SSD?

Rodrick Boley, Aug 7, 2015
  3. HDD to new SSD Question

Hi Rodrick, I am Rob, a volunteer and a 10 time and dual award MVP specializing in Windows troubleshooting and Bluescreen analysis. Please remember as volunteers we are not responsible for the development of Windows or the computer hardware and drivers.

You can transfer a System Image or do a Clean Install.

How to Create a Full-Disk Backup of Your PC with Macrium Reflect

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7363/macrium-re...

A Clean Install then it would be activated with the Digital Entitlement.

How to Prepare Bootable Install Media for Windows 10 - DVD, USB or SD Card

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Start fresh with a clean installation of Windows 10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...

Clean Install Windows 10

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

Please let us know the results and if you need further assistance.

SpiritX MS MVP, Aug 7, 2015
  4. Cliff S New Member

SSD question

1. Magician is still good to have for your SSD's firmware updates, it also provides SMART(Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology)information, and you cam check the status of the disk(AHCI on or what "Optimization settings you are currently using) You can right click the system tray icon and remove it from start up if you wish(what I did), but yes you can uninstall it if you so wish.

2. Check your Advanced Power settings in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options

SSD question [​IMG]

3. Windows 10 has Optimize drives to force Trim or does it automatically after approximately 28 days.

4. I don't understand what you mean here*Confused

Cliff S, Aug 7, 2015
  5. You do not need Samsungs software to get the most out of your SSD. Windows as everything it needs built in.

logicearth, Aug 7, 2015
  6. brummyfan Win User
    Just ignore Samsung magician, it's a complete waste of time and very irritating utility IMHO.

brummyfan, Aug 7, 2015
  7. Maggelan Win User
    With the magician software you can enable Rapid mode, which isn't available currently without some err tweaking of the registry.

Rapid mode takes a small section of the ssd and makes it a cache for the ssd much larger than the ram cache they have and uses that to increase speeds to 1000mb/s + read/write.

Maggelan, Aug 7, 2015
  8. MikeyTG Win User

SSD question

How do you see that Magician is not Win 10 ready? I have Magician 4.6 and it seems to run normally under Win 10. I only run it when I want to check things, I don't use "run at boot".

MikeyTG, Aug 7, 2015
  9. swarfega Win User
    I will not be installing it until it states it works with Windows 10.

swarfega, Aug 7, 2015
  10. I have it running on two Win10 machines. No problems with here.

CountryBumkin, Aug 7, 2015
  11. BillS22 Win User
    Thank for everybody's help, but I am still confused:
    Per this screen shot Magician 4.6 isn't recognizing Win 10. Rapid Mode isn't working and the OS is not Recognized.

SSD question [​IMG]

And under Control Panel / Power Options I see this

SSD question [​IMG]

Windows gives me a Samsung High Performance option.

I'm not sure if Windows is trying to use Magician's settings, or is this a Windows option.

BillS22, Aug 7, 2015
  12. Cliff S New Member
    That's just the Power Settings you can create with it.
    SSD question [​IMG]

Cliff S, Aug 7, 2015
  13. BillS22 Win User

SSD question

But the settings don't agree. Concerning the Sleep and Hybernation settings, The Magician settings don't match the Windows settings. I don't think Magician 4.6 is accurately modifying Windows 10. At least with my install.

This is why I'm zeroing in on Magician as a possible explanation for my shut down problem.

BillS22, Aug 7, 2015
  14. Cliff S New Member
    Try changing to normal High Performance with these settings:

SSD question [​IMG]

SSD question [​IMG]

SSD question [​IMG]

SSD question [​IMG]

Cliff S, Aug 7, 2015
  15. BillS22 Win User
    I just booted 5 times and all went well.
    What I did was delete all accounts but my own. ( that was ok because the other accounts haven't been used)
    not sure this worked, but I did notice when I went to delete one account, Windows stopped me. Windows said that account was logged in. Could be an old left over from an improper shut down in Win 7. But I got it deleted.

So far, five shut downs without errors.

BillS22, Aug 7, 2015
Thema:

SSD question

1. SSD question - Similar Threads - SSD question

2. my SSD has a blue question mark on it why and how can i get rid of it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my SSD has a blue question mark on it why and how can i get rid of it: i lost my data SSD so i went in the bios and saw it wasn't there i tapped on the back of my notebook and rebooted it and it showed up so obviously a failure or connection. so when i went to windows 11 pro i found it no problem but a blue question mark was on it. so i l shut...
  3. my SSD has a blue question mark on it why and how can i get rid of it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my SSD has a blue question mark on it why and how can i get rid of it: i lost my data SSD so i went in the bios and saw it wasn't there i tapped on the back of my notebook and rebooted it and it showed up so obviously a failure or connection. so when i went to windows 11 pro i found it no problem but a blue question mark was on it. so i l shut...
  4. Blue question mark on new SSD drive and can not find "Assign Drive Letter" option

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Blue question mark on new SSD drive and can not find "Assign Drive Letter" option: This nooby decided to swap one secondary SSD drive with a new one in my laptop. But i got a blue questionmark. I started doing some Googling and released it was something to do with windows not able to to assgin a drive letter to the drive.I have check the connection which...
  5. Blue question mark on new SSD drive and can not find "Assign Drive Letter" option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue question mark on new SSD drive and can not find "Assign Drive Letter" option: This nooby decided to swap one secondary SSD drive with a new one in my laptop. But i got a blue questionmark. I started doing some Googling and released it was something to do with windows not able to to assgin a drive letter to the drive.I have check the connection which...
  6. Blue question mark on new SSD drive and can not find "Assign Drive Letter" option

7. Blue question mark on new SSD deive can not find" Assign Drive Letter" option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue question mark on new SSD deive can not find" Assign Drive Letter" option: This nooby decided to swap one secondary SSD drive with a new one in my laptop. But i got a blue questionmark. I started doing some Googling and released it was something to do with windows not able to to assgin a drive letter to the drive.I have check the connection which...
  8. Blue question mark on new SSD deive can not find" Assign Drive Letter" option

Blue question mark on new SSD deive can not find" Assign Drive Letter" option: This nooby decided to swap one secondary SSD drive with a new one in my laptop. But i got a blue questionmark. I started doing some Googling and released it was something to do with windows not able to to assgin a drive letter to the drive.I have check the connection which...
  9. Blue question mark on new SSD deive can not find" Assign Drive Letter" option

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. 2 windows OS for 1 data SSD, question about file right/owning.

2 windows OS for 1 data SSD, question about file right/owning.: Hello MS community. I came here because I'm stuck after one of my neighbor asked me a question for a case I never been in. He actually own a nearly 10yo old PC, still under W7 for some specific software he's using, as well as for retro gaming. Steam forcing W10 utilization on...