Windows 10: SSD trim on an MBR install

Discus and support SSD trim on an MBR install in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I currently see 3 drives in 'optimize drives' as follows: C: , System Reserved which I assume has the boot tables and stuff, and what appears to be a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by mrpumpkin, Feb 2, 2016.

1. mrpumpkin Win User

SSD trim on an MBR install

I currently see 3 drives in 'optimize drives' as follows: C: , System Reserved which I assume has the boot tables and stuff, and what appears to be a network drive displayed \\?Volume{8ebc5064-0000-0000- etc.

In Disk Management I have the System Reserve partition and C: plus a 450 MB recovery partition.

My concern is that I can only trim the C: drive and not the System Reserved 100mb drive. Is this a thing or a non concern?

This was a fresh install after an upgrade, and my 1st SSD experience. Things right now are good and have been so since NOV. I am just worried about a corrupted boot table or something unforeseen.

:)

mrpumpkin, Feb 2, 2016

2. Defragment & SSD

Hi.

I have installed a Samsung SSD 850 Evo on a Windows 10 build 10.0.14393.

In the Defragment software, I saw "trimmed" instead of "defragmented".

What is trim? Is it necessary to run defragment on SSD?

Running defragment makes any problem to SSD or not?

Thank you.

Reza_Mesgaran, Feb 2, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Trim enable on new dell laptop with windows 10

Hi jmann, yes TRIM should always be enabled on an SSD for it to function efficiently

By default Windows will will manage TRIM on your SSD without any user input

To check that TRIM is enabled:

Open a Command Prompt Window and run this command:

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

If that command returns 0, trim is already enabled on your SSD

If 0 is not returned, run this command to enable TRIM:

fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0

DaveM121, Feb 2, 2016
  4. doorules Win User

That is standard fair. Have never been able to run optimize on the system reserved part of drive. Don't worry about it.

doorules, Feb 2, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    The trim command is used to wipe data from portions of the SSD that have had files stored there that have been deleted. How many files are being deleted from the System Reserved Partition on a routine basis? The answer is none. It is very, very infrequent that anything in the System Reserved Partition is changed, therefore there is no need from trim in the System Reserved Partition.

NavyLCDR, Feb 2, 2016
  6. mrpumpkin Win User
    Thanks, I was concerned that when booting read/writes might be taking place, even if small, and build up over time. The system is basically a gaming console attached to a DLP, and is rebooted frequently.

mrpumpkin, Feb 2, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    It should be reading only unless you intentionally change the boot settings.

NavyLCDR, Feb 2, 2016
  8. mrpumpkin Win User

So overclocking the CPU with tests is not a factor?

mrpumpkin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. SSD trim on an MBR install - Similar Threads - SSD trim MBR

2. SSD No trim Supported

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD No trim Supported: In above Image SSD drive Shows Trim Not supported. but my SSD drive supports Trim.can i perceive that My ssd Drive is not trimmed by Operating system or Storage controller....
  3. SSD No trim Supported

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD No trim Supported: In above Image SSD drive Shows Trim Not supported. but my SSD drive supports Trim.can i perceive that My ssd Drive is not trimmed by Operating system or Storage controller....
  4. About trimming SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    About trimming SSD: Hello everyone. I would like to ask how often I should trim my SSD by using the disk defragmentation utility of Windows 11. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/about-trimming-ssd/ab835a3b-fb60-4fd7-b902-0cd36486b1a2
  5. ssd trim problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ssd trim problem: Hello I have 2 ssd drives micron and lexar and after windows 10 1709 version to latest version of windows 10 and windows 11 I'm having trim not enabled issue, hdd sentinel software says that trim is supported but disabled and I have tried many ways and software's but I just...
  6. ssd trim problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ssd trim problem: Hello I have 2 ssd drives micron and lexar and after windows 10 1709 version to latest version of windows 10 and windows 11 I'm having trim not enabled issue, hdd sentinel software says that trim is supported but disabled and I have tried many ways and software's but I just...
  7. ssd trim problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. ssd trim

ssd trim: NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled) I have read articles and none show this so does this mean my trim is enabled or disabled? I think the 0 means it is enabled but it says disabled at the end. 134705
  9. Trim a New SSD?

Trim a New SSD?: Several months ago I replaced my system disk with an SSD. NowI just installed a Sandisk 240g to replace an old HDD data disk on build 1703. I initialized and formatted it using Minitools Partition Magic as a GPT disk and copied my the data from the HDD to the new SSD. The...
  10. SSD Trim Question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD Trim Question: Hi There Wondering if SSD Trim does it autoly with Windows Maintenance task? or if I should run that manually weekly, I set in the SSD dashboard, Enable Trim, Weekly for the schedule, but not sure if it ran, states under it last run none. Very very new to SSD drives, first...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. trim mbr