Windows 10: SSD to SSD upgrade advise please

Discus and support SSD to SSD upgrade advise please in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; HI All, I'm hopefully receiving a new 500Gb SSD in the post today. At the moment I have a 250Gb SSD with my operating system on, and two internal 1Tb... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Cornishman, Sep 18, 2015.

1. SSD to SSD upgrade advise please

HI All,
    I'm hopefully receiving a new 500Gb SSD in the post today.
    At the moment I have a 250Gb SSD with my operating system on, and two internal 1Tb SATA backup drives.
    I use Acronis to image backup my system every month, rotating the location of the backup to my two internal drives.
    One month I'll backup to my "G" drive, and the next to my "F" drive.
    I've got the latest 2016 Acronis.
    I want to clone my 250Gb SSD to my new 500Gb SSD.
    I could use the Acronis clone tool, which would mean I would have to connect both SSD's inside my pc then disconnect the smaller one after, but I'd rather disconnect my smaller SSD, insert my new drive, then boot from an Acronis boot disk and restore one of the images from my "F" or "G" drives to the new SSD.
    Would I have to prepare the new SSD drive before installing it? So that it can boot?
    Would I have to format it first?
    I have an SSD enclosure to USB, could I use that to format it?
    Thanks!

:)

Cornishman, Sep 18, 2015
  2. den.ward Win User

Windows activation key

I upgraded the SSD to a larger capacity. I cloned the smaller SSD on to the larger SSD. It boots.

Now the PC is telling me that I need to activate Windows. I called Microsoft and they put me into an automated activation key process. It was not successful.

Can someone advise me on how to recover the activation key from the smaller SSD? It came, Windows 10 enabled, with the machine.

den.ward, Sep 18, 2015
  3. Replacing Hard drive - Windows 10 (upgraded) Product Key

A bunch of questions! I've got a Vaio Flip and would like to upgrade my SSD. The SSD on my laptop is mSATA and I don't have the adapter to clone my current installed windows to the new mSATA SSD. Then I have to clone the Windows to a usb and then install
    it on the new SSD. However, it seems that I need a boot disk (usb) to turn my laptop on. My Windows is beeing upgraded from 8.1 to 10 and I can't find the product key. Then I can download windows and make a boot usb. Does anybody know what I can do? Any suggestion?
    I'm not professional in IT, then if you're advising, please make it as simple and straight as possible SSD to SSD upgrade advise please ;)

BehroozBalaei, Sep 18, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

SSD to SSD upgrade advise please

• Put the new SSD in the enclosure and clone your current SSD to it.
    • Open Disk management, right click on the new SSD->Extend Volume so you'll get full 500GB.
    • Replace the SSD with the new one and boot up.

topgundcp, Sep 18, 2015
  5. Would that work? This is what my Acronis manual says:

SSD to SSD upgrade advise please [​IMG]

Cornishman, Sep 18, 2015
  6. axe0 New Member
    The first is a standard thing to check.
    The second I didn't know.

I would
    • Create a system backup of the SSD
    • Restore the backup to the 500GB SSD
    • Disconnect every storage device
    • Boot from the new SSD.

This worked for me when I had replaced my HDD with a SSD

But I understand that replacing hardware in windows 10 would give problems regarding the activation of windows because windows registers your hardware.

7. I thought that replacing a hard drive was OK regarding activation, replacing the motherboard would be different. I might be wrong?

Cornishman, Sep 18, 2015
  8. axe0 New Member

9. topgundcp Win User
    You use the USB enclosure to clone the disk then replace it with the old one inside your PC case. After cloning, you cannot boot from the USB which is true. Windows 10 does not allow to boot from USB except if you have the Enterprise edition and build Windows to go then you can boot from USB.

The only thing that will require re-activation is your Mother Board. Replacing any other devices such as SSD/HD, DVD, Memory, Video Card etc... will not affect activation so you are OK.

topgundcp, Sep 18, 2015
  10. Well I managed to do it!
    I put my new 500Gb SSD into a USB external enclosure and formatted it. Had a slight problem recognizing the disk at first, went into disk management and sorted it out.
    I then took my old SSD out of my pc, put the new one in, booted up from my Acronis recovery disk, browsed for my image on the SATA internal "G" drive, and it recovered my system to the new SSD in under 10 minutes.
    Booted up fine, checked for the Windows activation, and it was activated!!! *Biggrin

Cornishman, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. SSD to SSD upgrade advise please - Similar Threads - SSD SSD upgrade

2. Upgrading ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrading ssd: Would I need to buy a new windows 11 OS key if I upgrade my ssd to a larger capacity? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-ssd/006bae5e-6a8c-4d39-92c8-bf248cce0d91
  3. Upgrade to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade to SSD: Hi All. I'm new on here so hello first of all, and I'm hoping you can give me some advice and tips. I have successfully upgraded a few desktop pc's to SSD at work, using Acronis cloning software and haven't come across any issues with them. it is a simple process of...
  4. Upgrading SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading SSD: I recently ordered a new SSD and before I do anything insensible I want to be sure what I am trying to do is legit, I am currently using windows on a 256GB SSD which I want to upgrade to a 500GB and run windows from there, is this possible with the activation key I am...
  5. SSD Upgrade

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD Upgrade: Hi I have just upgraded my HP Envy laptop from a HDD to the SSD, in particular the Samsung 870 QVO 1TB drive.. Reading on the web I notice that SSD's have a lifespan and this drive is warranted from Samsung for 3 years or 360TBW.. Using there software it shows that since...
  6. Upgrading SSD

Upgrading SSD: Good day, I would like to ask since I am thinking of upgrading my M.2 Sata III SSD to a much bigger one. Is there a way to duplicate my Windows 10 Home to the newly bought SSD without loosing my files and as well my license of Windows. If so I would like to ask how and the...
  7. Upgrading SSD

Upgrading SSD: Hello, I recently purchased a used laptop and the main drive does not have enough space to add stuff. It's a 29GB SSD Drive. I want to upgrade it to a larger drive. It's currently running windows 10 pro. I have made a recovery disk on my USB. When I removed the old SSD and...
  8. Upgrade to SSD

Upgrade to SSD: Hi there.. how can I use my SSD for my windows 10 OS, programs and HDD for storage? I tried to clone it but, only got 120GB SSD and my (C) drive got 220GB. should I do clean install or can I just clone my OS to SSD? is there way to do it? Thanks In Advance.....
  9. SSD upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    SSD upgrade: Hi all. I have a six year old Dell Studio 1747 laptop; which is still performing great. The only problem I've had with it was design flaw incorporating the on/off switch in the hinge. Anyways I digress. I have a 240GB SSD on order and plan on replacing the 500GB hard drive;...
  10. Upgrade an SSD... or not?

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrade an SSD... or not?: I have a 256Gb SSD w an upgraded WIn 8.1 on it that I pulled from a laptop that died... I'm guessing the laptop died (mobo or proc) cause it won't even post. I'd like to upgrade the OS on the drive to Win 10 since it's free now. I've upgraded my main machine so I'm familiar w...