Windows 10: SSD SMART Imminent Failure at reboot (only) after Win10 upgrade

Discus and support SSD SMART Imminent Failure at reboot (only) after Win10 upgrade in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello. I'm using HP 15-n061sr with Windows 10 SL and SSD Plextor PX-128M6Pro. Right after the upgrade from Windows 8.1, I started to experience... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by abocha, Jul 31, 2015.

1. abocha Win User

SSD SMART Imminent Failure at reboot (only) after Win10 upgrade

Hello.
    I'm using HP 15-n061sr with Windows 10 SL and SSD Plextor PX-128M6Pro.

Right after the upgrade from Windows 8.1, I started to experience SMART error on reboot, and only on reboot. I mean that if I just turn the laptop off and on it doesn't happen.
    It says that SMART detected a possible imminent failure of my disk. If I press "Continue startup", it says something like "insert boot device" or that it can't detect an operating system. Then I can go to BIOS options and restart from there - it boots up flawlessly.
    This happens every time I reboot. I upgraded 2 days ago.
    I have the latest SSD drivers. I used Windows' disk optimization tool. SSDLife Pro says disk health is fine.

Hoping to recieve any useful information to solve this issue.
    Thank you.

P.S. I once had imminent failure problem with my previous SSD, but it happened once and it never started again; I got the refund under warranty.
    P.P.S. English is not my native language.

:)

abocha, Jul 31, 2015

2. Win 10 upgrade and changing hard disks

I have received the offer for a free Win 10 upgrade to my existing Win7Pro computer, which had been physically upgraded over the years.

This has two SATA Hard Drives of roughly equal age, one of which has been receiving repeated warnings of an imminent failure.

Partly because of this, partly after experiencing a SolidStateDrive speed on a company laptop, I want to change my c: drive to a new SSD device.

a)

So, can I somehow use the Win10 install directly to the SSD device as a clean installation after changing disks ?

- I think I read that the answer to this is no - it will only install on a drive that already has Win7/8 running.

b)

So, if I go ahead now and change the hard drives, then reinstall Win7Pro on a new SSD c: drive.

- Will this knock out the existing offer for the free upgrade - as it considers my new hard drive a new PC ?

c)

If I lose the free upgrade offer by updating my PC now, is there any way to reacquire the offer?

thanks

BarryAston, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Heshemel Win User
    Failing SATAO drive - Help please

message on start up says:1720 -SMART hard drive defects imminent failure - failing drive SATAO failing attribute :#B8

What do I need to do?

Many thanks

Heshemel, Jul 31, 2015
  4. CountMike New Member

See if you can find in BIOS about SMART check and turn it off. It is also possible that SSD is not waking up properly.

CountMike, Jul 31, 2015
  5. abocha Win User
    Thank you for the reply.
    I found an option called Secure boot. Not sure if that's what you are talking about, but I disabled it. Reboot went without any errors, but it took some time, unusually long for an SSD. I tried clearing secure boot keys and then loading HP default ones, then enabling secure boot again. This didn't change anything - I still get no errors, but it takes around 1 minute (I checked) for my laptop to boot up, compared to ~10 seconds I've seen before.
    I will certainly post any info if my situation changes.

Edit: I got an error message now. Seems like secure boot option affects this error, so I disabled it again. Will see how it goes.
    Edit2: Secure boot is not SMART. I get the error regardless of secure boot. I noted that I get the error only if the laptop is in use for some time - I mean that there's no error if I reboot right after starting it.
    Edit3: All possible tests show that the SSD is fine (HP UEFI tests, DLGDIAG). Not once they showed other than PASSED.

abocha, Jul 31, 2015
  6. abocha Win User
    I'm not sure why, but the problem is solved.
    I figured that my laptop couldn't shut down properly, I had to turn it off with a button. I came across this thread and tried to restart using

method and it worked. Now I don't get any errors.
    I hope this could help someone.

abocha, Aug 12, 2015
  7. Rudy Mas Win User
    Try this:

Open 'Command Prompt (Admin)'
    powercfg -h off
    powercfg -h on

This will create a new 'hiberfil.sys' which could be the cause.

I didn't get a SMART failure on my system, but I also noticed that it took way more time to reboot after a shutdown than I would have expected. After resetting this file, it works normally again.

The shutdown command you use, will do a full shutdown and reboot. This means it doesn't use the hybrid function of Windows 10, which is partly shutting down and partly using the hibernation function of the system. Which increases boot up time a lot on SSDs.

So, try to reset you hibernation file and try it again. Hopefully, this will resolve all problems you have.

Rudy Mas, Aug 12, 2015
  8. abocha Win User

That helped a lot! Now I don't have any errors, plus loading time is back to ~10 seconds!
    Happy that it's finally gone *Smile
    Thank you!

abocha, Aug 12, 2015
  9. Rudy Mas Win User
    You're welcome!

Rudy Mas, Aug 12, 2015
  10. abocha Win User
    Somehow the problem still exists. I still can't turn off my pc completely - only if I recreate hiberfil.sys using your method, but it works only for once. Sometimes I get SMART error, sometimes not.

abocha, Aug 14, 2015
  11. Rudy Mas Win User
    Looks like by shutting down the PC, you damage the hiberfil.sys.

The cause could be several things. First thing we can try, is disabling hybrid shut down. This way, we can see if the hibernation part is messing up your startup procedure.

Do the following thing:

1) <win>-x -> Power Options
    2) Choose what the power button does
    3) Change settings that are currently unavailable
    4) Untick 'Turn on fast startup (recommended)'

This will disable hybrid shut down. If this helps with your SMART errors, we then know that it has something to do with the hiberfil.sys for sure.

If we know this, then we can start figuring out what is causing your file to get corrupted.

Rudy Mas, Aug 14, 2015
  12. Rudy Mas Win User
    I just checked the Plextor website, and noticed they have a firmware update for the SSD.

v1.05 from 2015/07/31

Could be they published this because there is a problem with the drive and Windows 10.

And, there is something else I noticed. The Plextor software for this drive doesn't seem to be compatible with Windows 10.

Plextor SSD Storage Solutions | Support | Downloads

Rudy Mas, Aug 14, 2015
  13. abocha Win User

Thank you for your support, but it's too late. Today my SSD crashed completely, not allowing me to boot into Windows 10. Luckily, I have Win8.1 on my second hard drive.
    It said that the drive was not initialized and had no sectors. I tried to recover data with R-Studio, but couldn't do almost anything.
    The drive can be accessed, and I'll try to complete a clean installation and upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 and Windows 10... (as I am using a laptop, I can't legally install Win10 right away). I also installed 1.05 driver.
    It might be that I decided to do that too quickly and that it could be done better, but I went the hard way...

abocha, Aug 15, 2015
  14. Rudy Mas Win User
    You can.

Win10 was installed already and activated, so from now on, you can do a clean installation of Win10 on the laptop. I already did this with my laptop, and it works fine. When asked for a product key, just skip it and when you finally log in, Win10 should be activated automatically, because it recognizes your hardware as validated already.

Rudy Mas, Aug 15, 2015
  15. abocha Win User
    Successfully installed clean Win10 and having no problems. Yes, apparently you can install Win10 right away, but if it was 8 Single Language, then it must be 10 Single Language too - I thought Home version would be ok, but it wasn't.

Shutting down issue was connected with the latest LAN driver (Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller) - I managed to notice this while installing all the drivers. Stock LAN driver that Windows offers works well though.
    Also, this re-installation fixed some small troubles.
    I'm still not sure about these SMART errors I was getting, but clean re-installation and new SSD drivers solved this completely. (hopefully) *Biggrin

Rudy Mas, thank you again, I appreciate your help a lot!

abocha, Aug 15, 2015
Thema:

1. SSD SMART Imminent Failure at reboot (only) after Win10 upgrade - Similar Threads - SSD SMART Imminent

2. Smart hard disk has detected imminent failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Smart hard disk has detected imminent failure: The smart hard disk check has detected a imminent failureWhat to do to correct this issueLaptop have ssd and hdd bothHp ssd s700 m.2 250gbAnd hdd is ToshibaIn july 2021 i purchased the ssd and put it in the laptop with the help of local computer shopNow is this ssd issue orr...
  3. Smart hard disk has detected imminent failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Smart hard disk has detected imminent failure: The smart hard disk check has detected a imminent failureWhat to do to correct this issueLaptop have ssd and hdd bothHp ssd s700 m.2 250gbAnd hdd is ToshibaIn july 2021 i purchased the ssd and put it in the laptop with the help of local computer shopNow is this ssd issue orr...
  4. Smart hard disk has detected imminent failure

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. 1720 SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure

in Windows 10 News
    1720 SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure: [ATTACH]Some PC users are reporting that when they boot their Windows 10 device, they […] This article 1720 SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. Hard Drive imminent failure

Hard Drive imminent failure: So I got the hard drive imminent failure warning, it listed my hard drive but did not show my NVME. So anyways, thinking it was my hard drive failing, I decided to upgrade it to an ssd. I cloned the drive to my new ssd and restarted my computer. I am still getting the warning...
  7. Hard drive failure imminent

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard drive failure imminent: My HP laptop bought 2016 gave me a hard drive failure imminent alert. I bought a new hard drive and handed it over to a repair tech. He had stated that the partitions have been damaged and wants to know my Windows 10 smart key before he begins to install the new hard...
  8. Smart Disk imminent failure after replacing hard drive and fresh windows 10 install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Smart Disk imminent failure after replacing hard drive and fresh windows 10 install: The hard drive on my HP Pavillion 22-A113w AIO failed got the blue screen Smart Disk imminent Failure Error code 301 and I replaced it with an new hard drive of the same make and model Toshiba DT01ACA100 and installed a fresh copy of Windows 10. I'm still getting the same...
  9. Imminent disk failure??

Imminent disk failure??: Going to look at a friends PC tomorrow, who reports that it throws up a message regarding disk problems/possible failure. He tells me that the PC will boot up. I am toying with the idea that I will (if possible) clone the existing disk to a spare. Question is will this do...
  10. Failure to Reboot after installing new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Failure to Reboot after installing new SSD: Hi, I recently bought a Dell XPS 13 laptop with a 128gb internal SSD. When I began running out of space, I bought a 500gb internal SSD to replace it. I cloned my current SSD onto the new SSD, then installed it into my laptop. When it started my laptop again, everything...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. plextor ssd windows 1803 error