Windows 10: SSD running out of space prematurely

Discus and support SSD running out of space prematurely in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I use a 120gb ssd on W10 build 10547 and always get rid of Windows old files for earlier builds. When I add up all the space used when C drive is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tinmar49, Sep 20, 2015.

1. tinmar49 Win User

SSD running out of space prematurely

I use a 120gb ssd on W10 build 10547 and always get rid of Windows old files for earlier builds. When I add up all the space used when C drive is opened in a new window, it comes to 31gb. Trouble is that the disk has actually 88.2gb used, confirmed also by Partition wizard. AMD uses 2gb, docs/downloads 9gb, windows 14gb, recovery 5gb, 32/64 programs 1gb, it really should be a slim system.

:)

tinmar49, Sep 20, 2015
  2. PeterG115 Win User

Low Disk Space - You are running out of disk space on windows RE tools message

Glad you found the information helpful Mike. We both saved money and time.

PeterG115, Sep 20, 2015
  3. Low Disk Space - You are running out of disk space on windows RE tools message

Hello Mike,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and Thank you for posting your query.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused with Windows 10. I understand you are receiving Low disk space popup message.

Thanks for providing the screenshots and details about the issue.

Recovery drive is to store all the files needed to do an emergency recovery when the system becomes unstable like to do a system restore.

The Recovery drive is actually a partition on the main hard drive in your computer - not an actual, physical drive. It has much less available space than Drive (CSSD running out of space prematurely :).

You may please refer to the below article about a similar issue and check if it helps.

HP PCs - Error: Low Disk Space. You are running out of disk space on Recovery (Windows 8)

HP PCs - Error: Low Disk Space. You are running out of disk space on Recovery (Windows 8) | HP® Customer Support

(The Steps given for Windows 8 in the above link also applies to Windows 10).

Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepak Kodi, Sep 20, 2015
  4. Cliff S New Member

Add up those numbers you get 31. Now about 120gb drive minus 31used is what? 89? are you reading you drive correctly, you have 89GB free space*Smile
    SSD running out of space prematurely [​IMG]

SSD running out of space prematurely [​IMG]

Cliff S, Sep 20, 2015
  5. tinmar49 Win User
    I have just double checked, and out of 111gb, used space is 87.4 and free space is 23.8gb. There must be hidden files somewhere.

tinmar49, Sep 20, 2015
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Take a look in storage sense in the settings app, if you don't find anything there, open file explorer put a check in Hidden Item under the View tab, and take a looksy there.

Cliff S, Sep 20, 2015
  7. tinmar49 Win User
    Will do, I just switched over to W10 upgrade and turned on the other two pc's with W10 upgrades and allowing for extra space used on them, they are 39gb, 40gb and 45gb used.

tinmar49, Sep 20, 2015
  8. Cliff S New Member

That's just totally odd, the disk space amounts seemed switched around on the problem PC*Confused

Cliff S, Sep 21, 2015
  9. AEOUserID Win User
    Check System Protection to see if your max usage is set for the entire SSD. Had the same problem, and the max usage continues to override 6-10% I select.

AEOUserID, Sep 21, 2015
  10. tinmar49 Win User
    Thanks Cliff, I found 41gb in use for system restore, I reduced to 8%, 8.9gb, and dumped the 41gb. Now C is a better size, 46.5gb. Windows was telling porkys about system restore.

tinmar49, Sep 21, 2015
  11. Snakeyes Win User
    At the risk of being obvious Hyberfil.sys , pagefile.sys and Swapfile.sys ?

Snakeyes, Sep 21, 2015
  12. Cliff S New Member
    Welcome to the forums, and what a good start*Thumbs
    I wouldn't have thought of System protection, because after installing I always give it 7-8% or 10 GB which is larger for VSS to have enough room and for dump files.

Cliff S, Sep 21, 2015
  13. tinmar49 Win User

Funny thing is that I haven't yet got round to setting the restore parameters in the other three.

tinmar49, Sep 21, 2015
  14. tinmar49 Win User
    One of the shortcomings of forums when posts are coming frequently is highlighted by AEOUserLD posting the answer at exactly the same time as I was finding it myself. Also, my one fingered typing takes me so long that replies come in while I'm distracted.

tinmar49, Sep 21, 2015
  15. AEOUserID Win User
    Not a slight to worry about, though. *Nerd

AEOUserID, Sep 21, 2015
Thema:

1. SSD running out of space prematurely - Similar Threads - SSD running space

2. Running out of 256 GB SSD Space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Running out of 256 GB SSD Space: Windows 11 Pro, Version 22H2, 64-bit operating system, x64-based processorHP Omen 25L Desktop GT12-0xxxAMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 3.59 GHz, 16.0 GB RAMWestern Digital 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD with 44.3 GB Free I want to clone or make a duplicate copy of everything...
  3. Running out of 256 GB SSD Space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Running out of 256 GB SSD Space: Windows 11 Pro, Version 22H2, 64-bit operating system, x64-based processorHP Omen 25L Desktop GT12-0xxxAMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 3.59 GHz, 16.0 GB RAMWestern Digital 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD with 44.3 GB Free I want to clone or make a duplicate copy of everything...
  4. Running out of Storage Space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Running out of Storage Space: In 2016 I purchased a Dell computer from Dell here in Germany. My previous Dell ran out of storage space which was the reason for the purchase and I wanted a PC that would have more than enough. I purchased a Dell XPS 8900, w/16.0 RAM, using WIN 10 Home. The PC has an OS...
  5. Running out of Storage Space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Running out of Storage Space: In 2016 I purchased a Dell computer from Dell here in Germany. My previous Dell ran out of storage space which was the reason for the purchase and I wanted a PC that would have more than enough. I purchased a Dell XPS 8900, w/16.0 RAM, using WIN 10 Home. The PC has an OS...
  6. Running out of Storage Space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. C Drive running out of space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C Drive running out of space: Hi, my laptop's local disk C: drive seems to be constantly filling up. I have an Acer Aspite V17, the C drive is 118GB and the D drive is 931GB. I work as an audio engineer and download a few GB worth of files each day to the laptop but always have the projects and the files...
  8. Running out of space on HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Running out of space on HDD: I'm not even sure I'm in the right sub, but help me if you can. I neglected my PC organization through college and now I'm running out of space. I've been erasing tons of old files and etc but I noticed that my space somehow gets smaller little by little from time to time. I...
  9. Running out of hard drive space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Running out of hard drive space: I have to delete 7GB from my computer to allow windows updates. Can I delete things from 'Manage optional features' list, eg English GB handwriting, English GB optical character recognition, typing, etc, Microsoft Quick assist, OpenSSH client, and XPS viewer? Thanks in...
  10. my SSD is already running out of space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    my SSD is already running out of space: Hi all So, I am now the proud owner of a new laptop. I have just spent the longest period of my life (a year) without a PC, since 1988 - absolute torture, I am lost without one. Tragic but true! I was not too sure where to put this post, software or hardware, so apologies...